whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put down a big Sweetgum friday, 3', down, chipped up, all cut up and piled for the HO to split in 5 hours. Started out dry and then that annoying drizzle! I reached my breaking point with the rain:angry:truck got stuck, spinning in 4 wheel drive.

Enjoyed a nice trail run with the wife saturday along the canal path south of Barberton, made working in the rain friday all worthwhile!

And plywood can last a long time on a chip box. Depends what you're running for a chipper too though. The 250 I have now is brutal on that stuff, it finally finished off my last one within weeks of purchase. My buddy has an HVAC fab biz, built this out of his heavier gauge sheets. I don't think there would be much left already if we hadn't done that. Notice how he even went around the 2x4's, showing off his tin knocking skills! Dork. Nice touch though..

That is fancy...:D

My first box on the good ol chevy has old barn wood 2x12s along the front. The woodchuck, and the vermeer 1400 I had when the truck was on the ROW, have both played havoc, but the boards have stood up to it.

I have some galvanized panels from an old grain bin that I'm considering runnning across the front wall on this one just to give it some more longevity. I'm not too worried about the corner posts, as the other box has seen minimal wear on them. By the time I'm shooting into the corners they are usually well protected by the chips. In his case I can see the function in protecting that area though, might as well while you are there and with the skills and material.

Both of mine are built onto old contractor dump beds past their prime, but if I ever consider another ton truck because it has all that I want, save it's stuck with a contractor's dump bed, I'll consider buying the steel and fabing a custom box from scratch. Likely something that bolts on and could be removed and set on running gear if need be. Just some ideas.

Last edited:
That is fancy...:D

My first box on the good ol chevy has old barn wood 2x12s along the front. The woodchuck, and the vermeer 1400 I had when the truck was on the ROW, have both played havoc, but the boards have stood up to it.

I have some galvanized panels from an old grain bin that I'm considering runnning across the front wall on this one just to give it some more longevity. I'm not too worried about the corner posts, as the other box has seen minimal wear on them. By the time I'm shooting into the corners they are usually well protected by the chips. In his case I can see the function in protecting that area though, might as well while you are there and with the skills and material.

Both of mine are built onto old contractor dump beds past their prime, but if I ever consider another ton truck because it has all that I want, save it's stuck with a contractor's dump bed, I'll consider buying the steel and fabing a custom box from scratch. Likely something that bolts on and could be removed and set on running gear if need be. Just some ideas.

The Southco MP-1472 that I'm having built for my new (to me) International, is gonna be done towards the end of next month. I don't intend on forgetting my humble plywood beginnings anytime soon though!

The Southco MP-1472 that I'm having built for my new (to me) International, is gonna be done towards the end of next month. I don't intend on forgetting my humble plywood beginnings anytime soon though!

Absolutely.

What's that going to run you, out of curiosity?

I'll have $400 or so in materials for this box project when it's all done before the signs go on.

Absolutely.

What's that going to run you, out of curiosity?

I'll have $400 or so in materials for this box project when it's all done before the signs go on.

$17,500.00. after tax, that's with high capacity/HD option..my color. They do the hitch, hoist/pto combo, plus back up beeper, and all that too. you just hook up to your machine and go to workie.. supposedly. remains to be seen, though!

I promise to give a full review here, trust me on that one! lol.

Last edited:
Enjoy those vics and heal up quick, Dano. There's trees that need to die.

Yo buddy, I got yer message. The last MRI I had done had shown a torn meniscus, basically a piece of cartilage that was acting like a hangnail. They went in and cut it out. It was an outpatient proceedure which took about a half hour to peform and I am pretty much back on my feet actually.
There are two small holes in the front of my knee where they went in and " scoped" it. Its all swollen now but its getting better pretty quick. Its not like a full blown knee operation.
The thing is that since they removed some cushioning material I will most likely have problems forever. There is allready some bone adema from the loss of cartilage. There is something called Synvisk which they can inject for a cushion if I need it.
They did give me a good supply of Vickies but I only took them right after the surgery and the following day which was Saturday. I haven't taken any today ( Sunday) but I still feel wasted from it.
They gave me a double shot of Diluadid and a spinal when they performed the operation. All in all the worst part of this whole thing is recovering from the drugs.

$17,500.00. after tax, that's with high capacity/HD option..my color. They do the hitch, hoist/pto combo, plus back up beeper, and all that too. you just hook up to your machine and go to workie.. supposedly. remains to be seen, though!

:msp_scared: ...it better be all that you want it to be. High Capacity...how many yards? Sounds sweet....and I guess not all that bad when I consider what "Switch and Go" wants to set up my dream truck.

The more I get into fabrication, the more I'll consider building my own for that kind of money. Not that I think you're getting a raw deal, but I'll pay myself to do the work, in a sense, during the off season. I've been wanting to build my own switch and go system ever since I came across them a couple of years ago.

