whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cant get people to pay for the hour and a half extra moving plywood around. And were not in walla walla, where it never stops raining, altho its starting to feel like it. And in my chip truck, the wipers only work if you flip the knob just right at the point where they stick, otherwise your screwed. And Jims bucket, they dont work at all. Do they have any openings at Davey, where everything is so new that it almost shines?:msp_razz:

Yes, sometimes its hard to tell a client that how much concern you have for his lawn depends on how much he wants to pay... and dam them wipers again. Don't feel to bad, dem new trucks is problems too.

I really need to start taking some pics. Rain has no affect on our schedule, we work five days a week in the pouring rain all winter and into spring. Are you guys that scared of the rain, don't have the work lined up or is it that you have more options then I and only put the saddle on when the sun shines.

My first thought is : I guess its true that Washington has the highest suicide rate.

And I don't mean to be insulting, it may be something I just heard or a bad joke BUT it makes PERFECT ####ING SENSE !
I can rattle off 30 and half very solid concrete reasons why it would be less than profitable for me to head out in the rain. But I don't bid jobs for doing them in the rain, I bid them for getting on the lawn, maybe you guys do, you would probably have to considering the extra cost of doing business inccured by all the water everywhere.
If I were to bid on pruning a big tree when its either soaking wet or raining my price would include all the extra stuff i am gonna have to do to make sure I don't bust my ass slipping around a slippery tree. You couldn't pay me to rope walk.
You should take some pics, rub it in how we all is some pussies. Sometimes I feel like one cause its raining and I don't want to get my feet wet. We are always diving for cover when it rains, I would tell employers I would be sleeping in on those days and we all cried when we got wet.
One time I went for an interview on a rainy day, when I walked in I made a joke; What happens when a tree guy gets wet? They said they didn't know. I said I didn't know either and wasn't looking to find out and they proceeded to tell me they had a crew out in the bucket and it wasn't an emergency. Oh well, I honestly didn't want the job and that was that.
No, I came to terms a long time I ago that I am more of a fairweather climber. I do make an apology but maybe if it was worth my while. Sure, if its an emergency I go running anytime, I used to kayak on rain days especially this time of year. The more rain the better, always like a dam lettin too but of the horror of wrastling a wet tree. Cold too? These days, I keep safe, and my equipment dry while doing other productive business oriented stuff.
Well, look, I've been rambling and I do have to hand it to you, that sounds like some tough #### all the time. Just trying to look up must be a pain. You should tell us more how to combat the rain, you know, inspire us... or at least me.

I really need to start taking some pics. Rain has no affect on our schedule, we work five days a week in the pouring rain all winter and into spring. Are you guys that scared of the rain, don't have the work lined up or is it that you have more options then I and only put the saddle on when the sun shines.

Yeah well; I had to run for my life from what will be proved, if my experience is correct, from an e f 2 to 3 tornado.
It touched down a mile through my woods and ripped up homes in its wake. I saw it and me the wife and dog shagged ass. Powers been out six friggin hours so far prolly be Thursday before its back on. You deal with rain I live in nader central and you cant imagine starring a f3 in the eye coming toward your home son. I will have work now and gonna try to take pics, top that Mr woody:)

Yeah well; I had to run for my life from what will be proved, if my experience is correct, from an e f 2 to 3 tornado.
It touched down a mile through my woods and ripped up homes in its wake. I saw it and me the wife and dog shagged ass. Powers been out six friggin hours so far prolly be Thursday before its back on. You deal with rain I live in nader central and you cant imagine starring a f3 in the eye coming toward your home son. I will have work now and gonna try to take pics, top that Mr woody:)

Oh and jfyi I have climbed in rain,sleet,snow,ice and wind. I don't have to kiss da boss mans azz no more, so; I climb when weather permits:poke::)

Bruda, I was thinking about you! , watching the weather channel, they were doing the whole news alert thing on your area, glad your safe! was watching Jim Cantorie showing google earth on the path it took, alot of damage?
Your phone ringing off the hook?

Sold 13.5 in work yesterday!, I know that's small po-tat-oes to some y'all, but pretty big deal for me, to sell that in one day!

We will work in all weather except down poring rain, just sucks! so those are shop days!

