Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What’s the torque spec on that, Lol tighten till it stops then another half turn 👍
:lol:
It took a 2 ft long pry bar hammered through it to get it to turn. Probably the worst filter to remove in my 25 year career. It's only the second one I've had to punch through to remove.

That is wild! The only trucks I see around here of that vintage live indoors for the winter. Always find it interesting when travelling elsewhere to see the cool old vehicles still on the road that we do not have here anymore.

There is some talk about using wastewater from beet processing facilities on the roads here in place of salt. Apparently the sugar molecules from beet extract are just as effective at melting ice. I'll believe it when I see it though, municipal and provincial government are pretty slow on the uptake.
Beet juice is a very effective de icing agent. It also doesn't cause rust. It does stink to high heaven. E-town uses it in town, they have been for the last 10 years at least. It's not quite as effective as salt, but works well enough. It is quite a bit more expensive then salt or calcium chloride.

On that same related note, unless it's getting below 15-20*F most places won't use calcium chloride and no one would spend the extra money on potassium chloride when it's not any more effective then regular rock salt.(25*F) Magnesium chloride possibly, but it's effective temp is -10*F vs calcium chloride-20*F.
There are, also, acetate mixes, that do nit have any chloride in them, but I'm not very familiar with them.

This is how I started my day yesterday. Had to help the young guy remove an over tightened filter. I'm not a fan of the Frams with their textured grip. It's too easy to overdo it if you're not counting the turns.View attachment 1191239
Guy must have worked at Cummins . I had to destroy the original filter at the first oil change . Most people don’t realize that when you put a coating of oil on the gasket it’s not to make it slide the oil swells the gasket over time sealing the filter without over tightening

This is how I started my day yesterday. Had to help the young guy remove an over tightened filter. I'm not a fan of the Frams with their textured grip. It's too easy to overdo it if you're not counting the turns.View attachment 1191239

What’s the torque spec on that, Lol tighten till it can’t tighten anymore then another half turn ,

:lol:
It took a 2 ft long pry bar hammered through it to get it to turn. Probably the worst filter to remove in my 25 year career. It's only the second one I've had to punch through to remove.

Guy must have worked at Cummins . I had to destroy the original filter at the first oil change . Most people don’t realize that when you put a coating of oil on the gasket it’s not to make it slide the oil swells the gasket over time sealing the filter without over tightening
There's usually some pissin' and moanin' going on when the other guys are stuck getting filters off after I put em' on. But, after 25 years of doing oil and filter changes I've watched a lot of boats head off into the horizon and I never had one come back because their **** came loose.

There's usually some pissin' and moanin' going on when the other guys are stuck getting filters off after I put em' on. But, after 25 years of doing oil and filter changes I've watched a lot of boats head off into the horizon and I never had one come back because their **** came loose.
Never had one come off and I’ve done plenty of oil changes working at my uncles dealership and having 10 Classic vehicles . I did it the way the manufacturers say lube the gasket with fresh oil hand tighten then 3/4 turn . Putting them on any tighter can cause damage to the filter and gasket and makes it very difficult to remove later .

That is wild! The only trucks I see around here of that vintage live indoors for the winter. Always find it interesting when travelling elsewhere to see the cool old vehicles still on the road that we do not have here anymore.

There is some talk about using wastewater from beet processing facilities on the roads here in place of salt. Apparently the sugar molecules from beet extract are just as effective at melting ice. I'll believe it when I see it though, municipal and provincial government are pretty slow on the uptake.
What color would that be ??

I'll be keeping an eye on those aluminum Ford's to see how they hold up. My '13 has the paint peel issue. Not really rotting out because I spray the crap out of it but I can see the pride of ownership is going to go bye bye soon. 😂View attachment 1191073
It's a great 50/50 truck... From 50 yards at 50 mph 🤣
Good from afar, but far from good

That’s how we used to talk about certain gals

Back