Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I currently only have one active trail camera up at my property in the Catskills, and it sometimes goes for weeks w/o anything! (It is on the driveway to my cabin, mostly for security).

However, things have recently picked up, and in the last 12 hours we have a small bear, a hen turkey, and a small buck.

The antlers are in velvet, and getting bigger every time we see him.

I'm still concerned that we don't see any fawns, and that the bears are eating them all. I'll be encouraging everyone to get up there in early bear season again this year.

It is strange how for some time you have nothing, then it turns into a flurry of activity!

I currently only have one active trail camera up at my property in the Catskills, and it sometimes goes for weeks w/o anything! (It is on the driveway to my cabin, mostly for security).

However, things have recently picked up, and in the last 12 hours we have a small bear, a hen turkey, and a small buck.

The antlers are in velvet, and getting bigger every time we see him.

I'm still concerned that we don't see any fawns, and that the bears are eating them all. I'll be encouraging everyone to get up there in early bear season again this year.

It is strange how for some time you have nothing, then it turns into a flurry of activity!
Was the bear ZigZagging?
Keep him away from my fresh Johnny Cake.
IMG_3001.jpg

Had a tree nearly volunteering to go to the wood stacks and today was the day. Small cherry that died about 8' away. It was just in the woodline and needed to go perpendicular to the stacks as to not upset any of them. I selected the only felling cut I know - the Running Dutchman. It doesn't so much describe the cut, but more so the cutter. :crazy2:
View attachment 1183894
Nice score 👍

Oh, sure! LOL. It was not so much the item, but not coming in second place, because the prize for second is nothing.

We're having a grad party next month and trying to clean up the property to have multiple seating areas (seems the invite list keeps growing out of control too!) Anyway, we have a log theme and she saw this. A couple of joints were loose but within 30 minutes I had it all tuned up. Might get power washed or might just get left rustic for now if I run out of time.
View attachment 1184627
I got a bench this week with cast iron legs & armrest, but it needs new slats, like the one pictured..
I may use composite deck boards.
1718794740447.png

I got a bench this week with cast iron legs & armrest, but it needs new slats, like the one pictured..
I may use composite deck boards.
View attachment 1185031
That’s a pair of those new urban benches… They intentionally make them narrow so people cannot sleep on them.

Forgot to mention, shops fully enclosed now. I reused the tin off the old wood shed roof for the walls of the open section (new wood shed) of the lean to. It isn't pretty but it will be fine for stacking wood against. (I'll have to get pictures then.) I did run short on the room side wall. Need a 9 1/2" piece of tin to finish off the side wall, and a few short pieces to match to roof angle. It's enclosed with plywood anyway, and won't see any sort of rain, so not a priority. I'm debating if I should close in the far end with tin, or just run boards between the shop and last post to keep wood from falling out that side. Either way is going to require me getting materials. Kinda hit that point where I've used up just about everything I had laying around and everything I purchased has, pretty much, been used as well.
I did manage to clean up in the shop last evening and make room to start building the big doors. I can't say I'm really looking forward to making them, but it needs done. After that's finished, I'll turn my attention back to trim work and start insulating the walls.
I attempted to contact my insurance company yesterday as well. When I started building the shop, they wouldn't change coverage until it was fully enclosed. Left a message, and not expecting any answer till tomorrow. Apparently they closed their office in observance of junetenth till the 20th.
Edit: forgot to mention, I did get my pocket lights, one flood light and a cheap set of Amazon 4 foot led shop lights. Kinda taking a chance with the shop lights. They have pretty good reviews but don't seem very bright. (Just tested them to make sure no DOA.) Going to temporarily mount a few on the roof trusses and see how they light the shop up. If I don't like them, they will go out in the wood shed section and I'll suck it up and get the 8 footers I had picked out. (At about 6 times the money, but they are highly rated, both for light output and longevity, and have excellent reviews. Only complaints I've seen are shipping damage/missing mounting hardware and needing to return the entire package vs the company just sending out the missing parts/ replacing the damaged lights.)

Latest posts

Back