The Traveling Leveraxe/Leveraxe 2 Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I luv my X27. If U go to a GTG, ask someone to bring one, there are a lot of them out there. I used to swear by the big Monster Mauls, until I picked up a Fiskars (and they don't break the bank).

I've hefted an x27, just not put it into wood. Showed my local husky dealer my original, told him my use of it, he started carrying fiskars, sells out every fall/winter. I was in there the other day and they had a fresh shipment just coming out going to the wall display rack.

When I was doing firewood for other folks back in the day, one outfit (I worked for two) had those monster mauls, ya they split wood but geez loweez..just too big for me. Always went back to my axe.

Is there a list of GTG's where Leveraxe2 will be?
The LA is enroute to Hinernman for the OK GTG on 11/1. That's the only one currently on the list. If you've got a GTG coming up post the date and we'll get you in the rotation. We're giving priority to GTG's as many people can use it in one day rather than tying it up for 5-7 days including shipping for one person.

I have an X27 and regular maul. I didn't actually put the LA to wood, but holding it messed me up visually. With a maul or axe, you see the cutting edge, you grip it and swing. But watching others try to land the "off-set" head of the LA on a large oak round, and seeing it either bounce off or just twist awkwardly in their hands was enough for me. I can't see the LA ever being used by anyone who hand splits all his winter firewood, just don't seem like it would ever be comfortable for me to use.

I swung it a few times, it worked pretty well on the red oak that had already been chunked into quarters. It's a funky looking device for sure and kinda has a "homemade" look to it that might make some question the asking price. It's definitely not a "general purpose" splitting tool, so don't expect to go busting up big rounds with it.

I didn't feel it twist in my hands as much as I though it would, that was a pleasant surprise.

Leveraxe is en route to Hinerman for the OK GTG. For those attending that GTG please give the tool some swings and post your thoughts on here!

Also I'll facilitate gathering mailing addresses and providing the next destination to those on the list. That will also give us a master list in the event the tool goes AWOL like the first one.

At the second job, when I get home, ill find the receipt with the tracking number. Should have gotten there.....
Kinda wondering what the midwest boys think of it..............

I had a chance to use the Leveraxe at Spikes GTG.
A few years ago I had signed up to receive the Leveraxe but that never happened so using it at the GTG was great.

I only gave the Leveraxe a few good well placed shots and it did work!
I'm more of a wood handled maul kind of guy. The only time now that I use a maul is for knocking down large rounds of hardwood so they can be placed on the wood splitter.
Glad I had a chance to use The Leveraxe but I sticking with a wood handle maul for large stuff.
For small stuff I use a Fiskars x25 axe.

I had a chance to use the Leveraxe at Spikes GTG.
A few years ago I had signed up to receive the Leveraxe but that never happened so using it at the GTG was great.

I only gave the Leveraxe a few good well placed shots and it did work!
I'm more of a wood handled maul kind of guy. The only time now that I use a maul is for knocking down large rounds of hardwood so they can be placed on the wood splitter.
Glad I had a chance to use The Leveraxe but I sticking with a wood handle maul for large stuff.
For small stuff I use a Fiskars x25 axe.
Thank you for your thoughts!

I attended the GTG yesterday at Hedgerows. Hinerman had me test it out towards the end of the day on some 20-24" rounds. Not sure what type of wood it was. But I took a handful of swings and I wasn't impressed at all. It would only chip off small chunks around the edge of the round. You couldn't really bust up the round very well. It got stuck in the round multiple times. Talking with other guys who used it said they only had luck using it with shorter rounds. Say 10-12" long.
Which seams to be the norm for Eur. countries.

I think the concept is good. And maybe if it had more weight on the back end for more of a lever action? The Fiscars seemed to work much better..

Sorry about the late report. I have been posting pics of the GTG for several hours. I would say IOWA's assessment is spot on. I have not tested the axe like I wanted to due to being busy. I did give it about 20-25 minutes last Wednesday. I started with some 16-17" green oak. The leveraxe would not split it, not once. I spent most of the time trying to get the axe out of the wood. I did go to some very dead silver maple about the same size. It was taking some splits off the side with ease. However, if you take too much bite from the round, the axe just buries. By too much bite, I am talking about a normal size (split) that you would take with any other splitting axe. Also, once I got to the center of the round, I couldn't get it to split.

I tried with some pine also. It seemed to split ok until I got to the middle of the round. I still had to take smaller splits. It seems to me that you have to take smaller sized splits for the axe to be effective. Most of the splits I was getting were small. If you take too much bite you won't get a split.

But, like Iowa said, shorter rounds are where this axe shines. I did try it on some shorter oak (10-12") and the Leveraxe worked great. I was so impressed I was looking for more wood to split. The axe stops on impact and is light so quick repetitive splits are possible. I did not notice or feel any jarring on my hands or wrists.

The problem is I don't cut, sell, or use short splits (nothing under 16"). I don't know anybody who does. The other problem is I don't sell or use small splits (like kindling). I you add all these issues with the cost, I don't think the Leveraxe is for me. If I had a small stove or used small chunks of wood, then the Leveraxe would be a must have. I can see how it could put out the splits in the right conditions.

DISCLAIMER: I make room for the fact that if I had more time to play with and practice with the Leveraxe that I may have found a technique that would have been more effective. If somebody can split some 16-17" oak or pecan then I would like to see a video.

I swung it in some Pecan..
I got it to go, but had to chip away at the edges..
It likes to throw some shrapnel too, if you really pour the coals to it...
Admittedly, pecan does not split well..

Matt is the only one who could get it to go in the Pecan. If you don't know Matt, think Paul Bunyan, Lawrence Taylor, or Mark McGuire. He swings so hard the wood doesn't have a choice. He could probably split wood with a butter knife, if you know what I mean. But, yes, he did get it (the pecan) to split or at least separate.

Back