Under 9lb 40cc class saw - Suggestions please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey OP !
let us know which way you went.
I`m curious what you got.
cheers.

Well ... I pulled the Trigger on the DCS401 Today [$220 shipped]... it met all my criteria and with the mods I have seen it should perform well for a tiny saw.

I am pretty sure it uses low pro chain ... hope not ... but pretty sure.
If it does then I have a bunch of new ones sitting around.

If not I have a line in on some square tooth Stihl.

Already sold my New MS210 and 021.

Even though the 401 seemed old tech it has a lot of pro features ... even has a decomp.

Apparently it over oils and isn't adjustable ... I can live with that and would rather it over oil than under oil.

So my line-up is now:
  • 40cc 16"
  • 50cc 16" and 20"
  • 64cc 20"
  • 84cc 30"

They really don't "over oil" so much unless you let them idle for a few minutes.
If you set it down to move brush, for instance when you pick it back up and hit the throttle it will sling a little off.

I understand that they can be converted to .325 by using the set-up from a 410/411 but I like mine just fine in 3/8ths LP.

I put an amateur woods port and muffler mod on mine and I love it badder than a hog loves slop!
I'm gonna predict that you will REALLY like yours when you get it done.

Mike

They really don't "over oil" so much unless you let them idle for a few minutes.
If you set it down to move brush, for instance when you pick it back up and hit the throttle it will sling a little off.

I understand that they can be converted to .325 by using the set-up from a 410/411 but I like mine just fine in 3/8ths LP.

I put an amateur woods port and muffler mod on mine and I love it badder than a hog loves slop!
I'm gonna predict that you will REALLY like yours when you get it done.

Mike

Woohoo !!!

I feel a lot better about the purchase .... Thanks man ...

I haven't chewed on a saw purchase so hard before ... but reeaally wanted to just have ONE 40cc and under saw that acted light and powerful.

Can't wait now for it to get here.

Well ... I pulled the Trigger on the DCS401 Today [$220 shipped]... it met all my criteria and with the mods I have seen it should perform well for a tiny saw.

I am pretty sure it uses low pro chain ... hope not ... but pretty sure.
If it does then I have a bunch of new ones sitting around.

Probably a sensible choise! :)

Most likely it is 3/8" lo-pro, as you said.

There was a .325 version named 411, but I never heard of a Makita version of that one. It should be easy to convert it, if you want to.....

IPL 401/411 etc

Probably a sensible choise! :)

Most likely it is 3/8" lo-pro, as you said.

There was a .325 version named 411, but I never heard of a Makita version of that one. It should be easy to convert it, if you want to.....

IPL 401/411 etc

I think I'll be happy with the low-pro ... since I have a bunch of new 16" low-pro chains I got for $4.50 each. [I should have bought more.]

difference in kerf between 3/8 LP & .325 NK

I agree on not much, I had loops of 95VP .325 NK & 91 3/8 LP handy,
laid them on a board & rough measured with the slide out of a carpenters
rule; 1/4" on the 95VP & <1/32" less on the 91.

Well ... I got the saw in.
It weighs in at 11.2 pounds with B&C Gas and Oil.

Very happy with it.

Refurbished = barely used with some scuffs.

It feels like it has plenty of power to the degree it will eliminate all saws in my stable under 50cc.

Now for the battle for the perfect 50cc saw.

I haven't tried the 346xp
I have a MS260 and have had a PS-5105, DCS540, DCS510, Dolmar 111 and several Huskies.

Right now I have a Husky 55 in mint condition ... I am wondering if it might not be the winner over the MS-260 ???

BTW what are the weight specs for them two?

Good luck with it. I just got a Dolmar 401 off ebay this past week, probably the one you were looking at. It was listed with a 14" b&c, but actually came with a 16". I put a 14" I had on it. It seems to be a decent built saw. :cool2:

Tanaka ECV4501 Chainsaw

Tanaka ECV4501/ 18" or 20" : 43cc/2.5hp, vertical cylinder, automatic decompression system,
rear mounted handle, inertia activated chain brake. Weight 8.8 lbs.
I hope this helps!!

Last edited:
older thread, but welcome anyway.

Stihl Pioneer.....how much have you used your 401? I should have one waiting on me at the front door when i get home. i bought it on a whim. It was a good deal, and I have been wanting a walking saw for some time. At less than 9lbs it should fill the bill. It looks like a MM is pretty much de regueur.

Solo 640 or 643IP

Two other choices

SOLO 2.6 hp, 40cc / 18": designed and shaped for the
professional arborist. Nikasil treated cylinder, Ecomatic
oil system, antivibration system, 7.9 lbs.

SOLO 2.7 hp, 40.2cc 16" / 18": long term power plant, Nikasil
treated cylinder, Ecomatic oil system, antivibration
system, 9.0 lbs.

Again, this is an older thread. The original poster has already bought a Dolmar 401. If you want to post weights of light saws, why not start your own thread. I'm sure it will get more attention that way.

Stihl Pioneer.....how much have you used your 401? I should have one waiting on me at the front door when i get home. i bought it on a whim. It was a good deal, and I have been wanting a walking saw for some time. At less than 9lbs it should fill the bill. It looks like a MM is pretty much de regueur.

I havn't used it a whole lot. What little I have it is a nice unit. Seems a little more ballsy than the little poulan pros I have.

Thanks, that is very encouraging. I got it today, but i didn't get to run it. It looks to be a VERY low hour saw. The weight is 9lbs, 1oz. It qualifies as a fly weight saw!!! I will start with a MM and run it a little this weekend. I have too much to else on the bench right now to port it.

Back