Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased 3 Nikon Scopes when Cabela's had them on deep discount (I later found out because they were getting out of sporting goods/hunting).

I purchased 2 - 3X9X40 scopes that are on my 30-06 and 300 Win Mag, and a 4X12 (223 specific) that is on my Ruger American Rifle 223.

IIRC I paid about a hundred to a hundred and a quarter for each of them. Great deals on high quality optics. They came in unlabeled brown boxes with no instructions.
I have the 4-12 on my pre64 m70
Great scope!!

Bought a set of their Binoculars after trying Billy’s. Love them for hunting my buddies farm!

Speaking of the farm, would you rather punch a doe tag during early doe or go to the cabin and try for bear during early bear?

Any big husky fans out there?
I bought a 235 x torq and it is missing a pivot pin for the hand brake. I can make one easy enough but not sure what dimensions it needs to be. I may be able to gauge it out when I get a chance to look deeper, but thought someone else may have already fought this fight. For whatever reason , the website says they are currently unavailable.??
Thanks in advance for any help.
Find a drill bit that fits it snug and cut to size.

Speaking of the farm, would you rather punch a doe tag during early doe or go to the cabin and try for bear during early bear?
Good question. I have let many a deer walk while bear hunting and only let one or two bear walk while deer hunting. On the coast of NC, the two seasons overlap so either is legal. I meat hunt only, I take a bear when I can get it and usually limit myself to two deer per year. I'll take a fat doe anyday over a stinking rutting buck. I still havent figured out how to cook a set of horns to make them edible. Only killed one deer last year due to having surgery during the hunting season. Didnt get to bear hunt at all. I wont be hunting on the coast this year, so my chances of getting a bear are pretty slim, but I could probably step out on my porch right now and see a deer.

I have the 4-12 on my pre64 m70
Great scope!!

Bought a set of their Binoculars after trying Billy’s. Love them for hunting my buddies farm!

My first priority is to take a deer, especially since I did not get one last year. We can bear hunt after we get a deer.

Also, early bear runs a week longer than early deer season.

Funny you mention that, went to use my Stihl weedwhacker today and had to replace the primer bulb, 1st time I've ever done one (none of my saws have them).
Have a FS 80 for over 25 years, still runs great, just replaced carb last year,

That was the Pilgram Psychiatric Center garbage contract. The FBI informant had been rubbed out and the competitors' trucks were suffering from spontaneous combustion. Everyone wanted to tell us stuff, but they were afraid. People would come up to us and say: "I will meet you at (a location) in five minutes, will talk to you for five minutes, and that is it, and don't use my name".

We had good findings in that report, but the mob must have gone over our heads, our Office of Counsel never allowed us to issue our report ... the only time that ever happened. The State was paying extra for lots of stuff that was already included in the basic contract.

My friend and co-worker Henry and I were the only ones that would do the audit. Henry came over directly from Africa and was a real good guy. We did a lot of the difficult audits together.
Yup I’d rather take my chances with a zig zagging bear than the mob. At least there’s something left after the bear leaves.

So my son who turned 16 on Monday still needs a few hours of behind the wheel before he can test. Last night the weather wasn’t very good so we did a few hours driving around back roads. Stopped at the cabin and did a little exploring and then went to a little tavern for dinner and met my other son there.

Getting to be harvest season, so I’m getting fresh goods from others and also starting to get a few tomatoes from my own plans. My plants aren’t very big but I have figured out what I need to do next year to have more yield. Just never have enough time. I need a wife who wants to garden lol.

The cool weather allowed me to run the oven overnight so I did some pulled beef in gravy.

Hope everybody has a great day!

IMG_1679.jpegIMG_1678.jpegIMG_1682.jpegIMG_1653.jpegIMG_1659.jpegIMG_1691.jpegIMG_1692.jpeg

If anyone handloads 30-30, especially if you are using the new LeverEvolution powder and/or the 160 grain FTX bullets, you may want to send me a PM as I have learned stuff you will likely want to know.

MechanicMatt uses the factory loads in his Model 94 rifle (26"), I use the handloads in my Model 94 rifle, and our experiences parallel those of Layne Simpson (Rifle Shooter magazine) who tested both factory and handloads in his Model 336 (20"). Matt used his 94 on his hog hunt last year and was very impressed with the performance of that bullet.

These new products breathe new life into the vulnerable 30-30 making it more effective than it used to be.

If anyone handloads 30-30, especially if you are using the new LeverEvolution powder and/or the 160 grain FTX bullets, you may want to send me a PM as I have learned stuff you will likely want to know.

MechanicMatt uses the factory loads in his Model 94 rifle (26"), I use the handloads in my Model 94 rifle, and our experiences parallel those of Layne Simpson (Rifle Shooter magazine) who tested both factory and handloads in his Model 336 (20"). Matt used his 94 on his hog hunt last year and was very impressed with the performance of that bullet.

These new products breathe new life into the vulnerable 30-30 making it more effective than it used to be.
I like my .450 big bore Marlin lever action when scouting about at Moose camp in the early fall . Walking timber ridgelines or swamp edges , I feel comfortable with the Hornaday FTX .325 gr. Partitions with 2225 fps & 3500 ft /lb of stopping power for any errant bear activity . As far as 30-30 one of the finest deer calibers on the market in my opinion for timber hunting .

Please send to me. I have a few various boxes of 30-30 and 25-35 ammo from them.

Steve

Any big husky fans out there?
I bought a 235 x torq and it is missing a pivot pin for the hand brake. I can make one easy enough but not sure what dimensions it needs to be. I may be able to gauge it out when I get a chance to look deeper, but thought someone else may have already fought this fight. For whatever reason , the website says they are currently unavailable.??
Thanks in advance for any help.
they are available. I just ordered and received a few used pairs from Chainsawr. price was fair but shipping sucked :p
I think Barry's has them as well, check their ebay site.

I despise the bait and switch on shipping. Don't lie and tell me it costs $15 to ship a tiny, light $5 part. Just tell me the truth that you really want $15 for the part that I know will only cost $5 to ship! Do people really think we have never shipped anything and have no idea what it costs ???? Good grief.

I despise the bait and switch on shipping. Don't lie and tell me it costs $15 to ship a tiny, light $5 part. Just tell me the truth that you really want $15 for the part that I know will only cost $5 to ship! Do people really think we have never shipped anything and have no idea what it costs ???? Good grief.
Agreed, drives me insane as well. Don't make shipping a separate profit center. Thieves!

I like my .450 big bore Marlin lever action when scouting about at Moose camp in the early fall . Walking timber ridgelines or swamp edges , I feel comfortable with the Hornaday FTX .325 gr8. Partitions with 2225 fps & 3500 ft /lb of stopping power for any errant bear activity . As far as 30-30 one of the finest deer calibers on the market in my opinion for timber hunting .
Nice! For larger critters I have both a Model 95 (Browning Reproduction) in 30-06 and a Winchester Model 71 in 348 Winchester (mfg 1940) lever guns.

I did purchase some 200grain FTX bullets for the 348 when they were briefly available. Out past 100 yds, most of the larger bore stuff has less energy.

Kind of pissed that Hornady originally offered them as a reloading component, but now only sells the fully loaded ammo (if you can find it). In fact, you can't find any ammo or bullet heads for 348 (or 405 as my Nephew has one) from anyone!

So, I built my 338-06 with a Shaw stainless spiral fluted barrel on a Ruger American action. It will launch a Barnes 210 grain TTSX bullet at about 2,700 fps and often shoots that load into 1/2" at 100 yds, so it should be good for about anything!

Back