The Whining Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will make a confession. Had I stayed in Wisconsin, where I did live in a little town, I was going to buy a snowblower. I got tired of wanting to go skiing after work, walking home, and finding I couldn't go skiing because I had to shovel/scoop out the driveway. I'd start out with almost a 3 car wide driveway and in March, it would be a narrow one car wide strip. I did have a heated garage.

I walked or bicycled to work. It was that close. I liked that town. Winters were fun. Summers were too humid for me, the ticks sucked, and the logging was boring when compared to out here. Great people in that area though.

I was telling a friend about all the stuff there was to do in the winter there. I had read where the presentations on various topics at the Great Lakes Something Center were influenced by the Finnish immigrants who valued learning.

Cool place, in the winter.

Yeah I don't know how you could survive around here without a blower or a plow. And you're right about the humidty/mosquitoes/deerflys/horseflys/ticks/etc... Its either cambodia or the arctic here and there isn't much warning inbetween. Usually just like flipping a switch. Today its 90 tomorrow its winter kind of thing. Again I say usually. I'm sure the logging is boring compared to there. Our steeps look like your flats I'm sure and our big timber is probably average there. I've only cut a handful of trees with 60+ feet of logs in them. We are getting a few inches of snow today. You're right about fun things to do in WI winter though. There is a lot to do.

You ever cut a hole in the ice with a chainsaw and then patiently wait for several hours with your homemade spear just to kill a slimy dinosaur-looking fish?

No. I really think ice fishing is something you have to be born into. I did take part in the Book Across the Bay both winters.

I have been snow scooping my road here. It takes two to three hours of hard going. Another replacement for "going to the gym."

I'm glad the neighbor plowed it because that snow was too much and too heavy for efficient snow scooping.

Cody, just gas tank and intake manifold/AF mount. No big deal, just time and money.

Bob, getting a snag out of the way, just got into the backcut and it popped apart below the kerf. Ripped the saw out of my hands while I lost my feet, and tossed it down the hill about a hundred feet.....Took a while to find it. Did hear it bounce off a tree.

Damn Sam! That sucks mang! :msp_thumbdn:

Glad it wasn't a part of your body though!!

We got like 12". . . But it's snowing big flakes right now again.

Roma probably has 16" if I was a betting man.

Edit: Dang, I guess Haywire is slacking on the snow this year! :laugh:

That blows, man
You gonna try and snag a new handle or go with a new one and keep it fer parts, also, I'ma be in yer neck of the woods on the 28th, we oughta have a beer

Sam, Bailey's has those aftermarket 460 tanks I think.

None worth getting on eBay right now.

That sounds good Jake, still got my number?

Nate, thanks for the info on Bailey's. Going to try and come up with something tomorow and have it ready for Monday, but we'll see how that goes. Not enough time for everything!

That sounds good Jake, still got my number?

Nate, thanks for the info on Bailey's. Going to try and come up with something tomorow and have it ready for Monday, but we'll see how that goes. Not enough time for everything!

I don't think I still have it, shoot er on over

Too bad I'm not headed over tomorrow, you could use my 460, it prolly wouldn't know what to think being actually used instead of being a shelf queen 99% of the time :hmm3grin2orange:

It was a guy with a hard to spell and pronounce name that recommended the snow scoop. He, and many others in that area of Wisconsin were of Finnish descent. One logger volunteered at the nursing home to translate for the old people. They would lapse into their original language at times so he was needed.

Now, I should build a sauna. :)

I guess you'll have a lot of visitors if you did that.

The winter sauna project is still imaginary due to the lack of thick ice. From the last winter:

View attachment 218775

I get "Invalid Attachment".

The snow is melting fast here. It was knee high on Wednesday, now the grass is showing through. The dog house roof is almost bare. I better check the river heights.

Hmmmm. I found myself wondering if I have enough cedar trees to make a sauna building.

Sam, can't see the picture here either. Try looking at my instruction in the link in my signature and see if that helps.

I'm intrigued by needing thick ice for the sauna. We just now have enough ice here to drive cars on the lakes, almost a month later than a normal year. Tomorrow, I'm going fishing. I will get a pic or two of our ice fishing shack.

Sorry for the crippled attachment.

Steve, I really need to study your instructions...

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back