Under 9lb 40cc class saw - Suggestions please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are 4 remanufactured 401's on e-bay right now.
I love the sawtroll but he misses the boat on this one. The 401 doesn't "suffer" from anything. If it were a Husky he would be singing it's praises and it would be the greatest thing since pockets on shirts!!!

Mike

Here's my two cents worth at age 70 with 18 years in arboriculture.

Jesse, I do not want to flame the discussion. If you can find a Shindaiwa 357 or a small Husky you might be satisfied and meet your objectives. As some of the other folks have said, it might be time to turn over the chainsaw work to a younger person as the older person's body can only take so much labor.

I currently have a Shidaiwa P236 two-part pole saw, an Echo PPT-226 extending pole saw, three Echo CS 3xxx top handle saws, Echo CS-5000 that is a great saw to operate, Echso CS-8000, Stihl MS460, Stihl-066 Magnum and a Tanaka 3301 top handle that I accidentally crushed with my truck last year. Between the two top handle Tanaka saws I liked the smaller 3301 better for features and balance. I have a Stihl MS200T that I straight-gassed by mistake doing while storm damage work in 2009. The cost for another 200T engine jug is more than the saw is worth so I will part it out on eBay. I am about done rebuilding a 1985 Stihl 011AVT For my stepson. This model came in a two-handled version as the 011AV but the weight with bar, chain oil and fuel's will likely reach 12 lbs.

If an electric saw would work for you there are some on the market that meet your weight objective and cut with power. One of the eBay offers currently has 10 available. I owned a Husky electric in 1997 and sold it a year later because I need gas powered equipment.

There are 4 remanufactured 401's on e-bay right now.
I love the sawtroll but he misses the boat on this one. The 401 doesn't "suffer" from anything. If it were a Husky he would be singing it's praises and it would be the greatest thing since pockets on shirts!!!

Mike

I wouldn't - it is a good option, but it it better to be aware what you are buying. regardless of the brand. :msp_wink:

Still hunting ... tried a used 338xpt ... but prefer rear handle control.

I think this is your problem.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yn2X5wmcGf8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Too much blah blah blah, want a saw buy a saw..

I would use my muffler modded with a new ring in it Husqvarna 44 Rancher.I like this saw.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I think this is your problem.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yn2X5wmcGf8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Too much blah blah blah, want a saw buy a saw..

Heya dipstick ... I did buy a saw. I bought a nice used 338xpt ... as I stated earlier.
Nice saw. I didn't like the top handle however ... as I stated. Though with a mod ... it might be the perfect trail work saw for the summer.

Sold that saw already and am still looking for a great fit for what I want.

hey OP !
let us know which way you went.
I`m curious what you got.
cheers.

I am seriously looking at the DCS401 and would mod it right away if I got it.

Problem is ... I like trying saws out ... use them a bit ... If I don't really like them ... then I will fix, tune and sell them and get paid to play and test.

The Makita Refurbs ... I would end up keeping ... too hard to play for free with the entry price ... I have had a DCS540 and consider it in the same camp as my MS-260 ... Perhaps with a Muffler Mod ... an ultralight 20" bar it might just replace the 260.

I am half tempted to buy both a DCS401 and a DCS540 and get rid of my 021, 026 and MS260 altogether and just have all Makita ... 84cc, 64cc, 54cc, 40cc

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on two right now ...

Then tweak and Mod my heart out.

Just that the 401 and 540 are older tech and at least the 540 has so many cracks and crevasses and places where crap builds up that I am not sure I want that ... [took 6 ounces of crap out of the last one I serviced.]

The newer Dolmars PS-5105 in particular are no no-nonsense innards w/internal clutch.

I'll let you know what I end up finding ...

Heya dipstick ... I did buy a saw. I bought a nice used 338xpt ... as I stated earlier.
Nice saw. I didn't like the top handle however ... as I stated. Though with a mod ... it might be the perfect trail work saw for the summer.

Sold that saw already and am still looking for a great fit for what I want.

What did I say in post 21, now buy the car dayumm it,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Well ... kinda stuck ... super tempted to pull the trigger on a DCS401
But hesitant due to the older tech and oiler issues.

a brand new 401 just sold on debay a few minutes ago for $200+shipping....thought very seriously about bidding, but just got too busy this morning.

Saw it too ... but 14" B&C ... ship was $25 for me. passed

Has anyone mentioned the Redmax GZ400? 40.1cc, 2.4hp, 9.7 pounds. If it has already been considered forget I said anything, just didn't want to read all 7 pages to find out :hmm3grin2orange:

Back