whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was able to get the heater guy to bring me a filter so we are running full steam again. I tried to bypass the filter but didn't have the right fitting. I could have run it off a 5 gallon can but I just wanted it fixed right then and there. The guys from Oehlert are nice enough, not your typical hardcase HVAC guy wanting to charge you for stuff you don't need. Some of the guys from Oehlert are a little stand-offish at first but after I show them how to fix the dam thing they warm up. They all say the same thing when they see my burner, they say, " Crap, not a Riello." And nobody has any idea about the tank which is a Roth. They say, " Last time I was working on a system like this was at a mansion up on Valley Forge Mountain." I tell them I am just doing my best to keep up with the Joneses."

I was able to get the heater guy to bring me a filter so we are running full steam again. I tried to bypass the filter but didn't have the right fitting. I could have run it off a 5 gallon can but I just wanted it fixed right then and there. The guys from Oehlert are nice enough, not your typical hardcase HVAC guy wanting to charge you for stuff you don't need. Some of the guys from Oehlert are a little stand-offish at first but after I show them how to fix the dam thing they warm up. They all say the same thing when they see my burner, they say, " Crap, not a Riello." And nobody has any idea about the tank which is a Roth. They say, " Last time I was working on a system like this was at a mansion up on Valley Forge Mountain." I tell them I am just doing my best to keep up with the Joneses."

I replied with quote so we can all be updated on your incredible post! OMG! Do go on!
Jeff:dizzy:

Do you have a pic of the whole tree? $5000 is a one day job for me. Just curious.
Jeff

Would be one day with a crane but it's over 100' from the street so no crane access unless you want to spend 3g's for a day with a 70 ton.

For me I'll take my 3 days with a 4 man crew. The 70 ton is doable but too much hassle.

Tree would probably be on the ground before the end of day 2 but getting all the wood to the street through the side gate and narrow passage by the house would take a lot of work.

I would love to get the job but the other guy bid the same as me and but I passed on the stump grinding. I am starting to like these big trees since I am finally not underbidding them like crazy anymore. We are on day 2 of a 3 day euc removal for 5400. The highest I have ever bid on a single tree. I think we might be ripping stuff on the ground though for a 4th day so it will not be as profitable. There is zero drop done for this tree. Everything is being lowered. No crane access for this one either unfortunately.
View attachment 264412

I replied with quote so we can all be updated on your incredible post! OMG! Do go on!
Jeff:dizzy:

I know but it beats harassing the newbies and I ain't even trying to start nothing with you as its just old hat. No, what I need now is a good old fashioned home invasion as I am pretty drunk just sitting here fondling my spanking new Mossberg 12 gauge 500 Persuader with a pistol grip and tactical stock. In a minute I am going to get up and pose in front of the mirror but right now I just want to tell you that I don't hold your homosexuality against you.

Yeah same here, we have never been more then a day on a single tree ever. Post some pics of this tree Mike. That would be one massive pile of grinder shavings from that one though for sure.

I bet I could find a tree that'd take you more than a day. Sometimes I wonder about you guys. I've seen some nasty trees in impossible spots... to make a statement like that makes me seriously wonder what kind of trees you're dealing with. Just saying.

I bet I could find a tree that'd take you more than a day. Sometimes I wonder about you guys. I've seen some nasty trees in impossible spots... to make a statement like that makes me seriously wonder what kind of trees you're dealing with. Just saying.

We start early, work til dark! We work efficiently, and on big trees have enough guys to keep things moving and no one stands around! Like that crane job I did last week, 2 hours on the ground, left a few of my guys to clean up (another 2) we moved onto the next job. That's how we roll. Experience & Efficiency!;)........Just saying!

Last edited:
We start early, work til dark! We work efficiently, and on big trees have enough guys to keep things moving and no one stands around! Like that crane job I did last week, 2 hours on the ground, left a few of my guys to clean up (another 2) we moved onto the next job. $2200.00, -450 for the crane (he charges from the time he leaves his shop) That's how we roll. Experience & Efficiency!;)........Just saying!

Still comes down to one one guy in the tree. A guy can only rig so fast. I'm thinking you do ##### trees.. just saying.

I wish I had a pic of the tree. It has large trunks hanging way over the house. Lot's of ripping for sure. If there was a nice big drop zone and it was in the front yard it could be done in a day... but it would also go for a lot less than 5,000.

We try to be as efficient as possible but there is no way this tree can be done in a day. In LA you have a lot of large Aleppo pines, ficus, and eucs in small pieces of property with all kinds of prima donna customers. Many trees have taken us 2 or 3 days to do with my 3-5 guys. Most of the work is usually ripping and getting rid of wood, especially with the backyard trees. Once you start to exceed 3' DBH it gets a lot harder... Had I a mini- skid it would help significantly though.

Do you have a pic of the whole tree? $5000 is a one day job for me. Just curious.
Jeff

Its a beautiful day.

And if the rest of guys didn't hear corrcectly it appears that The Old Man says that HE would do it in one day opposed to you slackers taking longer. Of course when he says " me" he really means the 16 poor bastards he goes gestapo on every day of his miserable life.

I wish I had a pic of the tree. It has large trunks hanging way over the house. Lot's of ripping for sure. If there was a nice big drop zone and it was in the front yard it could be done in a day... but it would also go for a lot less than 5,000.

We try to be as efficient as possible but there is no way this tree can be done in a day. In LA you have a lot of large Aleppo pines, ficus, and eucs in small pieces of property with all kinds of prima donna customers. Many trees have taken us 2 or 3 days to do with my 3-5 guys. Most of the work is usually ripping and getting rid of wood, especially with the backyard trees. Once you start to exceed 3' DBH it gets a lot harder... Had I a mini- skid it would help significantly though.

Thanks Mike, we rollout the bobcat with grapples for bigger jobs when we can. Saves a ton of time for sure. Used it this past weekend in the snow and made a good pile of logs. After the trees were felled, limbed, we cut the logs into 8-12' lengths for the owners dad to mill.

Back