Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, the sugar free really do that. A guy at work put out 5 pounds and it was carnage. All stalls were out of TP by 11am

I wish I didn’t tell my family about it, fast forward a few months and my daughter is wrapping a secret Santa present, turns out it was a girl she did not like. Guess what my smarty pants younger daughter was wrapping….. yep, sugar free gummy’s

Yesterday I went to the Post Office. I took my 2016 RAM 2500 with 61k on it. I came out and my truck wouldn't start. I couldn't even get a click out of it. Everything in my truck worked. The battery was fine. My wife brought me a spare key fob. Nope, couldn't jump start it and the 2nd key fob made no bit of difference. AAA hauled it home. After hours of searching for a cause I called a guy that I knew who worked for RAM. He told me how to jump the starter relay in the fuse box. I still couldn't get even a click out of it.. I pulled the starter out. The heavy braided wire from the solenoid to the starter was rotted out. Hats off to this guy for his verbal help. I havexa new starter on the way. I spread the wires only to make it more visible. The two ends were still touching.
Rustbelt sucks bigtime.

So, the sugar free really do that. A guy at work put out 5 pounds and it was carnage. All stalls were out of TP by 11am

I wish I didn’t tell my family about it, fast forward a few months and my daughter is wrapping a secret Santa present, turns out it was a girl she did not like. Guess what my smarty pants younger daughter was wrapping….. yep, sugar free gummy’s
Yes, yes they do.

The Amazon reviews of those are nothing short of hilarious.

Weld a bead around race,it doesn't need to be pretty,when it cools it'll shrink race a few thousands, just enough that often you can pull with fingers
I was able to get the race out with a punch and a hammer, the actual bearing is the hard part. I was going to get a puller and put in there to see if it would move it off, but in the event that it did not work and bent the cage then I was going to be tearing the whole transmission apart to fix it.

After talking with an old dealer/service guy, that used to work on and sell these things, and inspecting the rollers on the bearing which look to be in good shape, I am going to just put a new race in the carrier and let it ride. Worst thing it can do is chew this race up too. I normally do not like to do this but in the limited use this thing will see it will probably last a really long time.

I also did this one other time on my FIL Jeep. He had a pesky axle seal leaking on the front. So last summer we were visiting for an extended weekend I talked him into letting me pull it down to fix it. I found one of the carrier bearing races cracked, likely from the warranty job where they replaced the same axle shaft and seal, dude must've got it in a bind when he was putting the bearing caps/carrier back in. I took the carrier to a shop to have the bearing pressed off and a new one pressed on and they did not have the correct separator to get the old one off. Running out of time I made the decision to put a new race on the old bearing that looked ok. He has been daily driving it for a little over a year now.

Well, dad bought another one.... We took a trip yesterday morning to pick up another set of rims and tires for a project he bought a couple of years ago. Decided to stop and look at this one on the way home, now we gotta go back and pick it up lol. I think that makes 18 tractors between both of us. He has 4 of these Case SCs and funny thing is there is something different about all 4 of them. They made a lot of changes over the years.

1721049023828.png

Well, dad bought another one.... We took a trip yesterday morning to pick up another set of rims and tires for a project he bought a couple of years ago. Decided to stop and look at this one on the way home, now we gotta go back and pick it up lol. I think that makes 18 tractors between both of us. He has 4 of these Case SCs and funny thing is there is something different about all 4 of them. They made a lot of changes over the years.

View attachment 1190690
So he has 4 of them just in case?

So he has 4 of them just in case?
Actually we have 10 Cases, "just in case" lolol. People do not like the old Case tractors around here so you can grab them up cheap cheap, usually for about $100 over scrap weight. Dads favorite one is a 1952 model that we bought for parts. Gave $300 for it and the dude brought it to the house on the roll back. Engine was stuck and in 4 days we had it running.

Started this yesterday after cleaning up feom the party, you can already tell a difference in the temp in the shop. 93*f outside right now and pretty comfortable in the shop. The tin is so hot you can hardly touch it with your hand right now. Working on the back wall, just needed to take a little break and suck down some water.

Attachments

• 20240715_132237.jpg
    20240715_132237.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240715_132234.jpg
    20240715_132234.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
View attachment 1190838
I'm not going back and trying to catch up on thirtyumpteen pages after vacation. Sweden and Norway were epic and definitely much cooler than here. Never getting dark was weird but I didn't have to drive in the dark. This must be a Norway maple because I saw it in Norway! 🤣
Welcome back!

Rustbelt sucks bigtime.
yep. Even so, that is the ugliest starter I've ever seen. Most I've seen were chevy, ford or IH, or Mercedes, including some completely rusted apart. One parts car purchase I drove 750 miles home with the back fenders flapping in the wind. I left a trail of rust after every RR crossing, or big bump. I'd put grease (non-metallic, from a tube) liberally all over the new wire to the starter (as well as battery cables).

Well, it took the rest of the afternoon, but the back wall is done, up to the point where the ceiling should meet the walls, ish. Going to get the room part of the lean to insulated tomorrow, and hopefully turn my attention to getting the eves done.
depending on how things go in the next few months, I may be stuck with whatever I get finished this summer. We've been seriously considering my wife staying at home again. Some things have come up with bullying at daycare, by one of the attendants kids in my daughters room. We have a meeting with the director this Thursday. I'm not quite certain what all well be giving up to make it work, if things don't get straightened out, but I'll be dammed if my kid is going to be getting bullied and nothing is going to be done about it. One way or another it's gonna stop.

Well, it took the rest of the afternoon, but the back wall is done, up to the point where the ceiling should meet the walls, ish. Going to get the room part of the lean to insulated tomorrow, and hopefully turn my attention to getting the eves done.
depending on how things go in the next few months, I may be stuck with whatever I get finished this summer. We've been seriously considering my wife staying at home again. Some things have come up with bullying at daycare, by one of the attendants kids in my daughters room. We have a meeting with the director this Thursday. I'm not quite certain what all well be giving up to make it work, if things don't get straightened out, but I'll be dammed if my kid is going to be getting bullied and nothing is going to be done about it. One way or another it's gonna stop.
We have done without a lot to keep the wife at home but it's been worth it a million times over.

Latest posts

Back