whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You spin some around with a tip tie, you slide some off (that won't catch) the primaries and deflect or bounce some off too. you use all the tricks but you have to build up experience to do the real hard ones or you will tear wires down, blow a transformer or likely get killed.

Electrocution kills more climbers than any other accident.

this is in no way giving advice to a green climber to give it a try. This isn't like learning the distal or how to use srt etc.

I'm way to old and stiff to do this. I just want to learn what some of the tricks are because I'm curious.

I'm way to old and stiff to do this. I just want to learn what some of the tricks are because I'm curious.

The greatest trick is having a insulated pruner it is a line clearance mans best friend. The rest is where to set tye in to pull the overhang away and then lower clear but sometimes like on the tree in my pic the tree don't provide a good one. Then usually its climb high take out small and throw or rope reasonable size and tag line. Make jump cuts for as much as possible I was able to jump two large limbs the rest was roped or cut and thrown. Its not fun, its work lol. Note i should not have used my flip line but was aware of its proximity to line at all times. I somehow dummed out and forgot my other lanyard! I will not do it again!

040.jpg

Last edited:
big ol fir

on snag dutey had to climb a poison oak infested doug fir tree that has been dead for about 8 years top rotten but got my main 5/8 rope tied then put another 5/8 tag line in it then repelled .we tried out our new rock exotica set of fours out rigged them up to the rope come along then had another rope come along rigged to the tag line to relieve sum pressure on the fours.fired up the 066 had to double cut it with 42 inch bar about we figured it was about 52 inches on the stump.the rigging worked nice but a capstin winch would have been the ticket

I wasn't gonna mention it here but I changed my mind. Friday afternoon I was doing a "cake" job with a Ash removal and a hard maple removal. Maple came down first. Nothing to talk about there. The ash was pretty darn tall and had a three way fork in it that just went up n up n up. i thought i could rope one lead out n then wholesale the other two. No worries about the lawn , but there was a brand new wooden fence. So I rope out one lead but I am starting to realize that flopn other two is a no go. There is another maple that the tips of ash will catch and I am afraid it will ruin things by making cut drop butt first and the fall back on fence. SO...ok..did i mention the ash is dead?? Not dangerous dead but dead none the less. So I gotta go up and rope some smaller pieces. The back lead reminded me of a spiral staircase. It just felt all wierd. So..here goes...I GOT SCARED. There..i said it. I had to force myself to take those last 6 or 7 steps and get to the crotch in order to rope out two pieces on top of that lead. Man...I gotta tell you ...it was wierd. Breath easy through the nose...exhale softly...FOCUS. AND then...I thought about my kids! WTF. I got it done but I had to revert back to climbing based on KNOWLEDGE that I KNOW i am safe and not listen to the voices in my head that were freakn me the hell out. I haven't been that scared in a heck of a long time. I have been worried...I have been extra cautious. But haven't been scared in a long time. My knees didnt start bouncen but I had to be close to it. When I roped out the first of those two top pieces...man...and I heard those dead tips rattle...that top was a swinging...man, I just held on and thought HOLY ****!!! I am just not sure what brought that on. I dont think I am losing my edge...I feel great most of the time. Maybe it was just somthing I needed...like a reality check.

I wasn't gonna mention it here but I changed my mind. Friday afternoon I was doing a "cake" job with a Ash removal and a hard maple removal. Maple came down first. Nothing to talk about there. The ash was pretty darn tall and had a three way fork in it that just went up n up n up. i thought i could rope one lead out n then wholesale the other two. No worries about the lawn , but there was a brand new wooden fence. So I rope out one lead but I am starting to realize that flopn other two is a no go. There is another maple that the tips of ash will catch and I am afraid it will ruin things by making cut drop butt first and the fall back on fence. SO...ok..did i mention the ash is dead?? Not dangerous dead but dead none the less. So I gotta go up and rope some smaller pieces. The back lead reminded me of a spiral staircase. It just felt all wierd. So..here goes...I GOT SCARED. There..i said it. I had to force myself to take those last 6 or 7 steps and get to the crotch in order to rope out two pieces on top of that lead. Man...I gotta tell you ...it was wierd. Breath easy through the nose...exhale softly...FOCUS. AND then...I thought about my kids! WTF. I got it done but I had to revert back to climbing based on KNOWLEDGE that I KNOW i am safe and not listen to the voices in my head that were freakn me the hell out. I haven't been that scared in a heck of a long time. I have been worried...I have been extra cautious. But haven't been scared in a long time. My knees didnt start bouncen but I had to be close to it. When I roped out the first of those two top pieces...man...and I heard those dead tips rattle...that top was a swinging...man, I just held on and thought HOLY ****!!! I am just not sure what brought that on. I dont think I am losing my edge...I feel great most of the time. Maybe it was just somthing I needed...like a reality check.

