whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah planned to get crossing limbs and any diseased but the crown is not looking healthy it will look goofy with it removed.

I know what you mean. And maybe you can't prune the disease out. We lost 17 Leylands we planted late last fall. Not disease but I think they froze to death. We have had luck with others esp once established. Here is one I planted just a couple of years ago. Asked the girl I didn't know to stand by it for perspective.

You probably got huge ones where you are?

I know what you mean. And maybe you can't prune the disease out. We lost 17 Leylands we planted late last fall. Not disease but I think they froze to death. We have had luck with others esp once established. Here is one I planted just a couple of years ago. Asked the girl I didn't know to stand by it for perspective.

Well this one is 30 foot tall, i will sterilize pruner and pole saw before and after. I think our drought stressed it making it vulnerable which is why I plan to mulch. I guess prune and if it gets worse it's a removal. I was referred to her by our urban forester I will call him with my idea and get his input as well. I don't get a whole lot of these jobs and want more so I try hard to get it right!

Well this one is 30 foot tall, i will sterilize pruner and pole saw before and after. I think our drought stressed it making it vulnerable which is why I plan to mulch. I guess prune and if it gets worse it's a removal. I was referred to her by our urban forester I will call him with my idea and get his input as well. I don't get a whole lot of these jobs and want more so I try hard to get it right!

Take a pict for client and forester and give it to them before you start and be sure they do not have any unreasonable expectations (magic).

I pulled a recent (Arborage 3/2011) pest of the month I saved.

Unlike other types of canker that single handedly enlarge to girdle the stem, Seiridium cankers form in longitudinal clusters. multiplying around a branch and reducing water flow.

Overhead irrigation can spread it (as can rain)...."be sure to prune infected trees at least one inch (3 to 4 inches is recommended) below the canker and (like you said) sterilize pruners between cuts.

....no fungicide currently proven completely effective....however some success with proper irrigation and a potassium-phosphite soil drench or trunk injection has been found.

As you mentioned....the mulch...and maybe some "soil surfactants that promote consistent soil moisture throughout the soil profile to avoid channeling.

Article was provided by a Ms. Zirbel from Mauget and find more at Home - Mauget - The Original Micro-Injection System re Seiridium canker.

That sucks, replacing 17 leylands could cost you almost a hundred dollars at home depot. That tree is at least double the size by now. A true p.o.s and never a good recommendation.

Finally sold a big one today... It's about time. 3 large removals. Two large Silver Maples and one large Elm. Only problem is he wants to do it in phases... Not a problem.

I've got the first one scheduled for next Thursday (the earliest I can possibly get to it). It's the biggest tree with the most liability. Big Silver Maple right over the house. Gonna have to drop utilities and 2 fences. I would normally bid for a crane but the neighboring lot is a church so I can drop the fence and save him a little coin there. Huge stump to grind, at least a 72 incher...

I'm just glad to being back to dealing in thousands instead of hundreds...

small thoughts from a small source:dizzy:

Leyland cyprees's are ment for hedge rows and nothing more. I prune them with hedge trimmers on a routine basis. They grow 3 feet a year or more and are basically, glorified laurels. I have yet to meet a arborist who would plant or recommend them. I have never planted one and steer clients away from them on a routine basis.

Leyland cyprees's are ment for hedge rows and nothing more. I prune them with hedge trimmers on a routine basis. They grow 3 feet a year or more and are basically, glorified laurels. I have yet to meet a arborist who would plant or recommend them. I have never planted one and steer clients away from them on a routine basis.

Different plants do well in different climates. How did these hedge rows you trim appear. Somebody planted them. Look at that plant in my picture, it is beautiful. That lime green color is different and they grow quickly.

I have done quite well specializing in "SCREENS" or tall hedges over the last 10 years. I designed a hedge/screen with Bracken Brown Beauty Magnolias (evergreen and hardy) staggered with the Leylands between them. The contrast of color and texture is beautiful. My only worry is that disease. I made 10k on that screen and the ho is paying the replacement....I have to give the labor. All the BB Mags survived.

I have a number of healthy active L cypress screens going now along with a bunch of other types of screens.

Tomorrow we are planting a 6" dia 25' tall Autumn Blaze maple with a 3k root ball with the crane and dug with the stump grinder for nothing like chump change.

Different plants do well in different climates. How did these hedge rows you trim appear. Somebody planted them. Look at that plant in my picture, it is beautiful. That lime green color is different and they grow quickly.

I have done quite well specializing in "SCREENS" or tall hedges over the last 10 years. I designed a hedge/screen with Bracken Brown Beauty Magnolias (evergreen and hardy) staggered with the Leylands between them. The contrast of color and texture is beautiful. My only worry is that disease. I made 10k on that screen and the ho is paying the replacement....I have to give the labor. All the BB Mags survived.

I have a number of healthy active L cypress screens going now along with a bunch of other types of screens.

Tomorrow we are planting a 6" dia 25' tall Autumn Blaze maple with a 3k root ball with the crane and dug with the stump grinder for nothing like chump change.

Finally a hundred posts later and I get a educated response THANK YOU. I get the need for screens but would not use a leyland to meet that goal. They grow like weeds and personally do nothing for me in the looks dept. They are a cash cows needing trimming evey year but as a pro. arborist I could never install them in good conscious. I'm a fan of magnolias for screens as well. To each his own for the leylands at least someone out there likes em. Personally I prefer to feed them to the 250 xp

As far as how they do in this climate. You could push them out of a pick up in a mall parking lot and they would be twenty five feet tall in five years. I'm not kidding, it rains daily eight months a year here and avg's 50 degrees they thrive. Arborists here hate these trees, might be that they are a bit less common in your parts with the colder temps.

