The Whining Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup always burn more fuel going uphill.

Prolly little heavier on the go pedal on the way home as well.

Long ago in another galaxy I drove 21 hr from CO to OR...in a storm.

I was younger then, dumber too.

Last edited:
The weather service just posted a winter storm warning for the N. Cascades. Really not a lot of snow. I think they are just preparing the troops for what's going to follow.

Thankyou Randy. I am in the violet color. I like that. Why no pink?

The Wing proved to be damper inside than I thought. I rassled mattresses yesterday and will do so again today.

I actually was sitting on my deck in shorts yesterday. Yes, the sun still had some warmth.

Winter Weather Advisory in effect from 6 PM this evening to 6 am PDT Thursday...

Windy here this morning.

Last edited:
Caution...contains whining...and a bit of vulgarity well timed.

I spent most of the morning moving landings. We got the last few loads of logs out, trucks chained up, pushing with a D-6 and and towing with a skidder. The mud was deep where it wasn't frozen solid. It was raining...when it wasn't spitting snow. We needed to move down the hill a mile or two to get below the snow level for the big storm that's due in tonight. This crew has been hitting it hard six days a week. They're tired but they're game and we were getting it done.

We're working alongside a steep, narrow two lane county road that was filled with snowmobile maniacs on their way to the first real snow of the year. They were all in a hurry. They were all frantic...and none of them wanted to be delayed.
We had to put our lowbed on the pavement, blocking both lanes, with the trailer on the dirt while we loaded the machinery. We were slam dunking everything over the back when we could and we had three lowbeds running. We had flagmen to stop the traffic while we loaded and the total delay time was maybe ten minutes for each truck with a half an hour of open road in between. Not too bad, and most of the snowmobile people were patient...if not overly happy with the short delay.

Except for one. A black Humvee towing a six snowmobile trailer came to a sliding stop at our flagman and then jumped out and waved his arms and yelled about the damn loggers who were holding him up. He got a good look at the flagman, who is one of our Cat-skinners, and figured that anybody who's six-five and weighs almost three hundred pounds, shaves infrequently, wears the same clothes all week,and doesn't have teeth, might not take kindly to be yelled at so he got back in his Humvee. And fumed. He was the only one waiting and, without a word being said, the pace of loading slowed down. Way down. The Humvee driver finally couldn't take any more and he started to honk his horn. Repeatedly. It had an especially irritating tone to it and it was loud.

The Cat-skinner took the honking in stride for quite a while, longer than I would have, but eventually he got fed up. He walked over to the Humvee, unzipped his pants, took out his male appendage, and proceeded to piss all over the hood and the headlights and the grillwork and whatever else he could reach. He'd had quite a bit of coffee that morning, from the looks of things. The entire crew burst into spontaneous applause and there were lots of thumbs-up to the Cat-skinner and high fives. The Humvee driver was locking his doors and looking real pale. But he quit honking. When the lowbed left we flagged him through and he drove very slowly looking straight ahead. His passengers looked embarrassed.

I told the Cat-skinner that from now on when he has to answer a call of nature he might try to get a little farther from the road. He just grinned. We got the landings moved and we have tomorrow off. I probably won't answer my phone if it's the office calling.

Last edited:
Thought this was appropriate, and could be printed off and given to the cat-skinner. :D

attachment.php

Great story Bob! Got me to chuckle out loud.

Apparently I'm a week behind, but glad to hear you got your saws back Sam! Now can you pass some of that luck out this way?

My machine runs fine when its rainin and too muddy to skid, but likes to break down when its sunny and dry. What gives?

Last edited:
My machine runs fine when its rainin and too muddy to skid, but likes to break down when its sunny and dry. What gives?

It must be from the coast. When it is raining, it is time to work. When it is sunny and dry, you need to take the day off to either calk the windows, clean the gutters, or sit in the rarely seen sun or go fishing or something. Work can always go on in the rain, but there are other things that cannot be done in the rain.

Listen to your machine....:msp_smile:

We're back to playing "work a few...off a few".

7-Day Forecast for Latitude 40.07°N and Longitude 121.56°W (Elev. 4822 ft)

When it gets to the point where we're having to shovel down through the snow to get a low enough stump the production really suffers. Having to push or pull ( or sometimes both) every truck out really slows things down, too. Especially when it's ten miles from the pavement. Uphill. If the fallers get too far ahead of the skidders and it snows hard overnight a new sport called Grapple Trolling is the best way to find the logs hidden under the snow.

This time of year is hard on men and machinery. But a good warming-fire on the landing helps. Our loader operator brings a little propane camp stove, builds a little shelter for it, and we can have hot coffee too. Pretty fancy.

We're back to playing "work a few...off a few".

7-Day Forecast for Latitude 40.07°N and Longitude 121.56°W (Elev. 4822 ft)

When it gets to the point where we're having to shovel down through the snow to get a low enough stump the production really suffers. Having to push or pull ( or sometimes both) every truck out really slows things down, too. Especially when it's ten miles from the pavement. Uphill. If the fallers get too far ahead of the skidders and it snows hard overnight a new sport called Grapple Trolling is the best way to find the logs hidden under the snow.

This time of year is hard on men and machinery. But a good warming-fire on the landing helps. Our loader operator brings a little propane camp stove, builds a little shelter for it, and we can have hot coffee too. Pretty fancy.

Damn, that aint fair, this is the whining thread and I'm damn well gonna whine about being allergic to coffee, the amount of #### you get for bringing a thermos of hot cocoa to the jobsite is almost too much to bear LOL

Damn, that aint fair, this is the whining thread and I'm damn well gonna whine about being allergic to coffee, the amount of #### you get for bringing a thermos of hot cocoa to the jobsite is almost too much to bear LOL

I think coffee is one of the basic food groups. But hot cocoa on a cold day feels good all the way down.

Mix cocoa with coffee and you have a snooty coffee mocha. Simple. Be sure to add enough cocoa to cancel out the coffee taste.

Original The Boat (TM) recipe right there. Mess decks coffee tasted like burnt sewage, and the cocoa was weak and stale. Mix them at the right proportions, though, and you get a hot drink just not-awful enough to make the workday tolerable.

Nowadays I roll stylish with my French Press. Good, strong, black coffee is all FOUR food groups.

Not to make this into a coffee thread, but I still remember my very first cup. I was about 7 yrs old. Went to visit this elderly Finnish lady. She poured me a cup and put fresh cream(From her cows) and sugar in it. I think I probably thought I was a real grown up.

Back