whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knocked out a pin oak over a pool for the local big wig DJ, gonna do a part on me today on the radio. Tipped my guys each a 50! Damn!
The guys were giddy like a little boy on Christmas mourning!
Then, neighbor came over, had a birch hit by lighting, its in the dump trailer now. Good day. Hopefully the radio bit makes me out to be hero!

Ground stumps took out a nasty dead crumbly oak, put a fence back up I took down and now have had tornado's north south east and west of me. ?Trees already on homes gonna be another nasty evening.

Looked at 2 jobs today, 1 was a vine covered linden for an existing client who just bought some commercial property. Have to have the crane come in for this, near the road, wires, and 3 driveways, plus access to the tree is tough because of the vines. The other was 2 tulip trees over a house and deck, with a PITA neighbor... biggest problem, the wood and brush has to go up 80+ stairs to get to the truck.

Otherwise chipped some brush that was left on the trailer from last week's charity job and gave a friend a ride to get his truck and chipper. On the way there though, we noticed the local cheapo hack got a new sign on his truck. Not only does he offer cheap tree work, but now he's selling home furniture and beds as well.

This damn rain, I have a bunch of worked lined up, mostly clearing and back yards with big hills, cant get on any of it until it starts drying up.
I can see the steak, smell the steak, but cant taste it, makes for a grouchy guy :mad:
Yesterday we had rain drops that must have been an inch in diameter, nuts. I have never seen rain like that, even in hurricanes.

Today we pruned some Road side trees which grew from an adjacent property.

Andrew, the guy whos job it was said to me "he's alright this fella, he listens"

Well one look at him told me otherwise....and sure enough just about as I'd touched down from the first tree he was out pointing his finger at this branch and that branch, even though the work had clearly been completed to what was originally agreed.

The same patern continued througout the day, probably he had about 20% extra work done at no extra charge.

Even though we finished on time and after 22years in the game this kind of thing still really f****** annoys me.

Today we pruned some Road side trees which grew from an adjacent property.

Andrew, the guy whos job it was said to me "he's alright this fella, he listens"

Well one look at him told me otherwise....and sure enough just about as I'd touched down from the first tree he was out pointing his finger at this branch and that branch, even though the work had clearly been completed to what was originally agreed.

The same patern continued througout the day, probably he had about 20% extra work done at no extra charge.

Even though we finished on time and after 22years in the game this kind of thing still really f****** annoys me.

I hear ya there... If I even get an inkling that they are like that I will itemize the quote to even include the number of limbs to be removed and price each one. It's a shame but you have to go to extremes like that with some people.

Priced 2 jobs today. The second was for a lady that was given to me by a guy that was a bit too far out of range. She tried her best to make me bend another 100, but I wouldn't have it. On a $1500 tree, (my original price) I was happy to walk with the job to be done at my convenience for $1400.

This damn rain, I have a bunch of worked lined up, mostly clearing and back yards with big hills, cant get on any of it until it starts drying up.
I can see the steak, smell the steak, but cant taste it, makes for a grouchy guy :mad:
Yesterday we had rain drops that must have been an inch in diameter, nuts. I have never seen rain like that, even in hurricanes.

I get what you had about 3 hours later. Almost PMed you the other morn to see if I had a chance. Cant touch anything on the books cuz its too wet, and the ho's are callin' wondern why. Some are worth the plywood, most arent.

Two time's a year we have a crew in Banning,Ca. We go thru the scale's (which alway's raise's your hair's), and get to the job in about a little under 2 hour's.
So, anyway, We got 314 mex. palm's and want to get it done, right?
Figure 3 guy's, 5 day's . Problem is dumping palm. Suck's. Pack it and haul it to Temecula! We get it done. Now in 2011,
I got a call from my GM saying he is being followed. I said "What?", he said the guy has been following him around. This is an HOA, and no traffic. So this guy follow's for a while and then my GM stopped and asked him " Are you following me?".
The guy get's out ( look's like he just got out of 'High School'), and asked to see the registration of the chipper.
Well, it is a brand new Morbark and waiting on the DMV to send it.
OK
Where is your CARB placard?
What?
Sign here.
Oh. K. ?
This chipper will not be operating until a CARB sticker is on it!
So if Beast or Mike or you Caly guy's could feel my Pain, it would be very much appreciated.
Honestly, CA. is hurting so bad,
They FOLLOW YOU!!!!!
Jeff :smile2:

Last edited:
Took down about a dozen white ash today. Lots of wind, many were pushed over with my friend's backhoe, 2 needed ropes set. We chipped the brush from the smaller trees in the front of the house, and the stuff in the back got pushed off the side of a hill. MAYBE 3 yards of chips, and 6 truckloads of wood. End of the day there's a nasty pile of brush on the back side of the hill, owner comes out, "You think you could come back in 2 months to chip the branches?"

