Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The PNW filter arrangement is a factory setup. You will need the cylinder
cover, and filter.
The chain brake is all by itself and shares no parts that i know of with other
models. Parts are next to impossible to find. "Good Luck". Most of mine
are running 404 chain, Just seems more natural on a big inch saw.
I don't see why a decomp couldn't be added as long as your cylinder has
the boss where it is located. Would need to be drilled in the correct location
and tapped. The decomp valve is NLA but i see no reason why a valve from
another manufacturer couldn't be used as long as you fit the cylinder to it.
I have not done this so others may no more.

Congrats on joining the 166 club

Lee

Thanks, Lee.

The PNW filter arrangement is a factory setup. You will need the cylinder
cover, and filter.
The chain brake is all by itself and shares no parts that i know of with other
models. Parts are next to impossible to find. "Good Luck". Most of mine
are running 404 chain, Just seems more natural on a big inch saw.
I don't see why a decomp couldn't be added as long as your cylinder has
the boss where it is located. Would need to be drilled in the correct location
and tapped. The decomp valve is NLA but i see no reason why a valve from
another manufacturer couldn't be used as long as you fit the cylinder to it.
I have not done this so others may no more.

Congrats on joining the 166 club

Lee

Congrats on the 166 - they are an awesome saw. I ordered a new decomp valve for my SP118 about 3 weeks ago, and they are still available NOS here in Australia from Makita.

Regards,

Chris.

Could also be because the only .404 listed on Stihl's website is skip and square ground skip.

Well, knock me over with a feather. Was just getting ready to submit my Bailey's order but thought I might as well call my Stihl dealer just to just check.

They have it in RS and it is 0.32/drive link. The Oregon from Bailey's was 0.43. First time in my life that has ever happened.

Figured these 2 bad boys, King of the Sachs Dolmars
deserve to be here as well.
Picked them up in the last couple months.
Both needed new top ends. Had the cylinders replated
by US Chrome and installed new Wiseco pistons. They
came PHO so i put these new bars and chisel chain on.
Both run great.

Lee

2166swithnewtopends001.jpg

2166swithnewtopends002.jpg

2166swithnewtopends003.jpg

Well, knock me over with a feather. Was just getting ready to submit my Bailey's order but thought I might as well call my Stihl dealer just to just check.

They have it in RS and it is 0.32/drive link. The Oregon from Bailey's was 0.43. First time in my life that has ever happened.

That is a surprise Steve. All the local saw shops want an arm, a leg, your first born, and sometimes your left nut for .404 (if they even stock it..............most need to order it after trying to browbeat you into running 3/8"). I noticed the sharp increase in chain prices at Baileys too (especially for Oregon). I KNEW I should have ordered those big .404 loops last year.....

Would this be a bad time to jump in and casually mention that I just picked up two almost full rolls of .404 at a garage sale for $10.00:hmm3grin2orange:

Count myself real blessed to get it. Chain is getting way too expensive.

Mr. HE:cool:

Would this be a bad time to jump in and casually mention that I just picked up two almost full rolls of .404 at a garage sale for $10.00:hmm3grin2orange:

Wish i could get that lucky.
Thats a helava deal.
I go through a lot of 404 on all
these big saws.
Congrats on a great score.

Lee

Holy CRAP! That's a screamin' deal you got there. Tellyawhat.................I'll double your money, and you can even keep one of the rolls....:jester:

Figured these 2 bad boys, King of the Sachs Dolmars
deserve to be here as well.
Picked them up in the last couple months.
Both needed new top ends. Had the cylinders replated
by US Chrome and installed new Wiseco pistons. They
came PHO so i put these new bars and chisel chain on.
Both run great.

Lee

Man, those are nice. I am turning over every stone I can turn round here, but that size saw is not very common. Every now and then, I can come across a 120 or so, but even they are rare. I'll just keep turning them stones, I guess!

There not an easy saw to find, But they do pop up
every now and then. I have found them in various locations
around the country, Not just the west coast. Have seen
them in Australia and the UK as well.
Good luck in your search, Hope you find one.

Lee

Went to the Stihl dealer today to pick up that loop of 46RS .404 (turned out to be 0.31/driver) and I can guarantee that it is sharp. The poor guy that was making it came walking out from the back in quite the hurry, set the chain down on a stool behind the counter and said he had to go get a band-aid. I peeked around the corner and there is blood on my chain, blood on the stool and a trail of blood on the floor. I felt bad for the guy.

But, I am very happy with the chain. That is some seriously heavy duty stuff.

Went to the Stihl dealer today to pick up that loop of 46RS .404 (turned out to be 0.31/driver) and I can guarantee that it is sharp. The poor guy that was making it came walking out from the back in quite the hurry, set the chain down on a stool behind the counter and said he had to go get a band-aid. I peeked around the corner and there is blood on my chain, blood on the stool and a trail of blood on the floor. I felt bad for the guy.

But, I am very happy with the chain. That is some seriously heavy duty stuff.

I'm still (Stihl?) surprised you got that .404 46RS so dang cheap from a Stihl dealer Steve. Would be close to twice that for me to get it locally. Almost makes sense to pay you to pick up a few loops and ship them to me...:wink2:

It has to be an issue with them not updating the price in their computer because everything else they sell costs an arm, a leg and your left nut.

Let me know if you want some.

It has to be an issue with them not updating the price in their computer because everything else they sell costs an arm, a leg and your left nut.

Let me know if you want some.

Thanks Steve. May well take you up on that offer soon. Aaron needs a 95DL loop of .404/.063G.:clap:

I posted this over in the 'manuals' thread, but thought I'd try here, too.

Need an IPL for a Makita DCS390 saw, please ....

TIA!

I need some help. Spent the afternoon cleaning the 166 up and was going to put on the new sprocket.

I believe I figured out that the nut on the outside of the clutch isn't really a nut but actually the end of the crankshaft. :redface:

Thanks to some wonderful help from Mark Heimann and Kingsley, we made up a tool to insert in the two indentations in the clutch but we absolutely can't get the clutch to budge. (And yes, we are turning it clockwise.)

I didn't want to take any chance of doing any damage so gave up for the night.

Any suggestions of what I may be doing wrong or need to do differently?

2 more questions.

What would you suggest I use to replace the missing windows in the air filter cover? I am thinking I don't want to do anything permanent in case I should someday find some. I was thinking some type of a screen but not sure what I should use to "attach" it. Would a silicone caulk work, JB Weld or some other type of epoxy?

Also, there are two cracks through the frame around the front window. They both match up perfectly so whatever I use can't take up much if any space.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back