whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't need to prove you are bad azz to us vet, you live in Ohio. Your state makes Somalia look civilised. But seriouslly, ill take a huge tree around primaries any day. The worst ones are the mid sized, like md posted about fourty or fivety feet for me. If they have a lean towards the hot wires you have no room for error when you drop the top.

No no no lol as danger tree expert my last employment before going solo. The worst ones were large and very dead, please remember too that cranes were never used, unheard of! See the problem is in management in these corporations. The position of ticket crew foreman and danger tree expert is really just a title. I worked 13 years for that and near ten at the big o, never once got a crane and asked occasionally. I did the worst trees imaginable while working for these pricks for peanuts!

Last edited:
Drop the top? What kinda childs play you dealin' wit? Try doin a lead that grew between the primaries
Are you serious a lead growing through the primaries, not a chance. I'd walk, call in a make safe on that one. I call bull **** , unless you are talking bucket work then obviously no big deal.

Last edited:
fourty or fivety holden?

come on son.....get yourself together :laugh:
Yeah you heard me old man. Mid size trees are the worst , I don't work cranes or buckets I climb it all. The bigger the trees, the higher the tower, the easier the removal. We get alot of jobs due to lack of cranes or bucket access and those fourty footers right up on primaries are the worst. I grew up in new england, your townships have alot more room to work with buckets and cranes then us city folk. What works for you dosen't float everywhere else.

Yeah you heard me old man. Mid size trees are the worst , I don't work cranes or buckets I climb it all. The bigger the trees, the higher the tower, the easier the removal. We get alot of jobs due to lack of cranes or bucket access and those fourty footers right up on primaries are the worst. I grew up in new england, your townships have alot more room to work with buckets and cranes then us city folk. What works for you dosen't float everywhere else.

I ran a five man climb crew for years the absolute worst stuff you could imagine. The worst are large and very dead then come the viney ones. Short ones are easy you can use the large bull pruner or pole saw and clear it before climbing. I have cleared miles and miles of burning trees. Also overhang is the **** I have pulled thrirty foot over hang over 134 kv in city and out!

I ran a five man climb crew for years the absolute worst stuff you could imagine. The worst are large and very dead then come the viney ones. Short ones are easy you can use the large bull pruner or pole saw and clear it before climbing. I have cleared miles and miles of burning trees. Also overhang is the **** I have pulled thrirty foot over hang over 134 kv in city and out!

This one was fun lol

035.jpg

044.jpg

Doing 4 ash tree's today, back yard, walk out 2 story, so the boys will get a work out today. Took a split ash out yesterday for this hippie chick, wasn't the prettiest, but something about her made her kinda sexy, maybe it was the washing her 3ft pony tail with berries!
About 40, bangin body, but WAY out there! Even the boys thought she was doable!

Doing 4 ash tree's today, back yard, walk out 2 story, so the boys will get a work out today. Took a split ash out yesterday for this hippie chick, wasn't the prettiest, but something about her made her kinda sexy, maybe it was the washing her 3ft pony tail with berries!
About 40, bangin body, but WAY out there! Even the boys thought she was doable!

Yeah, but did she have pit hair that she washes with berries too? That's a deal breaker here..

Not much going on here, I'm ashamed to say. A couple crap sounding estimates today, then off to the DMV to register the IH finally. Blowing out some serious equipment maintenance, while I got the time too. Sucks, but at least I'll be ready to kill if things finally get really rocking..

Yeah, but did she have pit hair that she washes with berries too? That's a deal breaker here..

Not much going on here, I'm ashamed to say. A couple crap sounding estimates today, then off to the DMV to register the IH finally. Blowing out some serious equipment maintenance, while I got the time too. Sucks, but at least I'll be ready to kill if things finally get really rocking..

LOL- NO PIT HAIR!!!
Repairs suck-so preventive maintenance is a must. Just spent a grand in repairs on a couple vehicles. Freaking body shop put tranny fluid in the radiator in my wife's Lincoln, the fill tanks are deceiving, but damn, REALLY! Had to have every thing steam cleaned, inside the engine and coolant system. cost 200!
Now, I need to put new tires on my F-250, had BFG AT KO's
only a year old and they are shot, hello warranty!

Perhaps you can educate some of us who have never worked utility how you would work that tree, assuming you had to climb it. Share the knowledge, son. (I'm older than you).

I'm interested in how you get the overhangs, especially where you don't have a nice high TIP.

Every trick in and not in the book is used to get it safely taken down. I jumped some,roped some and cut and chunked some. Unfortunately when dead as this one was it is a bit of a pucker factor. And your right the highest tie in was not high enough to remove large limbs so i tied in as high as I could slacked rope a little and climbed many of those leads to where the size limb coming out was manageable. Some that were way over the lines were climbed out under cut and jumped some were snap cut and broke off and thrown, the real limiting factor for me was my aging body and 100 degree heat. There is always a way, sometimes it appears impossible and usually is not high paced production type effort. It takes experience,knowledge of staying out of the path of least resistance and at times balls . Having done near a million like it helps but a crane on these would of been sweet.

You spin some around with a tip tie, you slide some off (that won't catch) the primaries and deflect or bounce some off too. you use all the tricks but you have to build up experience to do the real hard ones or you will tear wires down, blow a transformer or likely get killed.

Electrocution kills more climbers than any other accident.

this is in no way giving advice to a green climber to give it a try. This isn't like learning the distal or how to use srt etc.

Been driving past a Mexi-hack the last week. 2 Silvers that I'd have done and gone by noon any day of the week. Ones been hangin' over the street brushed out, trailer in the drive stuffed to the gills for days. (must not have a place to dump). Saw him on a ladder cutting the other one monday. Gotta call from a friend that lives around the corner today. Guy dropped a log took out the primary and everything else. Snapped a pole. Nobody got hurt, that he knew of.

I had the last week off work so been doing chores around the home and land. Just finished the garden plot and pavin landscape and ma 300 watt 12volt micro wind turbine set up and dang its not blowin to well today so canna not see its output grr.
Took some of the kids to Sydney for a day trip twas great all went like clock work, flew in saw all required flew out amazin, so may things could'a should'a gone wrong, but all twas tip top.

Update turbine puttin out 4 to 7+amps

Last edited:
Met with another crane company this morning to look at my problem job... that didn't work out too well. Removed a couple of scrub oaks leftover from a clearing job, and nipped some cedars for a client nextdoor just to keep him happy while we were there. Went to take some low limbs off a white pine for a client, do a pre-climb inspection, back side is all rotted out from an old lightning strike. I took down it's friend about 3 years ago that was DEAD, this one still is full of needles, but I could stick my fist into the rot pockets no problem.

Got my TCIA box yesterday, man, they really hook ya up with the safety info, can finish my binder now. All kinds of good stuff in there!

Jeff- how long is it gonna take ta do all of it?

Last edited:
Drop the top? What kinda childs play you dealin' wit? Try doin a lead that grew between the primaries
Are you serious a lead growing through the primaries, not a chance. I'd walk, call in a make safe on that one. I call bull **** , unless you are talking bucket work then obviously no big deal.

Of course bucket! Slice frisbies if you gotta! Im a bucket b####!!!! That pic Rope put up reminds me of a dedededead Red Oak-er I did over a 3 phase intersection. I wish I had pics of that. It was the kind my folk refer to as a trophy tree. Took a log on a rope on that one, had a piece of bark half the size of my hand fall off and go thru a window on a shed. That was 07. 2 weeks ago Im at a landscapers yard and the shed is sitting there. Asked where it came from. Said, you wanna know how that window got busted..... We know how to have fun.

Back