Last edited:

As far as how they do in this climate. You could push them out of a pick up in a mall parking lot and they would be twenty five feet tall in five years. I'm not kidding, it rains daily eight months a year here and avg's 50 degrees they thrive. Arborists here hate these trees, might be that they are a bit less common in your parts with the colder temps.

That's a big part of it..I don't think there were any until I started putting them in and now others are using them. People like "different" and adaptable. If small quantities sell, the nurseries will build up supplies until they falter.

I also think I had a part in the BB Beauty Mags all over my niche area. I have put them in all sorts of spots no one would expect them to survive and not one in hundreds has frozen or failed.

They (Leylands) likely would not have a chance here 10 or more years ago. The climate has changed drastically. Sugar maples which proliferated everywhere will not survive here if they are not Vert wilt and drought/heat resistant cultivars. Thousands of mature ones have died here.

I am thinking they (leylands) may even be better off and not grow quite so much (extremes) here because of our winters. That may be a good thing.

Some of us started climbing on a 'Bowline on a Bight' as our first saddle. God, those kill you at the end of the day. Manilla rope was the ****. Some of us know how to realize we pursue a passion!
Jeff :)

the old man told me about this early on and showed me how to do it with 3 loops so your ass didnt get pinched to death. Hard core old school. So much I wana say rite now. urge to kill subsiding.....

Sometimes I get flash backs from my 41 plus year career about some of the more interesting clients I have had. Today I was reminiscing as I just found out the current residents of former Cincinnati Bengal's coach Sam Wyche and his beautiful wife Jane home in my town were moving. I just literally loved these current residents, the husband a reknowned surgeon and Sam Wyche most can remember, was coach of Bengal's for Superbowl in '88 and had many publicized encounters with the press

including when he banned a woman reporter from the locker room and then after being chastised for it he, I think I remember, allowed her in the lockers and if I remember right took a tour of the locker room himself sans clothes. Sam was an accomplished magician as well and always good for a neat quote or wild act leading to his nickname of "wacky wychy".

Another wacko I had for years like sam I just recalled was of the name of Myron Fass. So I googled him... Myron phoned my office one day in the mid '70's to come over to do some clearing on his property on a right of way to his estate property for his huge camper vehicle.

So I head over to meet him on his driveway and down the road he roars on a dirt bike in full camo uniform with a baret sideways on his head. As we went down the road he flipped his finger and said "take this off......take this down, that down, this down....." "ok,ok,ok, as I wrote treeman's shorthand" We get to his mansion and he has me in and he has a large herd of schi tzu dogs roaming piscing all over the floor and on the furniture,...and it stinks in there.

We sit down to chat about the job and he has guns and magazines all over the place and he says "I have the record for fastest recorded kill of 3 crooks in NYC in history"....OK, ....

He says you may encounter some problems with the neighbors of the right of way. Just call me I don't want an estimate, just do it.

We come back and bam, we got a neighbor on us threatening suit. We leave and Myron calls me right away. Where TF you go? "They gonna sue me Myron" "get back here, my lawyers will take care of everything" I call his lawyer and he says Myron is ALWAYs suing someone and, yes we will take care of you.

I come back and Myron is out there and out comes the neighbor and we again walk down the drive while the neighbor watches but this time as he describes the trees to be removed just a short distance from the neighbor, Myron pulls out a large caliber derringer and blasts a round into each tree and branch as we walk and immidiately the neighbor struggles and.....goes down....and

DIES.....from a heart attack. Many calls later and contacts with the lawyer, we got the job done and life returns to normal ....until the next call from Myron Fass (or some other loonie like the richest guy in Cinci that just died that was an overt devil worshipper and had a huge devil worship facility on his property, or a nudist colony or so on and so on).....Myron Fass....RIP...lol....fat chance

BAD MAGS

You got that right 75

Today we planted an autumn blaze maple with a 3k root ball and bout 5 inch dbh. 75 inch hole 30" deep.

Good niche job..not too big to worry about survival esp. a Silv. maple cultivar.

Helped a buddy in the morning on what was supposed to be a pruning job, wound up removing 20" diameter red maple from inside a pool fence, what a PITA. Had to take really small pieces, all the while saying to myself man, with a small crane I'd take this thing in 2 pieces from the driveway and be done quick. After that I went home to wash up for meeting with clients. Dropped off an invoice with one, another wasn't around... I was planning to get a deposit for some planting work. Gave an estimate for some removal and pruning work, looked at some removals with another guy, picked up money for delivering a fountain for a really good client, picked up an easy removal job... 3 oaks in a row, no lowering, worst part is gonna be dealing with the wood. Gonna have a buddy come over to scap up 2 loads with his dump truck, I'll have my guys stack the rest.

TV-Yeah, I agree that takes the cake!:dizzy:, reminded me of Shelby from Axe men when he took his buyer out on the water and his cousin shows up with an AK-47, and scares him!. But marking trees with a gun, and taking out the NEIGHBOR! F-ing WOW!

TV-Yeah, I agree that takes the cake!:dizzy:, reminded me of Shelby from Axe men when he took his buyer out on the water and his cousin shows up with an AK-47, and scares him!. But marking trees with a gun, and taking out the NEIGHBOR! F-ing WOW!

Yeah, I figgered to be involved in a huge law suit or case. Waited and waited....and nothing. I mean....how can any insurance begin to cover a human life. What a knucklehead.

Back