whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got pounded with what many said was a twister last night in my little suburban town. Looked at probably 50 trees down. No Missouri but bad none the less. Last job took a large part of a two hundred year old oak out of a garage roof that went through to the floor in parts. Finished at 8 pm.

Got about a dozen jobs pending insurance, knocked out many today and starting a $6500. td tomorrow am. Local country club (maybe 20 huge trees down) the day after and so on. Very profitable weeks coming up and many dangerous trees still standing. Looked at more than a dozen 50 plus inch oaks belly up and quite a few gonna have to climb up and piece down.

Felt like I played the day in way under par in a golf analogy. Made all the right moves and hit all the right shots with the right clubs. Hundred mile an hour day and more to come. Love it. This is right in my wheel house. I want all the fat jobs and the rest can go to someone else.

Sweet! We were hit by the same system, didn't have enough power to knock any thing around. We supposedly had a tornado, even think I might have seen the start, but it fizzled out right away.

Yesterday. we were finishing up, all of a sudden, lighting cracks and we are in the middle of a hurricane! It was hot, so it felt good!
Wake up- more rain! Oh well go do some bids, Come back and creep on AS!

Oh yeah, garden is in and the greanbeans cometh. We doubled the size, will have veggies forever!

Last edited:
Yesterday. we were finishing up, all of a sudden, lighting cracks and we are in the middle of a hurricane! It was hot, so it felt good!
Wake up- more rain! Oh well go do some bids, Come back and creep on AS!

Oh yeah, garden is in and the greanbeans cometh. We doubled the size, will have veggies forever!

We are way behind with the garden this year...

Hey, got a question for you. I see you service Galesburg, IL. Have you ever had to dump a load of chips or firewood in that area? We have some friends with parents up there that need some work done, three walnut removals, and they don't want the chips and I'd rather not haul the load all the way back home. Just wondering if you knew of a place or someone that might want them.

Tried to pm you, but you inbox is full.

Hey, got a question for you. I see you service Galesburg, IL. Have you ever had to dump a load of chips or firewood in that area? We have some friends with parents up there that need some work done, three walnut removals, and they don't want the chips and I'd rather not haul the load all the way back home. Just wondering if you knew of a place or someone that might want them.

PM your number, Scott!
Jeff :msp_biggrin:

The Dan goes on a rampage

The Dingo is not so good at packing a full load onto my truck, it surely can go in over the top, so I was threw this together. The client just happened to give me the ramps, it made things a little smother. They were not secure so it was kinda painful resetting them every time but Dale saw fit to handle that very well.

Just finishing up the last bits of rakings from this reclamation job. There are companies that use big bobcats with those drum grinders, we did very little damage to the trees we did not take out. We still had to get the debris out and chips in.

015-2.jpg

Another shot of my grisley 5 foot york rake. I grab a rakeful of vines and start pulling, this clears the roots for a cutter with a 200 cuts them free from the ground. The clean stuff was chipped, the dirty crap got loaded.

016-2.jpg

Last edited:
We came across a dead ash next to that phonepole.

017.jpg

The chips gave it a soft landing as the Dingo pulled it out gently. No great godlike feats, just simple planning and proper execution. I didn't break the hinge on that and eased it past the guy pole.

019.jpg

Vines grow upwards too, I cleaned out these.

021.jpg

What did it look like before? Look back there, that's where we are going next.

020.jpg

Actually we are just about done for awhile on this job, have others to do then we come back but I digress. What do you think the ratio would be for this compared to the 3 loads of chips, 6 full loads of rakings, 1 1/2 loads of logs?

022.jpg

Its a ####ing jungle out there !

I was going to get out of there today but the client wants me to trim a whopper of a black cherry. It hasn't had work in a very long time if ever. We cleaned out 40 years of vineage, an example of the maintenence that was done. None!

I have to ring the lower branches, ya know, hack off a few big low limbs. I told him it would be around 800 for the whole tree which includes a support system as it is one heckava codom situation. I'll be sure to get pics of this one.

Started off the morning by dropping off a proposal and insurance certificates for a job planned next week. Get a call later on, can't get the deposit until I ammend the proposal by adding a date for the work. First time that's ever happened, I've worked for this guy in the past too.

We went to remove 6 locusts for another client, was supposed to be 3 guys for an easy day, well the 3rd guy didn't show, so 2 of us busted ass till 5, I have a few hours there tomorrow morning still moving wood around.

Was supposed to have safelite come out to the job to fix my cracked windshield, but ran into problems between the insurance company and the glass co, so I'll have to make due for another couple days.

Vines grow upwards too, I cleaned out these.

021.jpg

What did it look like before? Look back there, that's where we are going next.

020.jpg

Actually we are just about done for awhile on this job, have others to do then we come back but I digress. What do you think the ratio would be for this compared to the 3 loads of chips, 6 full loads of rakings, 1 1/2 loads of logs?

022.jpg

Its a ####ing jungle out there !

Was that property located on Vine Street?

Actually, my web service put that I service that area, I suppose for something real big, I would go there, its about an hour away. I do not have a dump spot out there, however, my brothers GF lives there, she is the biggest employer in the town, she will know or know who knows, I will find out for ya, I know that there is a local green waste dump for residents, as my brother uses it. Give me a couple days, my numba is on the front page of my site if you ever need to call.

Took down a 100 foot 38 dbh Quercus alba leaning 45 degees over home. It was split at base from recent tornado on the tension wood side near buttress root! T?hank God I got there!

attachment.php

Got back from NC yesterday at around 1:00. What a hell ride! truck came out sweet though.

Time to play catch up with the phone and get my ass back to work now! :)

Very gay, suits you well. I guess as long as you are happy and doing what you want to do its Ok... I guess.:msp_biggrin:

NC? Did you head there for the dump box?

In the last 10 days we planted 36 acres of corn, 5,400 hard wood trees on 12 acres and 18 seventy-five foot long rows of sweet corn. Cleaned out three construction jobs and mowed 10 acres of barnyards twice. Is it nap time yet?

Actually, my web service put that I service that area, I suppose for something real big, I would go there, its about an hour away. I do not have a dump spot out there, however, my brothers GF lives there, she is the biggest employer in the town, she will know or know who knows, I will find out for ya, I know that there is a local green waste dump for residents, as my brother uses it. Give me a couple days, my numba is on the front page of my site if you ever need to call.

Thanks. I usually wouldn't go that far as it's a couple hours for me, but they are parents of close friends who now live down near Hannibal, Mo. So we'll all get together and make a family weekend get together out of it.

My idea of a paid vacation...lol.

Latest posts

Back