The Whining Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mix cocoa with coffee and you have a snooty coffee mocha. Simple. Be sure to add enough cocoa to cancel out the coffee taste.

Pastel thermoses add that final nice touch!

:bang::bang::bang: Coffee should taste like COFFEE! Black. Blacker than a scaler's heart. It should not taste like candy. Ever. And it always tastes better from a dented, paint worn, metal thermos that hasn't been completely washed out since the Nixon administration.

And, speaking of which, about 2 a.m. I'll be shock loading my central nervous system with some of that fine brew. 'Nite all.

Last edited:
I drank coffee at around 9 months old out of a bottle. Both parents love coffee so I guess that was why. I like it black or with a little sugar and cream or milk to hide the burnt taste of some coffee.

Bob- I believe you're talkin about one of these. You could scrape the resin off of the cap threads, let it dry for a little while, smoke it, and be up for days. Coffee must be black. You need that good whince on the first swig out of the pot. Just like a good whiskey.

attachment.php

View attachment 206205

Last edited:
I drink a lot of coffee. . . A lot.

I probably average 24 cups a day. If I do straight black, it tears my guts up, so I fu-fu it up with a little milk and creamer, and a dash of brown sugar.

I only fresh grind too, last time I tried pre-ground I puked in my mouth a little.

I want a French Press eventually, as the coffee gurus say it's the best way to get the most out of beans.

I too am all about the coffee. The little fallin dog carries a mini thermos along with a bite to eat and the random saw parts/tools, and 2 sharp chains. A trip to the dog every two tanks- Maybe a quick smoke, a shot of coff, a sharp chain, a pat on the head for the dog, and its off to 2 more tanks full of cutting.

And I too am moving ever closer to the quality preferences, even treat myself to an americano light water espresso w/ just a bit of water, thats a nice drink, thats the only time I'll take a sugar.

Maybe 18 cups/day. Love it.

Bob- I believe you're talkin about one of these. You could scrape the resin off of the cap threads, let it dry for a little while, smoke it, and be up for days. Coffee must be black. You need that good whince on the first swig out of the pot. Just like a good whiskey.

attachment.php

View attachment 206205

Hey, you found my thermos! Missing handle and all.

Back in the 80's I scaled logs for a spell. Hated every minute if it but needed a break from the woods as I was falling apart.

Other scaler that was a faller tired of getting up so early. He told me about falling PP with 6' of snow on the ground. He would dig a little out of the well, fall the tree & step on the log & ride out of the well like an elevator.

Words fail me. I better have some more coffee. :laugh:

They are a bit more beat up now. The cups have dents in them. I put Barbie Stickers on the violet one.

A co-worker was envious. She asked for a pastel Thermos for Mother's Day. They got her a lawnmower instead. She bought her own light blue Thermos. I think her sons use the lawnmower. A loss of husbandy points on that deal.

My dad taught me how to make coffee. He was not of Norwegian descent. My mom always complained about his coffee. She drank it black, "your dad and HIS family have to make the coffee too strong because they put so much of that MILK or CREAM and SUGAR in it."

I just put hot chocolate in it.

Y'all remember the Thermos lunch boxes, and you put the thermos in the lid? Right around 1981, when my old man was logging, he bought one. It remained his lunch box until he quit logging due to Tamarack poisoning. The thermos itself became lunch for a D6 cat track one day, but the lunch box made it through.

My first job logging, I carried that lunch box, and put my own thermos in the lid. It lasted quite a while, but eventually succumbed to age and fell apart.

I always thought those were a neat setup.

Damn, that aint fair, this is the whining thread and I'm damn well gonna whine about being allergic to coffee, the amount of #### you get for bringing a thermos of hot cocoa to the jobsite is almost too much to bear LOL

Yep, never developed a taste for coffee. Green tea, Earl Grey, black ice tea. Just a bit of lemon to add tartness. Breakfast tea gets milk and honey, otherwise it hurts my guts. Hot cocoa especially the Mexican kind on some days.

Coffee...thanks but no thanks.

Y'all remember the Thermos lunch boxes, and you put the thermos in the lid? Right around 1981, when my old man was logging, he bought one. It remained his lunch box until he quit logging due to Tamarack poisoning. The thermos itself became lunch for a D6 cat track one day, but the lunch box made it through.

My first job logging, I carried that lunch box, and put my own thermos in the lid. It lasted quite a while, but eventually succumbed to age and fell apart.

That post brought back memories, Nate! Same thing happened to my Dad's thermos, too much in a rush after lunch, forgot it on the track......ooops!! lol

That was one of my first lunchoxes in grade school. Got it from grandpa, I think.

Haven't seen the thing since the early 1990s though. Then, of course, I had to get a Captain America lunch box :dizzy:

Would much rather have a Thermos now!

That post brought back memories, Nate! Same thing happened to my Dad's thermos, too much in a rush after lunch, forgot it on the track......ooops!! lol

:cheers:

Kinda want to buy this one cause it's just like dads. . . Like ya say, brings back a lot of memories. When we lived in a small town by a mill, our place was really, really small. My brother and I slept in the closet, on a small mattress, in the only bedroom in the place with mom and dad. Dad used to come home from the woods, and I remember going over to his boots and smelling them. I LOVED that smell! LOL I wonder when they're gonna come out with that smell in an air freshener you hang from the rear view mirror? :laugh:

il_570xN.271155002.jpg

:cheers:

Kinda want to buy this one cause it's just like dads. . . Like ya say, brings back a lot of memories. When we lived in a small town by a mill, our place was really, really small. My brother and I slept in the closet, on a small mattress, in the only bedroom in the place with mom and dad. Dad used to come home from the woods, and I remember going over to his boots and smelling them. I LOVED that smell! LOL I wonder when they're gonna come out with that smell in an air freshener you hang from the rear view mirror? :laugh:

il_570xN.271155002.jpg

i've got one like that but grey. and i cut a hole in the end of the lid so i could fitt the big long thermos in it. need to go dig it out from were ever it is.

If you're thermos hasn't been left on a track and squashed you haven't worked in the woods. They still usually work but at a diminished capacity. I left mine on the 7 track w/ my with a tool box, bad scene.
Rolled a skidder once, went over several times, the damn thermos beat me every time we went over, It stayed in the cab w/ me. Thermos was perfect, new tire and the skidder was also, me, I kept to the cats after that.
The ole' woods boss has a little tiny thermos, shared once, it wasn't coffee but it warmed ya' thru.

The Mosquitos are so thick, and so big, right now, it isn't a good idea to go hunting.

I sat in a stand for three hours two weeks back ,and had to families of hogs at different times SNEAK up on me, becasue I was huddled into my camo so tight covering every inch of skin. I got no shots off, and when I went to leave, I saw two mosquiots carrying a small trukey off...

Not to mention the squirrel that was grabbing magnolia blooms, and dropping them on me while I was sitting there. Like pine cones, they are.

Wait I can whine some more.

Between Irene and the superstorm we had three weeks ago, there aint a dam acorn left in the air. Every critter in the hammock has got to be big and fat.

Latest posts

Back