Stihl 391 vs 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr matt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings! I am new to the site but have been reading various posts for quite a while...I am looking for a saw for falling about 16 inch trees for firewood. I've heard a lot of favorable things about Stihl especially there longevity.

Seems like the free firewood I can get is by clearing trees from various lots.

I see Ace Hardware has the 391 in, and is about the same price as what I can get a little used 361 for.

I was wondering what your thoughts of these saws are in their handling and construction. I'ver read the innards of the 361 are of good quality, and the 361 was more repair friendly ( http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=1974222 ). Also great Excellent power to weight ratio
Maybe you will say to skip both and go with a 290... well, I'm willing to listen.

Thanks for your input

Matt

I just bought a used 361 for 511 bucks. It is in mint condition!

The 361 will blow the 391 away on both sides of the ball. Weight and power.

It balances better, and just cuts better IMO. I am basing my claims on the 390 though, as I've never ran a 391, but it looks to be the same slug as the 390. 361 is a pro model also. it's built to last. When I say lighter, I mean it's almost 3 lbs lighter.

Better saw thru and thru.

I have not yet had the privilege of running a 391, but the 361 is a very nice saw. It is capable of pulling a 24" b/c and pretty well manhandles 18" and under. A muffler mod on this saw is real easy should you decide to go that route. Man the 391 is heavy for the same power, almost 2 pounds heavier than the 361. Honestly that is solid 70cc saw weight. Two big positives I could see with a 391 is the air filtration and fuel economy. Neither of those things would steer me away from a good 361, but the better filtration might be something to give some consideration to. My 361 has been a great saw, although it is finicky to tune.

If you want a new 361, do a dealer search and make some phone calls. There are still some new 361's on the shelf for less than $600. I would also look at the new 362.

Definitely check out the dealers for 361's . 4 years ago I stopped by an out of the way tractor implement stihl dealer . Heck they had been in business for years nearly in my back yard never knew it . Anyways I had to pick up a new saw chain and ended up with a new MS360 that had been on his shelf for god knows how long . He was happy to get rid of it , I payed 300.00 for it .

If price is an issue the 390 is a pretty good saw....16in. trees are not going to take much. 290,310,390 all will do this job as well. Of course the 361 is at the top of that heap!

The MS 391 weighs in at 14.1 pounds, (PHO). The MS 361 weighs in at 12.3 pounds. Noticeable difference but it isn't a 3 pound difference. The new MS 362 however... seems to have gained a pound over the MS 361, she weighs in at 13 pounds.

Last edited:
Wow,

THanks for all of the replies! Great idea about calling around to dealers - never thoguht of that [pic]http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/scratchchin.gif[/pic]

I'll be making the list tonight and make the calls tomorrow....

thanks again
Matt

361 is one thing, but to find a 440 at the dealer, thats some more of that Snelling luck coming out.

I swear this dude has the most awesomest hard to find saws.:clap:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Well, I called over 15 places today, some of which checked their satellite branches with no success. Told over and over they were discontinued in 8/09

One place said they could order it ( $650) I actually do not think they can as a few stores went to the supplier already and the supplier checked all around and did not find any..

or I can get a used one said to have very little mileage on it for $550.
on craigslist: posting says" 2 year old Stihl Pro Grade MS 361 chainsaw with a 20" bar. Used lightly, still in great condition. $550 "

shil2.jpg

stihl.jpg

Or, I can get the replacment of the 361 which is the 362 for $575. (new & I guess with a warranty)

I have not yet checked on the specs for the 362, but probably in the end ask if you all heard anything about the 362 & get your opinions.....

Thanks so much!

Matt

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Well, I called over 15 places today, some of which checked their satellite branches with no success. Told over and over they were discontinued in 8/09

One place said they could order it ( $650) I actually do not think they can as a few stores went to the supplier already and the supplier checked all around and did not find any..

or I can get a used one said to have very little mileage on it for $550.
on craigslist: posting says" 2 year old Stihl Pro Grade MS 361 chainsaw with a 20" bar. Used lightly, still in great condition. $550 "

shil2.jpg

stihl.jpg

Matt

i paid less than that for a brand new one (actually $30 more after buying a bar and chain, but still)
they are out there, just very hard to find, my local dealer wouldnt even entertain the fact that 361's are even available anymore.. they just wanted to sell me a $650 362
it took me about 3 months of whining and posting on here till i found a nice man who took it in his heart to sell me a new one he had :)

$575 with bar and chain would be the cheapest Stihl 362 I've ever seen.

$550 for a 361 would be OK if it were a dealer demo with warranty, seems high for a used private sale saw, even in virtually new condition.

Back