TADPOLES!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Video was just 49 seconds? I could have watched an hour of frogs. :cool:

Maybe they're not in your garden because you use insecticide?
I have lots of frogs in/around all three ponds, two of the ponds are basically in the garden. When I go in the garden, I see them hop out, towards the ponds.
This year my entire yard was covered up with those tiny northern cricket frogs - including that new garden spot I made.

No insecticides or herbicides used and there are no nearby ag fields or even houses.

All of our water storage tanks have these frogs and there are plenty in the woods that surround us.

But in 23 years of gardening I've yet to see one in the vegetable garden. We do get an occasional toad.

We get lots of wasp and bird activity in the garden, even the tiny parasitic wasp on tomato horn-worms. The wasp work the corn pretty hard and we just harvested about 40 ears and not a single corn ear worm, which is unusual because we didn't spray or even use BT.

We've got about 50 collard plants planted this spring and we use older and damaged leaves off of the collards to mulch the collards. We get cat birds flipping the leaves on the ground under the collards looking for insects and worms. It's new behavior for the birds under the collards and I'd love to get a video, we first noticed it last season. It may just be a mating pair of cat birds. At first we didn't believe what we were seeing and though maybe it was a fluke, but sure enough we see the pair work the whole collard plantings almost every day.

No insecticides or herbicides used and there are no nearby ag fields or even houses.

All of our water storage tanks have these frogs and there are plenty in the woods that surround us.

But in 23 years of gardening I've yet to see one in the vegetable garden. We do get an occasional toad.

We get lots of wasp and bird activity in the garden, even the tiny parasitic wasp on tomato horn-worms. The wasp work the corn pretty hard and we just harvested about 40 ears and not a single corn ear worm, which is unusual because we didn't spray or even use BT.

We've got about 50 collard plants planted this spring and we use older and damaged leaves off of the collards to mulch the collards. We get cat birds flipping the leaves on the ground under the collards looking for insects and worms. It's new behavior for the birds under the collards and I'd love to get a video, we first noticed it last season. It may just be a mating pair of cat birds. At first we didn't believe what we were seeing and though maybe it was a fluke, but sure enough we see the pair work the whole collard plantings almost every day.
Natural pest control is the best. 👍

by our front door the last few nights.

20240709_205843[1].jpg

we used to have a lot of Grey tree frogs, but they seem to have moved on. Was fun watching them walk up fences.

https://nhpbs.org/natureworks/graytreefrog.htm
Fun watching your tadpoles grow up.

that area hasn't changed much since we started seeing them.
Only change is we had to take down some dead Ash trees, but there is still plenty of brush and other trees. Maples, poplars etc.
Idk. I would think their food source has gone, or moved on?
In both of the articles I posted they said the decline in tadpole/frog numbers is "catastrophic." :(

Peeking in the front window last night.
2 years ago we had a big rain on a warm day and their were so many frogs it was hard to walk between them.
I see a lot when wandering in the forest, hope there are still a lot out their.
20240710_211221.jpg

Peeking in the front window last night.
2 years ago we had a big rain on a warm day and their were so many frogs it was hard to walk between them.
I see a lot when wandering in the forest, hope there are still a lot out their.
View attachment 1189817
Judging by your saw bar, that's a pretty big one!
The biggest I've seen here is about 2"

I think I saw arms on a tad this morning - he dove out of sight before I could get a real good look.

Four little froglets sunning this morning. :havingarest:
No way to tell if it's the same three as yesterday plus one, four different ones, or a combination.
I didn't put ID tags on them. :laughing:

The one in front of the log is probably looking for ants. Yesterday the log came loose from the rock supports and was floating and there must have been an ants nest inside because it was suddenly covered up with ants. Most of them probably drowned.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3b.JPG
3c.JPG
4b.JPG

Just counted five froglets on the rim.... back to four now.
While I was looking at them, the one with almost no tail left jumped overboard and into the grass.

Ahh, the joys and sorrow of parenting.
:p

16 baby froglets sunning this morning!
Also saw tads in the tank with arm bumps, about to pop. :dancing:
Lots with arms, turning green. More than I could count!
It's easy to tell when they're about to morph since they turn a lighter shade of brown/green and get a little sluggish, do a lot of floating, and swim real fast.
They all came to the surface when I fed them - O.M.G. - there are hundreds more in there! :happy:

Latest posts

Back