Stihl 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah what I’m doing with this saw is beyond my knowledge and experience but it’s not rocket science either. I also started with a couple non running stihl saws on purpose to learn but at the same time not to burn a hole in my wallet. I cleaned carb and changed filters, lines and tuned the carb so now I’m very comfortable in doing such things. I’ll put new seals and gasket and what needed to be replaced on this saw, clean it and we’ll go from there. My focus is on arborist stuff, chainsaw is a bonus and this will be as far as I’ll go for chainsaws. Maybe I’ll collect some desirable saws along the way to fix. Definitely share more here and appreciate and respect all feedback from you guys!

Despite some previous experts in this thread mentioning not all youtube is "good" I have found some very good sources and some are factory trained. Do yourself a favor and give a look at some that I will post for your reference. So much to learn about saws and yet a lot of it is common sense. Keys to a well running, well maintained, and keys to long life and properly cutting /safe saws can boil down to common sense and remembering the little things. Also remember, a sharp chain yields a happy and cooler running saw.

Here is a good informative video.

Trust me, I’ve learned most stuff about chainsaw and arborist from YouTube. Thanks for the link, I’ll definitely check it out.

Yeah what I’m doing with this saw is beyond my knowledge and experience but it’s not rocket science either. I also started with a couple non running stihl saws on purpose to learn but at the same time not to burn a hole in my wallet. I cleaned carb and changed filters, lines and tuned the carb so now I’m very comfortable in doing such things. I’ll put new seals and gasket and what needed to be replaced on this saw, clean it and we’ll go from there. My focus is on arborist stuff, chainsaw is a bonus and this will be as far as I’ll go for chainsaws. Maybe I’ll collect some desirable saws along the way to fix. Definitely share more here and appreciate and respect all feedback from you guys!
babariley,

what you have done with the $15 044 saw is a great example in how I learned mechanics and being self taught.

Work on sacrificial junk that if you F it up, you are not out a lot of money. Messing up, often teaches us more than knowing all about stuff.
It wasn't until my 026 wasn't running right, that I would educate myself and learn to diagnose saws as I eliminated all the variables.

What I found with that saw was most critical. Quality of fuel, quality and amount of 2 stroke oil mixed properly in good fuel, and then proper care of the fuel system once the saw is withdrawn from regular/.daily/weekly use, has a huge bearing on the life of the fuel system parts like filters, fuel lines carb etc. Old ethanol fuel will gum up and make fuel lines the equivalent of hardening of the arteries. Restricted flow, clogs in small ports, screens etc in carbs all will make the saw an unhappy camper. Treat the saw right, and it will be reliable for years to come.,

I posted many fine videos in another thread last year on page 3 at this link.

I may have begun them on pages 1 or 2 as well, but if you want to really see all that I mean as far as testing, definitely watch and rewatch the ones I posted here.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/how-does-a-chainsaw-work.365712/page-3

From my post 50, 51, 52 this instructional and more.

I posted many fine videos in another thread last year on page 3 at this link.

I may have begun them on pages 1 or 2 as well, but if you want to really see all that I mean as far as testing, definitely watch and rewatch the ones I posted here.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/how-does-a-chainsaw-work.365712/page-3

From my post 50, 51, 52 this instructional and more.

This video makes me wanna buy that testing tool. Seems to me these small engines I encountered have more electrical problems than mechanical ones.

I like 2.
Personal preference I guess , I do a lot of the rim sprocket changes and the one screwdriver method has never failed me. The screwdriver I use just fits between the center and side portions of the clip, a half twist and its off even on the deep well washers some saws have. I say do whatever suits you best, not one to try and convince others what tool or method is better for them. Just chuck out a useful tidbit now and then.

Personal preference I guess , I do a lot of the rim sprocket changes and the one screwdriver method has never failed me. The screwdriver I use just fits between the center and side portions of the clip, a half twist and its off even on the deep well washers some saws have. I say do whatever suits you best, not one to try and convince others what tool or method is better for them. Just chuck out a useful tidbit now and then.
Yup this ! What works for me is what I do.

I have chased a few and lost a few over the years. Good to have some backups of various sizes so you don’t have to stop work in the event you lose one. If you can remove one without looking, you can also put a shop rag over it to stop flight of the clip.
I like to bring extra plugs fuel filters clutch bearings and e clips with me if I am cutting a lot. I cup my hand around it so it doesn't go flying but sometime it just happens.

I like to bring extra plugs fuel filters clutch bearings and e clips with me if I am cutting a lot. I cup my hand around it so it doesn't go flying but sometime it just happens.
I used to duct tape the E clips for Dirt Bike carb needles to the inside of the Air Box . I suppose you could figure out a safe place on a saw to do the same.

Latest posts

Back