Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you found one for a good price. Been contemplating building a rolling one for out in the shop, unless I hit the lotto or can hit the scrap yard and find what I need before it goes through the shredder they arnt cheap to build. Even 2x2x 1/4 angle is stupid expensive these days, let alone a sheet of 1/4 or 3/8 plate for the top. Yikes!
You just need to find a fab shop that is selling drops. I have been buying 2x4x3/16 tube that is 36" to 42" long for $5 each, 4x4x3/16 tube in that length for $15 each and 10"x48"x1/2 plate for $20 each. Probably have enough to make 2 small and 2 large welding tables.

Also picked up 2x2x1/4 20ft sticks of blue painted angle for $20 each earlier in the year. It was part of some racking system and it does have holes on one side but that is ok. I have been making firewood racks out of it. 3 sticks makes me 2 racks

Took some scrap to the recycler and he has this large beam at the bottom of the pile. I could spend all day looking through that pile for steel trinkets:yes: A friend has been looking for such a piece to shore up a sagging floor in his house but they are $$$. I know the owner of the scrap yard and he says $0.15 per lb. Took this 14ft long 7x7x3/8 piece home for $100.

Attachments

• 20240829_083535.jpg
    20240829_083535.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240829_084159.jpg
    20240829_084159.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240902_174900.jpg
    20240902_174900.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 0
Glad you found one for a good price. Been contemplating building a rolling one for out in the shop, unless I hit the lotto or can hit the scrap yard and find what I need before it goes through the shredder they arnt cheap to build. Even 2x2x 1/4 angle is stupid expensive these days, let alone a sheet of 1/4 or 3/8 plate for the top. Yikes!
For sure! I don't think I could build it for $100, even if I got used steel.

Hey, you can't beat a free roll of TP, nice score! Drove a VW bus for many years that a girlfriend at the time painted flowers on, it just show's you're secure in your manliness.
TP! LOL. That's shrink wrap tape and it sells for $35/roll. Mine was free with table purchase, but my buddy got a roll too with his stash, figured about $3 for it.

Yep, I need to let her make it "hers" and if that means flowers, then so be it. Funny story from the welding store buying helmets with her: the salesman sold a pink helmet to a guy. The guy said he bought pink so no one would steal it! LMAO!!!

You just need to find a fab shop that is selling drops. I have been buying 2x4x3/16 tube that is 36" to 42" long for $5 each, 4x4x3/16 tube in that length for $15 each and 10"x48"x1/2 plate for $20 each. Probably have enough to make 2 small and 2 large welding tables.

Also picked up 2x2x1/4 20ft sticks of blue painted angle for $20 each earlier in the year. It was part of some racking system and it does have holes on one side but that is ok. I have been making firewood racks out of it. 3 sticks makes me 2 racks

Took some scrap to the recycler and he has this large beam at the bottom of the pile. I could spend all day looking through that pile for steel trinkets:yes: A friend has been looking for such a piece to shore up a sagging floor in his house but they are $$$. I know the owner of the scrap yard and he says $0.15 per lb. Took this 14ft long 7x7x3/8 piece home for $100.
Unfortunately there's no such thing as getting useful drops for cheap around here. Most I know of are pretty thrifty and use just about everything. Those that have usable lengths will sell it for whatever it costs per pound or keep it for the next project. Only one local ish scrap yard will let you dig through the piles anymore. $0.46 per pound, can't remember what stainless and aluminum go for, but thats extra rare for them to have something usable. There's a really cool scrap yards of sorts about an hour and a half away, they buy up everything metal they can get their hands on at auctions. It's all cash, and pretty cheap. If it was closer I'd probably be broke. Depending in what I need, I'll call my brother and see what he can get me. He works at an industrial weld shop. They make everything from buildings, to conveyors and agg bins. Steel trucks rolling in daily. Usually get the best price there if it's something they use regularly. Have another place I worked at part time when I was in school that treats me pretty well too, little Mennonite shop. Good people. Hopefully the owners nephew takes it over when he's ready to pass it on.

Off topic, but it's between working with firewood. White bass season's started at the lake I fish regularly. We'll there's really no white bass season, just a transition from Summer to Fall patterns. In Summer, they're out schooling on the flats. Guys with boats are still catching them out there.

In the Fall when the water temps drop, the come into the rip rap chasing the shad. I walk the rip rap and the adjoining sandy beach in late Fall. Those Fall fish will slam a 1/8 oz jig close to the bank and nearly rip the rod out of your hands. Lot's of fun catching a bucket of 12"-14 fish. I don't keep anything less than 10" and those are few.

I've never gone in early September. Have had people tell me I should be out in September, so I went.
Lots of small ones (6"-8") from the beach area. Well I have 4 kittens to support now so I kept a few. Enough for a couple meals for me and them.

Cooked in cast iron (I hope @WoodAbuser would approve even though it's not baking) and sided with sliced onion, potato salad and fried okra. My okra was planted lake and with these cool spells we've been having, hasn't produced a lot. Still, I found enough for a meal.

My presentation isn't as good as @svk (Happy B. Day... hope you had a good one) but it didn't stay on the plate long to look at. And some of you guys may criticize my choice of beer being from St.L area, but AB just can't beat the flavor.

IMG_3028.JPGIMG_3029.JPG

Oh, and I forgot the fresh garden tomatoes. Should have had some.

Now time for a little after dinner rye.

