Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I almost forgot to tell about this ... I have my annual physical scheduled in less than 2 weeks, so I get a call from the company that bills and does medical records. Never received a call from them like this before, but it likely reflects the current politics:

Am I having any trouble affording food ... paying energy bills ... affording housing ... ?

I said No, No, No and I am busy, I have to get going (I was working on the saw). He said ONLY two more questions, so I said go ahead.

"Do you feel safe in your neighborhood?" I responded, Of course I do, I have a full carry permit!

Do you know, I never found out what the last question was!

I have not had someone go silent on the other end of the phone like that since I was talking to an insurance agent decades ago. I was telling her that I was glad my insurance rates had dropped since I had not received any tickets in quite a while (I used to get lots of them). She said: "That is so good, have you changed your driving habits?" I said No, I just got a radar detector! I heard "Ahh .... Ahh ... Ahh ..." and nothing more!

I am imagining a pot about this size

View attachment 1210144
That's nice.
We used to use one like that at a buddies when we had a good sized camping group at his place up north, probably about the same amount of people as we had here. He made hobo stew. The bummer is he sold that place, so we don't get to enjoy that anymore.
117 people. Wow! We had about 32 people over. Which is pretty normal. Just family and a close friend or two. That pesky job... yep always in the way, but I seem to be able to fill up my free time with other endeavors besides finishing the shop. Some of it is my fault though.
I've been focusing on getting the insulation done. (Trying to anyway.) It's really difficult to decide what order things should be done in. I'm still second guessing myself for waiting to finish the eve work, but really wanted that insulation out of the way so I had more room in the shop. Always a compromise when you're doing it all by yourself.
I just saw the temps are supposed to be in the mid 70s Saturday, so caulking windows will need to get done as we probably won't have many more days in the 70s. Calling for mid 30s tomorrow morning and next Tues, so the woodburner will probably get fired up Tues :blob2:.
Looking forward to focusing on the barn the barn for a while, thinning/ pruning trees around here put me weeks behind, but that lift was a blessing to have for free.
Last fall I probably should have just cleared the drive and left the rest of the tree work for cooler weather, I just didn't want to be the tree guy with a yard full of tree work not finished lol. I had nice temps I could have gotten the barn metal up in when I was doing the tree work, then the temps dropped, so I was finishing metal in the freezing cold. It's a lot easier to do tree work in the cold than it is metal.
Just looked back, it was Jan 6th I was finishing up the south gable.
image.jpg
Saw this in my pics :cool:.
1000002902.jpg
Jan 10th, I just made it.
20240110_081948.jpg

I almost forgot to tell about this ... I have my annual physical scheduled in less than 2 weeks, so I get a call from the company that bills and does medical records. Never received a call from them like this before, but it likely reflects the current politics:

Am I having any trouble affording food ... paying energy bills ... affording housing ... ?

I said No, No, No and I am busy, I have to get going (I was working on the saw). He said ONLY two more questions, so I said go ahead.

"Do you feel safe in your neighborhood?" I responded, Of course I do, I have a full carry permit!

Do you know, I never found out what the last question was!

I have not had someone go silent on the other end of the phone like that since I was talking to an insurance agent decades ago. I was telling her that I was glad my insurance rates had dropped since I had not received any tickets in quite a while (I used to get lots of them). She said: "That is so good, have you changed your driving habits?" I said No, I just got a radar detector! I heard "Ahh .... Ahh ... Ahh ..." and nothing more!
That's funny Mike.
One time I picked up a younger black guy who was walking in the rain, he was a big guy! We started driving down the road(not in the best part of town) and he looked at me and said something to the effect of, don't you know I could kill you right now, kind of a funny thing to say to someone helping you out 😏. I looked at him and said, pretty sure I'm the one driving this car and your the one sitting in the passenger seat without a seat belt on, and there's a tree. Not another word til I let him out where he had already told me he was going.
People can be so stupid.

Latest posts

Back