Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rustbelt sucks bigtime.
Yes, yes it does lol. I live on the east coast near the ocean. In addition, our roads have salt put on them 4 months of the year. Truck gets undercoated every year but I am already looking at rotted out rocker panels that need replaced to pass inspection. It is less than 10 years old. Next one is definitely getting fluid film in the body panels!

Well, dad bought another one.... We took a trip yesterday morning to pick up another set of rims and tires for a project he bought a couple of years ago. Decided to stop and look at this one on the way home, now we gotta go back and pick it up lol. I think that makes 18 tractors between both of us. He has 4 of these Case SCs and funny thing is there is something different about all 4 of them. They made a lot of changes over the years.

View attachment 1190690
You can probably pick any Pre-1950 model of any brand and find the same thing. I have seen and worked on more Farmall H than any other model, and looked at all of them on every WHO Tractor Ride I have been on. In total probably well over 100. I have never seen any 2 alike. IH made close to 300,000 of them. One time I thought I saw one like another, but when I looked closely, they were different. Over the years, my dad probably had 8, and I worked on every one, and each was quite different. Same for all the JDs I've looked at. Maybe you can find 2 4020s alike or 2 4430/4440s alike, but that is newer than I look closely at. Probably Ford 8n or 9n are most likely to be alike, as old Henry gave you one choice, just like his Model T. Dealers still liked to sell options, like brush guards.

Yes, yes it does lol. I live on the east coast near the ocean. In addition, our roads have salt put on them 4 months of the year. Truck gets undercoated every year but I am already looking at rotted out rocker panels that need replaced to pass inspection. It is less than 10 years old. Next one is definitely getting fluid film in the body panels!
So glad that my F-150 is aluminum bodied ... one less thing to worry about (especially since it does not get garaged). Only have a 2 car, and the Mustang and my wife's Edge stay in there.

I do spray some fluid film on the frame now and then. Seems to develop a bit of rust at the welds.

You can probably pick any Pre-1950 model of any brand and find the same thing. I have seen and worked on more Farmall H than any other model, and looked at all of them on every WHO Tractor Ride I have been on. In total probably well over 100. I have never seen any 2 alike. IH made close to 300,000 of them. One time I thought I saw one like another, but when I looked closely, they were different. Over the years, my dad probably had 8, and I worked on every one, and each was quite different. Same for all the JDs I've looked at. Maybe you can find 2 4020s alike or 2 4430/4440s alike, but that is newer than I look closely at. Probably Ford 8n or 9n are most likely to be alike, as old Henry gave you one choice, just like his Model T. Dealers still liked to sell options, like brush guards.
Yea a lot of them are unique whether it be from new features like hydraulics, or production shortages. This is a late model of the SC, which means it got the following:
-Foot clutch instead of hand clutch
-Live PTO and Hydraulics
-Eagle hitch (cases version of a 3 point)
-Foot throttle
-Upgraded dual disc brakes
-Remote hydraulic hook up
-3 5/8 engine bore for more power
- 16in heavy cast front wheels to help counter balance the lift
- this one has the super rare front bolster weights to also help with the 3 point lift.

Due to parts shortages with the live power PTO units, the tractors built in Late 1951 have the eagle hitch lift on the back, but do not have the Live PTO and hydraulics unit, we have one of those as well.

Case made 43 and some odd thousand of the SCs. Case in general is looked down upon by most people. It is definitely fun being a stand out in the yearly tractor parade in the sea of Farmall H/Ms and John Deere B/As.

No for some reason even with us changing the master and the portioning valve with new the shutter inside the valve kept tripping the front brake . So it was cutting the fluid to the front. No leaks he’s going to look at it this week see what’s going on
Gotcha, the master on this was not releasing the front brakes. They would pump up but not release. I found this out after I did a meet up and trade deal with a fella, did not show up until I went to merge on the highway. There were new calipers and brakes lines on the front. He trailered it there but lead me to believe it would drive, I think he knew it was giving that trouble and did not tell me.

Thankfully my good friend wanted to tag along for the adventure and helped me get it back going in the 18 degrees on the side of the road. We rode home for about 80 miles on the rear brakes.

So glad that my F-150 is aluminum bodied ... one less thing to worry about (especially since it does not get garaged). Only have a 2 car, and the Mustang and my wife's Edge stay in there.

I do spray some fluid film on the frame now and then. Seems to develop a bit of rust at the welds.
That is definitely something that Ford did right. I have a friend with an F-150, same year as my truck and drives the same roads, she has had no issues with body rust.

Crazy! Have a '92 Toyota pickup, '97 Nissan pickup, and an '03 F150. None of these have any body rust at all. That stuff they use on the roads in the northeast must be nasty. They just use sand out here.
Potassium Cloride , oh yea good stuff especially if you’re in scrap metal business.

Crazy! Have a '92 Toyota pickup, '97 Nissan pickup, and an '03 F150. None of these have any body rust at all. That stuff they use on the roads in the northeast must be nasty. They just use sand out here.
Most of our road salt comes from a gigantic underground mine, right underneath the city of Detroit, right where all those rust buckets were built.

I'll be keeping an eye on those aluminum Ford's to see how they hold up. My '13 has the paint peel issue. Not really rotting out because I spray the crap out of it but I can see the pride of ownership is going to go bye bye soon. 😂PXL_20240707_153929639.jpg
It's a great 50/50 truck... From 50 yards at 50 mph 🤣

They last alright out here. Ma's '91 pickup...
View attachment 1191092
That is wild! The only trucks I see around here of that vintage live indoors for the winter. Always find it interesting when travelling elsewhere to see the cool old vehicles still on the road that we do not have here anymore.

There is some talk about using wastewater from beet processing facilities on the roads here in place of salt. Apparently the sugar molecules from beet extract are just as effective at melting ice. I'll believe it when I see it though, municipal and provincial government are pretty slow on the uptake.

This is how I started my day yesterday. Had to help the young guy remove an over tightened filter. I'm not a fan of the Frams with their textured grip. It's too easy to overdo it if you're not counting the turns.View attachment 1191239
What’s the torque spec on that, Lol tighten till it can’t tighten anymore then another half turn ,

Latest posts

Back