Two time's a year we have a crew in Banning,Ca. We go thru the scale's (which alway's raise's your hair's), and get to the job in about a little under 2 hour's.
Figure 3 guy's, 5 day's . Problem is dumping palm. Suck's. Pack it and haul it to Temecula! We get it done. Now in 2011,
I got a call from my GM saying he is being followed. I said "What?", he said the guy has been following him around. This is an HOA, and no traffic. So this guy follow's for a while and then my GM stopped and asked him " Are you following me?".
The guy get's out ( look's like he just got out of 'High School'), and asked to see the registration of the chipper.
OK
What?
Sign here.
Oh. K. ?
So if Beast or Mike or you Caly guy's could feel my Pain, it would be very much appreciated.
They FOLLOW YOU!!!!!

Man, that is crazy. What Dept of...... was he from?
Early on "they", told the Santa ana botanical gardens if they used their old chuck and dive they would be cited. I was kind of hoping to buy it from them cheap. I mean what they going to do follow ya? Oh!
Calif. has seceded in running out a lot of big buisness from our state, now they want to start chasing the small guys out. In the end tree care will have to be so expensive the average HO will have no choice but to hire a hack to do their work. Its going to put the profession back 20 years .
Not everyone can afford to update their power equipment every few years like their proposing.
If it wasn't for the weather and beaches, and ocean Id move back east. I feel ya Jeff. Beastmaster

I get what you had about 3 hours later. Almost PMed you the other morn to see if I had a chance. Cant touch anything on the books cuz its too wet, and the ho's are callin' wondern why. Some are worth the plywood, most arent.

Ill give ya a boots on the ground report! Just give me a call.
We went to one yesterday, to wet, but his drive was clear, so I went up, removed half of the canopy, but couldn't go over center as I was next to the house, boom would have hit, so now, still to wet, pulling off till Sat, send WT up then. I have a few street access I can get on, but other than that, IT NEEDS TO QUIT RAINING~
Sucks

OK
What?
Sign here.
Oh. K. ?
They FOLLOW YOU!!!!!

Good ol Banning, I was up there bidding work for Gothic, on a new development for Pardee, I was looking around and realized I was the only American there! Kinda scary!, everyone was looking at this white guy walking a wheel around!
Following you! Seems like they target those they think can pay the fines.
I was at Hetfex America in Temecula, they wanted me to prune some branches away from the glass, their OSHA guy comes out screaming at me like I am a kid, tells me I do not have on an approved safety restraint systems. I pointed to my saddle, he said "NO, GET DOWN, NOW", I told him that I couldn't,that as he knows, I don't have an approved safety restraint system, that he would need to put his on, get up here with an extra and rescue me. He was so pissed!, my boss called his boss and got it settled, but it was so fun telling him that

Ill give ya a boots on the ground report! Just give me a call.
We went to one yesterday, to wet, but his drive was clear, so I went up, removed half of the canopy, but couldn't go over center as I was next to the house, boom would have hit, so now, still to wet, pulling off till Sat, send WT up then. I have a few street access I can get on, but other than that, IT NEEDS TO QUIT RAINING~
Sucks

Its one thing to get rained on like this, but sux when your stuck in under 50 degree weather with no sun. Need a little more heat and light to dry it up or it stays way too long. I'll bring an extra sheet of ply wood, or an alturnamat to skid on, but people dont wana pay for a mini road, and you know its soaked when a mini is leaven trax b4 you pick any thing up. Gotta nice full yard trim to do. Too bad all the front yard trees are in a lake rite now. 6 inches standing. Wont be doin that one for a while.:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back