I realize some times you need to farm things out for a number of really good reasons, but I'll avoid it when I can. I'm thinking/hoping at some point, I'll rarely have the time to mess with it.

Do let us know how it goes with them.

Dayum,:msp_ohmy: imagine all the stuff you could do with that $17,500?

My first metal box was a used Aplundh box in perfect shape for $600. I drove a flatbed dump up to Lewis Tree and strapped it down with comealongs and got back and paid maybe $400. to have it attached with channel and bolts so it was completely removable with the crane.

Dayum,:msp_ohmy: imagine all the stuff you could do with that $17,500?

My first metal box was a used Aplundh box in perfect shape for $600. I drove a flatbed dump up to Lewis Tree and strapped it down with comealongs and got back and paid maybe $400. to have it attached with channel and bolts so it was completely removable with the crane.

I don't know, spending $37,500 on a monster under CDL chip/wood truck with air brakes doesn't seem all that rediculous to me... especially when I see kids driving around in useless pickups that cost that much. Wanted to do something nice for the business, not throw on some used up asplundh crap. Maybe that's just me..

Last edited:
:msp_scared: ...it better be all that you want it to be. High Capacity...how many yards? Sounds sweet....and I guess not all that bad when I consider what "Switch and Go" wants to set up my dream truck.

The more I get into fabrication, the more I'll consider building my own for that kind of money. Not that I think you're getting a raw deal, but I'll pay myself to do the work, in a sense, during the off season. I've been wanting to build my own switch and go system ever since I came across them a couple of years ago.

I realize some times you need to farm things out for a number of really good reasons, but I'll avoid it when I can. I'm thinking/hoping at some point, I'll rarely have the time to mess with it.

Do let us know how it goes with them.

Supposed to be 23 yards... forgot to mention the tool boxes.

I'm not so sure what all the excitement is over these switch and go type hooklift trucks is about... I mean, what other body are you gonna put on it? a spray rig? seems to me then you would be without a chip truck while out spraying. Just thinking here is all..

I don't know, spending $39,500 on a monster under CDL chip/wood truck with air brakes doesn't seem all that rediculous to me... especially when I see kids driving around in useless pickups that cost that much. Wanted to do something nice for the business, not throw on some used up asplundh crap. Maybe that's just me..

Man, I had an 18' metal box completely fabbed for my Mack for a few grand.

You coulda bought a decent crane for $40 grand instead of a chip catcher.....ahhh to each his own :msp_unsure:

Last edited:
yeah buddy, but that ole bomber crane I used to have paid for that little jewell.

I hear ya... but doing crane jobs with a one ton kinda blows, if you know what I mean? I never had a chip truck with AC before either, so that'll be cool. The image thing that goes along with running a bad ass rig like that shouldn't be overlooked here either!

I hear ya... but doing crane jobs with a one ton kinda blows, if you know what I mean? I never had a chip truck with AC before either, so that'll be cool. The image thing that goes along with running a bad ass rig like that shouldn't be overlooked here either!

Image is cool but my goal was to only buy stuff that makes money and makes work easier. Even that pick up delivers half cords, pulls my big and small stumper, ;pulls the sprayer, pulls the mini, plows snow and soon will have a removable chip box for a little back up chipper for tight spaces.

Get yourself a cheap crane and you will love yourself for it.

Does that bad boy have a removable top?

ps (edit) you will never want to get outta an ac'ed chip truck and neither will the gm's

Image is cool but my goal was to only buy stuff that makes money and makes work easier. Even that pick up delivers half cords, pulls my big and small stumper, ;pulls the sprayer, pulls the mini, plows snow and soon will have a removable chip box for a little back up chipper for tight spaces.

Get yourself a cheap crane and you will love yourself for it.

Does that bad boy have a removable top?

ps (edit) you will never want to get outta an ac'ed chip truck and neither will the gm's

Not at the crane stage yet.. not sure I wanna be either. hell, it's tough enough getting all the #### I have now around.

Yes on the removable top. Might want a log trailer someday. Body could have been a flatbed too, but I chose to have the sides welded in place, and the body beefed up for wood. Suits what I need most for now.. I hope! lol.

mannnnn,....it's jist fkn pourin here again

I was a magician to pull out a real good week last week but don't know if it can happen 2 wks in a row :bang:

Not at the crane stage yet.. not sure I wanna be either. hell, it's tough enough getting all the #### I have now around.

Yes on the removable top. Might want a log trailer someday. Body could have been a flatbed too, but I chose to have the sides welded in place, and the body beefed up for wood. Suits what I need most for now.. I hope! lol.

Good luck man, and picts.

Good luck man, and picts.

Thanks. I'll get pics... dying for a road trip actually, been trapped here forever it seems!

Had to let the subs I'm using for now do one of their jobs today (everyone's still broke from winter). Same deal here though, threatening rain and showers all week.. pissing me off!

Back