The Whining Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The shop sold me a new tank at their cost, good guys. All back together and ready for Monday.

Damn Sam, seems you've had a rough year with equipment.

I had a tree sit down on my saw as it came around late last week. I had a LOT more wood left to cut (or so I thought) when it started to go. I did the ole grab the starter cord and watch the top until it was time to pull it. I got lucky. The wood was really punky and then hollowed out towards the middle. The face was clean though and so was several inches of the back cut. Just one of those wtf moments.

Glad to hear you're back in buisness!

Damn Sam, seems you've had a rough year with equipment.

I had a tree sit down on my saw as it came around late last week. I had a LOT more wood left to cut (or so I thought) when it started to go. I did the ole grab the starter cord and watch the top until it was time to pull it. I got lucky. The wood was really punky and then hollowed out towards the middle. The face was clean though and so was several inches of the back cut. Just one of those wtf moments.

Glad to hear you're back in buisness!

Thanks. The boss wants 300 on the ground a day, so #### is garunteed to happen eventually, the odds ain't in your favor........Just gotta roll with the punches.

They say bad things happen in threes, not me. 4 seems to be the number.

Truck had a flat. Haven't yet had time to make it to the shop to drill the hole and plugpatch it. No spare as it has aftermarket 35's on it.

My beater car ('96 Ford Taurus) had the right rear wheel lock up. Brakes have been grinding for too long now, been waiting for something give out (my fault I know). Rear pad backing plate dropped out of the caliper and locked the wheel up. So I put new rear calipers, rotors and pads on it. Also got a new heater core. Haven't had heat in the car since we bought it in '07. Now I have heat. Tearing the dash out is a royal pain the ass. It also needs tires rotated, and the rear head gasket is blown, leaking some coolant. Just replaced it 2 years ago.

My wifes car started grinding brakes this weekend. Got new pads and rotors for that too. Just waiting to get time to throw those in. Needs an oil change as well. It's on my list.

Sunday evening my wife came home from work, complaining of an aching stomach. I called in to work so I could take care of her. After 3.5 hours of getting sick from both ends, the blood started to show up. Off to the ER we went at 11PM. Docs ran tests, said probably food poisoning. Said internal irration caused the blood. Makes sence as she's a waitress and ate some questionable chicken that night. So we get home at 330AM Monday morning. Come to find out she's not the only one at work that got sick.

She's still feeling nasty. The meds are making her drousy and nauseous even though she's on anti-nauseating meds. :msp_confused:

Called work off last night too, as well as college. Fundamentals of public speaking class, no biggie.

Going to work shortly...

This sucks.

Finally got power back here sometime after midnight last night. This morning found my group had been conscripted for The Greater Good to make pretty the places where Powerful People might see. That leaves 1000+ miles of forest roads that are NOBODY'S priority to clear. Last two days pushed a saw for 8+ hours, looks like the next month will be more of the same -- that ice storm last week beat HELL outta our trees. My Real Job is sort of on hold until, oh, spring-ish. Kinda annoyed.

Finally got power back here sometime after midnight last night. This morning found my group had been conscripted for The Greater Good to make pretty the places where Powerful People might see. That leaves 1000+ miles of forest roads that are NOBODY'S priority to clear. Last two days pushed a saw for 8+ hours, looks like the next month will be more of the same -- that ice storm last week beat HELL outta our trees. My Real Job is sort of on hold until, oh, spring-ish. Kinda annoyed.

I wondered. The news showed pictures of the housing in Ft. Lewis last week. A resident sent the pictures and a description.

Then I saw the edge of the ice damage on my trip to Costco, Sunday.

We lucked out here. We did have a 3 hour power outage a week ago. :msp_ohmy:

Snow last night, new fallen stuff melted by 4am, then freezing rain. . . Now blizzard conditions.

This Pacific flow is nutty!! :dizzy:

we had all that snow melt off with the heavy rain made for a mess around here. look's like the jet is going to split and go north and south. so you all in wash & state of jefferson should get some.

oh yea, no power all night because someone can't keep there car on a strait road. made pwr for 5 hr's till i ran out of propane. should have checked my tanks. you know what i'll be doing today.

An ice storm. Haven't experienced one for awhile. The Falling Pictures thread shows that you've done a good job clearing the mess, madhatte!