In regards to unneeded improvements; there is so much money floating around out there, I am not sure how people haven't gone broke!

I realize the younger generation got a shot in the arm to their paychecks during covid once all the baby boomers retired and the younger folk were promoted....BUT every staple good is now 4X what it was 5 years ago!

I watch the amount of money being spent on the lake where I live and just shake my head....it isn't rational.
Nor sustainable.
Happy birthday :cheers:.
And eventually there will be a boom :crazy2: that causes the house of cards to topple.,
They've kept it from falling for about as long as they can. I was waiting, but figured I would go ahead and build my barn since they were wiping out any gains in waiting it out.
Got the lift anchored down today :clap:.
Screen Shot 2024-09-06 at 10.14.23 PM.png

Made me laugh, I stopped at lowes the other day after work to get some sakcrete. Just 6 80lb bags, nothing u haven't had in the back if the jetta before. Some contractor came out when I was tossing the bags in the trunk and proceeded to tell me how stupid I was, the car won't go, the car won't stop, hit every bump on the way home, safty hazard. I tried to very nicely tell him to f**k off and mind his own business, car wasn't over weight, underpowered and had excellent brakes, but it didn't work. More or less came out as ho f**k off and mind your own business. By some mirical, the car made it home just fine.
Once in a while instead of my F150 I'll take my old CRV if I'm only getting a few bags of sakcrite, mulch etc. I've gotten a few looks myself but the old AWD doesn't seem to mind. Can't say I've ever had some ass come over and lecture me on it, though.

What's the top right. I know I got some black talon circa 1990's. And I think something called Starfire? Any you guys remember that stuff
Black Talons? You mean the "cop killer" bullet that could take out a squad of cops? I remember the hysteria over those. Didn't have the heart to tell people my 416 with 400gr solid brass bullets could most likely do that in reality. The majority of Americans actually so little knowledge of firearms anymore that they will believe anything.

Black Talons? You mean the "cop killer" bullet that could take out a squad of cops? I remember the hysteria over those. Didn't have the heart to tell people my 416 with 400gr solid brass bullets could most likely do that in reality. The majority of Americans actually so little knowledge of firearms anymore that they will believe anything.
Lots of people have no idea.
Jerry doing some trolling before trolling was a thing 😆.

I was gifted a 10x20 shed like that serval years ago. Used all the screw anchors, + concrete blocks on the side rails to hold it down. Stupid thing still blew away during heavy winds. Neighbor said the zippers that closed the front panel slowly came undone then it started lifting up the front then it was a goner. I was a little upset that he didn't call me so I could cone hone from work and try to save it, but it did prompt me to focus on building the shop. If I ever get one again I'll be sure to anchor it much better .
Yesterday I tried to screw in the ground anchors into the ground. That was a waste of time. Over the past 25 years I have put load after load of 3/4" crushed stone on our woodlot to harden up the roads and work area. I ended up going to HD and buying a 5/8" x 8' ground rod. I cut it into 2 foot sections. Then I turned the ends into a tapered point and welded huts on the other ends. Even these were very hard to hammer into the ground with a 4 pound hammer. Hopefully these anchors and the 4x4's under the poles will keep it down. I can also make up some rods to go down thru the 4x4's to keep them in place. I got in my new tarp yesterday. That will be going on this morning.

Attachments

• 20240906_144123.jpg
    20240906_144123.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240906_180140.jpg
    20240906_180140.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240906_144114.jpg
    20240906_144114.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I thought about getting one of those for a paint booth (I am painting several duck boats this fall) but figured screw it, a few leaves and seeds just add to the camo LOL.
It would be cheaper to make a booth out of 2x4's and plastic sheeting. Put some hot air furnace filters in one end and a brushless fan on the other end. Been there done that. It worked out really well.

Got the rest of the oak. The 🌿 says it's a northern pin oak. So now got one pin oak in the red oak family and another type that's in the white oak family :dizzy: View attachment 1202039View attachment 1202040
I got 2 more loads yesterday again lol. Didn't have time to get pics because I working 12.5 hr swing shifts right now and it was a turn and burn no pun intended trip. There's quite a bit of wood, luckily the guy had the tree service drop the trunks and not cut them up because I end up with a bunch of chunk wood from all the 18-24" wood the guys cut. I will have some good pics maybe today..I am also going to try out my Mingo marker I got 😆 also will need to make video of my 590 in oak because in another thread guys saying the 590 with 24" bar in hardwood is asking the saw to do to much or something. I think mine does quite well for a 59cc saw. I guess you guys will have to tell me if it's slow or not mean enough if I get to make the video

I got 2 more loads yesterday again lol. Didn't have time to get pics because I working 12.5 hr swing shifts right now and it was a turn and burn no pun intended trip. There's quite a bit of wood, luckily the guy had the tree service drop the trunks and not cut them up because I end up with a bunch of chunk wood from all the 18-24" wood the guys cut. I will have some good pics maybe today..I am also going to try out my Mingo marker I got 😆 also will need to make video of my 590 in oak because in another thread guys saying the 590 with 24" bar in hardwood is asking the saw to do to much or something. I think mine does quite well for a 59cc saw. I guess you guys will have to tell me if it's slow or not mean enough if I get to make the video
Don't you just hate that.. getting free wood that's cut up in a wide variety of lengths. I would prefer cutting it up myself. I've got one more load of Mulberry a neighbor gave me that has to be 're-sized'. Lot of cut off nubbins to deal with.

Back