Bruda, I was thinking about you! , watching the weather channel, they were doing the whole news alert thing on your area, glad your safe! was watching Jim Cantorie showing google earth on the path it took, alot of damage?
Your phone ringing off the hook?

Sold 13.5 in work yesterday!, I know that's small po-tat-oes to some y'all, but pretty big deal for me, to sell that in one day!

We will work in all weather except down poring rain, just sucks! so those are shop days!

We stay away from lightning as well!

Reminds me of the twister that spawned in the field a buddy of mine and me were spraying a few years back. It was raining in every direction from us, but we were dry and we were just trying to spray the tank out and get finished up.

Mike said, "Can we make another round?" "Sure!"

We turned back west and get about half way across the field and here is this dandy mesmerizing funnel cloud bearing down on us.

I jabbed Mike and told him to break north. As he did, that mother spooled up right there in the field. I could've thrown a football into that sucker. Then we are blasted with horizontal rain, can't see a thing. He stops to fold up the boom; I'm on the FM trying to give everyone a heads up. He calls his dad and is pretty shook up, kind of froze up on me. (The irony is we used to booze cruise backroads chasing twisters when we were rained out....lesson: careful what you wish for.)

I told him to take me back to the tanker. We get there; I jump out, throw the hose up, can't get in the driver’s side for the wind, climb in the passenger side and fire up. I was down a dirt lane, so I lock in the tandems and head out. It's blowing so hard that the trucks driving slideways all the way to the tarmac and a half mile later it is over.

We get back to the plant and no one believes us. We had an annual company fish fry at the owner's farm that evening so we all left to get ready. I get there and half the farm is literally gone and there's no power of course.

Everybody's drinking beer in the shop and Mike comes out a bit to greet me with his hands up. I climb out and look around and say:

"What twister!?" "Aw, you guys didn't see any twister!" :D

We stay away from lightning as well!

Almost got hit last spring on the ROW, myself. We waited a couple cells out and got back to it. Sun is shining and I'm up and over a 3 phase trimming.

BOOM!

I'm hollering at the help to head for the truck and I'm trying to get down. The homeowner rushes out thinking someone's been killed.

I said, "Not Yet!" And I jumped in the truck.

This little baby cell had spawned and crept up in the amount of time it took to get back after it. I was 3/4 the way done taking what I could out of a monster Ash tree, I never saw it coming.

It is days like this that, the pages of history teach us, are better off spent lying in bed.

I say that figuratively, folks. Fact is, I've worked in it all, but unless it is an emergency, there is a nice long list of reasons not to. There is almost always work to do in the shop, errands to run, and office work to do.

When you're running your own business, or managing someone else's, there is plenty more that goes into this industry than what takes place at the worksite.

Working in a little rain, here and there, is one thing, but all the time is just irresponsible and counterproductive on many levels.

The fellers from Aspy are lounging on my front lawn eating lunch. Their truck is set up and coned right in front of the house.

Nelson has had two trucks in my area clearing lines for a couple months now. They have been parked on a side street all last week and there again today. They also like to park at speedway between 11 am and 1pm. Anytime I drive by they look board to tears. They arent doing a God damn thing cept stayn dry. Not that I blame em with the line clearance. They are saying severe storms tonite w/strong winds and more rain through tomorrow

We canceled a job Sunday because there was a heavy mist that lasted tell Noon. Plus it was only 58 degrees. It a So. Calif. thing.

I passed up a really good job offer up in Wash. (where most my family has relocated)because you guys work on rainy days. Which is almost everyday. I only own t-shirts, and one sweater.

For me, it's actually a little bit of all the things you mentioned there.

I won't work in the rain unless it starts a 3pm and I have an hour left , if its raining in the morning than I will see ya tomorrow , and I actually have the work but I can't stand 11am swamp ass .... So I must be a fool , I guess ....

I won't work in the rain unless it starts a 3pm and I have an hour left , if its raining in the morning than I will see ya tomorrow , and I actually have the work but I can't stand 11am swamp ass .... So I must be a fool , I guess ....

