whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Built on the chipper box for the SuperDuty....

superduty.jpg

but don't worry, I had Supervision...

supervision.jpg

Very qualified lookin super Biggy.:msp_thumbup:

I have built a hunderd chip boxes back in the day. Always enjoyed it. Very therapeutic. But eventually they got blown apart or decayed and time to build another one. I go metal for the last 20 years or so.

Nobody uses the word "treetarded" but OD....he invented it
QUOTE]

Well, say what you want, treetardeds been around Way B4 od ever even picked up a saw.

Granted that may be true in your area but I am on my 5th year with getting on 8,000 posts on forums and have never heard anybody but OD say this word.

My money is that's OD. :alien2:

I think its his boss.

Im jelous. I hate the midwest. I hate being born 40 years to late. I hate pickup truck hacks, I hate rain. I hate not being able to kill every tree in sight. Im screwed. P.S. @Marquis, what chipper you runnin' in that pic? Conehead or , cant think of the other goofball off name one... Not like the other yellow ones every retards got around here. You guys ever run a mini with a grapple on jobs like that to get the stuff the little boom wont reach, or will that chipper eat so big that it doesnt matter?

I think they use the woodsman's.

In the same boat here though with the work. Got some, but should have a LOT more, the hacks and low-lives are taking a lot of the business because they advertise all over the place "will work for cheap."

Very qualified lookin super Biggy.:msp_thumbup:

I have built a hunderd chip boxes back in the day. Always enjoyed it. Very therapeutic. But eventually they got blown apart or decayed and time to build another one. I go metal for the last 20 years or so.

Thanks man, it is therapeutic. This is my second box, all pressure treated with 3/4" panels, 4x4 posts in the corners, 2x12s across the front and one on each side to tie in the 4x6 panels and give a hinge point and structure to the roof. When complete, it will have a roof top that flips over on the front half for rear loading. It will be painted white with enough room with this design for a 4x8 aluminum sheet panel to be fixed flat across the sides; I've got a local sign guy that is going to do up a nice sign for us. There is also a decent sized lockable tool box getting mounting in between the cab and box, but I didn't want to have to work around it. I've got a monster winch bumper waiting to get mounted as well. It will be a capable rig for its size.

It's likely to be my last wooden box though, but it should last longer than I actually keep the truck. I've had to pass up on two metal chipper boxes on trucks of this size, one steel and one aluminum. Just didn't have enough extra dough at the right time.

However, the next upgrade is likely to be a medium duty with a steel box for a couple of reasons, one of which is the ability to handle the larger chippers safely.

Thanks man, it is therapeutic. This is my second box, all pressure treated with 3/4" panels, 4x4 posts in the corners, 2x12s across the front and one on each side to tie in the 4x6 panels and give a hinge point and structure to the roof. When complete, it will have a roof top that flips over on the front half for rear loading. It will be painted white with enough room with this design for a 4x8 aluminum sheet panel to be fixed flat across the sides; I've got a local sign guy that is going to do up a nice sign for us. There is also a decent sized lockable tool box getting mounting in between the cab and box, but I didn't want to have to work around it. I've got a monster winch bumper waiting to get mounted as well. It will be a capable rig for its size.

It's likely to be my last wooden box though, but it should last longer than I actually keep the truck. I've had to pass up on two metal chipper boxes on trucks of this size, one steel and one aluminum. Just didn't have enough extra dough at the right time.

However, the next upgrade is likely to be a medium duty with a steel box for a couple of reasons, one of which is the ability to handle the larger chippers safely.

cool!

Granted that may be true in your area but I am on my 5th year with getting on 8,000 posts on forums and have never heard anybody but OD say this word.

My money is that's OD. :alien2:
Gotcha, but OD wouldnt be the one postin on the employment forum, and thats where this name first posted, if I remember right. We (me and my old partner) thought we coined the phrase back in 01'.

QUOTE]

Thank you. Woodsman. Thats the name that escaped me.

Gotcha, but OD wouldnt be the one postin on the employment forum, and thats where this name first posted, if I remember right. We (me and my old partner) thought we coined the phrase back in 01'.

QUOTE]

Thank you. Woodsman. Thats the name that escaped me.

wow..so its true, justin really is the Howard Stearn of tree oh sorry arbor site, everyone just dieing to see what he is going to say next....
No this is not OD/Justin, you should be able to tell by the restraint shown in all of the posts.
The chipper in the picture is a woodsmen 790 375hp
"Treetarded" its a great word, only thing that came to mind watching that machine work.
We dont have a Mini with the crane crew, most of the debris end up within reach of the grapple.
I wouldnt say we mostly take down pine trees, but for some reason the big pine jobs tend to be better phone ops, I will try to remember to take more pictures of us working on hardwoods.

Can I get a definition of treetarded!

We tried removing a big A sycamore, weather called for winds 10-20 SW, we were getting 40-50 NE gust's! WT was at the top when first one hit, blew him back 5ft on a decent lead, all I heard was " woooooooooooah" looked up and seen a top of a white pine bend over 45 degrees. We were getting ready to take a big lead that reached over the back of the house to the front, little room for adjustment, after about 20 minutes of debating whether the wind was going to quit, we got another huge gust, this time we heard branches breaking in other trees n the hood, time to go!
First nice day, sunny, 60, but then the damn wind, jeez mother nature! can we get a break! If the trees had more developed leaf's, I'm sure we would have had damage.

Last edited:
I had that knee surgery on Friday and have been all done up with Vickies all weekend.
The weekend before I spent in The Landmark Forum which was actually pretty decent.

wow..so its true, justin really is the Howard Stearn of tree oh sorry arbor site, everyone just dieing to see what he is going to say next....
No this is not OD/Justin, you should be able to tell by the restraint shown in all of the posts.
The chipper in the picture is a woodsmen 790 375hp
"Treetarded" its a great word, only thing that came to mind watching that machine work.
We dont have a Mini with the crane crew, most of the debris end up within reach of the grapple.
I wouldnt say we mostly take down pine trees, but for some reason the big pine jobs tend to be better phone ops, I will try to remember to take more pictures of us working on hardwoods.

Are you the crane op, the short gm or the other gm. Saw you over on the buzz too.

I got a stoopid long hair mini weinerdog I call "fleatard" lol.:laugh:

I had that knee surgery on Friday and have been all done up with Vickies all weekend.
The weekend before I spent in The Landmark Forum which was actually pretty decent.

Enjoy those vics and heal up quick, Dano. There's trees that need to die.

Man, I love the Tennis Channel HD. You guys have no idea. Ya got these gorgeous, fit young women running around in very little clothes, sweating like crazy and clothes sticking to them.

My fave parts are when they are waiting to receive serve and the crouch down and the cam view is from behind. Also when they are about to serve they bounce up and down on their toes. And I mean THEY literally bounce up and down. :msp_smile:

Tennis is great too. (wife don't even complain much)

And plywood can last a long time on a chip box. Depends what you're running for a chipper too though. The 250 I have now is brutal on that stuff, it finally finished off my last one within weeks of purchase. My buddy has an HVAC fab biz, built this out of his heavier gauge sheets. I don't think there would be much left already if we hadn't done that. Notice how he even went around the 2x4's, showing off his tin knocking skills! Dork. Nice touch though..

newreply.php

Latest posts

Back