Thanks for sharing.. none of us are perfect.. good to share the weird or scary stuff as well as the good.

Homeowner attacks tree

Ended up helping to scalp a large Manitoba Maple in the Church's annual cleanup.......and witnessed home owners at work........EEK:msp_ohmy:

The saw a was Poulin Wild Thang Greenie and someone had borrowed a Stihl Power pruner from the School Board....

Boss of the whole exercise three weeks out of the hospital after a major diabetic episode, and is having surgury shortly on his shoulder...so up a ladder he goes with the wild thing.....wearing Crocs, and no helmet, ear protection or chain saw pants. Fall Protection, naw....

I did convince them that dropping a branch that was through some guy wires was not a good idea especially given the 40 mph winds here today.....call EPCOR.

Anyways everyone survived thanks Jesus...I would have brought out my MS 361 and my power blower had someone mentioned the task at hand, and prolly a decent rope and some PPE and fall protection gear.

All this for a glorified weed.

Ended up helping to scalp a large Manitoba Maple in the Church's annual cleanup.......and witnessed home owners at work........EEK:msp_ohmy:

The saw a was Poulin Wild Thang Greenie and someone had borrowed a Stihl Power pruner from the School Board....

Boss of the whole exercise three weeks out of the hospital after a major diabetic episode, and is having surgury shortly on his shoulder...so up a ladder he goes with the wild thing.....wearing Crocs, and no helmet, ear protection or chain saw pants. Fall Protection, naw....

I did convince them that dropping a branch that was through some guy wires was not a good idea especially given the 40 mph winds here today.....call EPCOR.

Anyways everyone survived thanks Jesus...I would have brought out my MS 361 and my power blower had someone mentioned the task at hand, and prolly a decent rope and some PPE and fall protection gear.

All this for a glorified weed.

They don't let the homeowners touch trees at our church (and we have a forest of them - literally - with over 30 acres of land and half of it trees ). I do most of the tree work on property, with help of a few others when needed. Letting homeowners near trees is too much of a liability issue for them to assume -- if an accident then the church is responsible.

This is the only tree to speak of on the property....and it should be removed as there is damage to the base/roots. Ugly looking thing.

Agree with you 100% but I was not about to get into an arguement with a Christian with a chainsaw.:jester:

The greatest trick is having a insulated pruner it is a line clearance mans best friend. The rest is where to set tye in to pull the overhang away and then lower clear but sometimes like on the tree in my pic the tree don't provide a good one. Then usually its climb high take out small and throw or rope reasonable size and tag line. Make jump cuts for as much as possible I was able to jump two large limbs the rest was roped or cut and thrown. Its not fun, its work lol. Note i should not have used my flip line but was aware of its proximity to line at all times. I somehow dummed out and forgot my other lanyard! I will not do it again!

040.jpg

looked like you coulda just snapped that one off with your hand. Musta been an optomological illusion.

Did 4 smaller removals today. Toughest was a mimosa hanging over a house and service lines. Gotta love the zip line.

I need to put a roof on the chip truck because even with a roller tarp I still blow chips all over the street. Takes forever to clean up. I got a pretty good quote on installing a metal roof but it takes a week to install- can't miss a week of work though! I am thinking about making a temporary one out of plywood in the meantime.

I was told a long time ago "when ya get up there and ya feel invincible, you will get hurt, when ya go up and you get scared, listen to your spider sense,and you will make it home"
Nothing wrong with it. One of the last big climbs I did before I got hurt (in BJJ, not trees) I was way out on a leader and this weird feeling came over me, like sumtin was gonna go bad, nothing did, but I could not over come the feeling until I had it down. Have no idea what happened that day, but maybe the feeling you had, made you, make decisions you would not normally make, which is why you made it home, make any sense?
Rep for admitting your human!

Latest posts

Back