IMO, there is a BIG difference between finishing up in the rain and getting out of the truck in the morning in the rain. BIG difference. I dont like rain. Back in my young care free days (in hind sight) I went by this motto....rain by 7, drunk by 11...:cheers:

IMO, there is a BIG difference between finishing up in the rain and getting out of the truck in the morning in the rain. BIG difference. I dont like rain. Back in my young care free days (in hind sight) I went by this motto....rain by 7, drunk by 11...:cheers:

I don't drink at all anymore but I like your motto , having work for tomorrow is just as important as having work today , I mean who really likes to be slipping around a job site and frankly most HO's don't want all collateral damage from forcing a day , it never looks the same no matter the cleanup there is always some mess ... ruts sawdust in the driveway filthy cars all of that nonsense ...

I don't drink at all anymore but I like your motto , having work for tomorrow is just as important as having work today , I mean who really likes to be slipping around a job site and frankly most HO's don't want all collateral damage from forcing a day , it never looks the same no matter the cleanup there is always some mess ... ruts sawdust in the driveway filthy cars all of that nonsense ...

I dont drink any more either. To much trouble for me. I agree with you about the mess. I just stay in touch with my customers, let people know whats up and the jobs are still there.

Glad your ok rope, you sure are one tough old s.o.b. You kinda make me feel like a wuss. I refuse to climb in tornado's,thunderstorms, flashfloods or tsunamis. Makes me realise climbing in the rain ain't no big deal.

My first thought is : I guess its true that Washington has the highest suicide rate.

And I don't mean to be insulting, it may be something I just heard or a bad joke BUT it makes PERFECT ####ING SENSE !
I can rattle off 30 and half very solid concrete reasons why it would be less than profitable for me to head out in the rain. But I don't bid jobs for doing them in the rain, I bid them for getting on the lawn, maybe you guys do, you would probably have to considering the extra cost of doing business inccured by all the water everywhere.
If I were to bid on pruning a big tree when its either soaking wet or raining my price would include all the extra stuff i am gonna have to do to make sure I don't bust my ass slipping around a slippery tree. You couldn't pay me to rope walk.
You should take some pics, rub it in how we all is some pussies. Sometimes I feel like one cause its raining and I don't want to get my feet wet. We are always diving for cover when it rains, I would tell employers I would be sleeping in on those days and we all cried when we got wet.
One time I went for an interview on a rainy day, when I walked in I made a joke; What happens when a tree guy gets wet? They said they didn't know. I said I didn't know either and wasn't looking to find out and they proceeded to tell me they had a crew out in the bucket and it wasn't an emergency. Oh well, I honestly didn't want the job and that was that.
No, I came to terms a long time I ago that I am more of a fairweather climber. I do make an apology but maybe if it was worth my while. Sure, if its an emergency I go running anytime, I used to kayak on rain days especially this time of year. The more rain the better, always like a dam lettin too but of the horror of wrastling a wet tree. Cold too? These days, I keep safe, and my equipment dry while doing other productive business oriented stuff.
Well, look, I've been rambling and I do have to hand it to you, that sounds like some tough #### all the time. Just trying to look up must be a pain. You should tell us more how to combat the rain, you know, inspire us... or at least me.

Due to the amount of posts my rain comment generated I gotta make one more post. We do mostly pruning work. It can be very subjective to the clients needs clearance, view etc so the owner books it around the clients or property manager being on site. My boss gives a date and time that we will do the work , the client should be on site at some point to ok the work. In the past year we have had at the most 2 call backs. Having to bring back a chip truck and chipper, f350 and four guys is costly so we stick to the schedule rain or shine.
We have had no complaints re. lawn damage, in fact I have never seen one company use plywood either. Yards get a little muddy but look fine after a month or two.
Thinking back growing up in N.H. it seemed to rain alot there as well. Googled annual rain fall by state. Turns out any city past ohio and into new england gets more annaual rain fall on avg. then seattle. I thought I was a tough guy. Turns out either most guys on this site dont have enough work to get them out of bed or are to soft to handle the rain.

Yards get a little muddy but look fine after a month or two.

Even though you alluded to this being your last post on the topic I figured I'd point out that "a month or two" for the yard to rebound would not fly with my clientele or more importantly, with me. On removals I can get away with turfing things up a bit near the base, as any picky client is going to have the stump ground and topsoil work done but messing up a yard on prunes? Um...no. Pruning is supposed to make the landscape look BETTER, an effed up yard does not meet that criteria.

Latest posts

Back