I remember a peculiar ice storm when I was a kid. It fell on top of few feet thick snow. A prolonged cold snap followed right after. The snow had an ice cover hard as steel for weeks. You needed power tools to break it. The slopes were traps. If you walked anywhere near the edge, it'd suck you in and down you went until you hit something. It was a fine winter for the boys 10 years old. The hospitals were busy plastering the arms and legs. I knocked my forehead on a tree so hard my ear was bleeding. It didn't leave any permanent damage, though.

You know.

Where was I?

Oh yes. The Man Who Traveled from Kontiolahti to Valtimo as a dog.

We drove behind the foreman's truck all the way, 2 hours it takes, wondering why he took a hound dog with him. The hunting dogs are sensitive. If men are just cutting and nobody will hunt with them, they'll become truly sad and end up killing someone's cattle. At the cabin the dog stepped out of the truck. He weighed well over 200 pounds and had a moustache. His name was Jukka. It was the side flaps of his fur hat, which looked like a pair of dog's ears through the back window of the truck. He chased the rabbit quite well, though, despite of his weight, but refused to mount the landlord's ##### in heat.

Sorry, mates. It's just been one of those days.

I've sort of gotten over being annoyed by the politics of the situation and am just enjoying the work. I've got a crew of 3 from who-knows-which-office swamping behind me. Had one today where as soon as I lined up the gunning cut, some O-ganger comes out of the adjacent building and insists that I stop on account of "foreign dignitaries". The hell? I slapped a wedge in there to keep it sort-of-safe and flagged the crap out of the tree, and moved on to the next. Put that one down at the end of the day, because I sure wasn't comfortable leaving a wedge in a face overnight.

Let's try just one....

Got to the woods this morning and sat in the pickup, drinking coffee, waiting for daylight, and listening to the wind blow. We're working the spur of a ridge and I think it's the only place I've seen where the wind blows from three different directions at once.

When it got light enough to pack in I could see that the wind was gusting 90 degrees to the lead and picking up speed as well. I don't have a wind gauge but watching my nose bag get blown off the tailgate gave me a pretty good guess. In a lot of places the wind will lay down at daylight, up here it just gets worse. I packed in to the strip just to be sure. It was worse. Hell with it...there'll be better days.

I was packing my stuff back in the pickup when the side rod came by. "Let's try just one" he says. "Let's not" was my reply.

So, for all you would-be timber fallers who want to come out here and try this game...I made no wages for the day and all expenses incurred by me were mine to pay. It's just the way things work.

Maybe tomorrow the wind won't blow.

I did the same thing, cold wind too. I cleaned up a mess left from Wed. the boss came by and sent me packing said come back Monday, the difference is I get paid either way, I'm just out commuting expense and my time for the day. We are done skidding just need to finish hauling them. In the good ole' days we'd have been done weeks ago.

Spent the day bunching blow downs, I am on a lot that was hit with a wind storm last spring and I am doing clean up. Trees average about 20 inch dbh oak and hard maple. if they were standing. Huge stump wads that want to kill me when they are cut loose and settle back into the ground. The ground is so wet I can not skid to the landing so I am bunching just to the skid road so if it ever freezes or dries out I can get this stuff to the landing. Normally not something I would whine about, the guy I had working with me quite last week to go work on the pipe line in Pa so I am by myself cutting some pretty dangerous stuff, I am smack dab in the middle of now where the only good thing is that I do have cell service if I need to call for help ...560 trees to go

Got to the woods this morning and sat in the pickup, drinking coffee, waiting for daylight, and listening to the wind blow. We're working the spur of a ridge and I think it's the only place I've seen where the wind blows from three different directions at once.

When it got light enough to pack in I could see that the wind was gusting 90 degrees to the lead and picking up speed as well. I don't have a wind gauge but watching my nose bag get blown off the tailgate gave me a pretty good guess. In a lot of places the wind will lay down at daylight, up here it just gets worse. I packed in to the strip just to be sure. It was worse. Hell with it...there'll be better days.

I was packing my stuff back in the pickup when the side rod came by. "Let's try just one" he says. "Let's not" was my reply.

So, for all you would-be timber fallers who want to come out here and try this game...I made no wages for the day and all expenses incurred by me were mine to pay. It's just the way things work.

Maybe tomorrow the wind won't blow.

I might be green but I already know not to tempt fate with wind. The boss tried to get me to cut one day when he found me setting chokers behind the skidder. He said I could just time it between gusts. I only smiled and nodded. I looked at the skidder operator and shook my head as the boss walked off. No fricken way no cutter gets paid enough to push his comfort zone. I guess though it does help to be weiry.

Latest posts

Back