whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not bad at all! Thank you. That seems to be about as good as any 252 gets along anyway. I'll have to consider this for a smaller unit.

Here is some of the stuff it has over the 252

No drive belts less maint.

Doesn't have computer or belts that makes restart very time consuming if you bog in stump

Much faster ground speed....much

Low center of gravity equals no tip over on side hills

Tracks...low ground impact....you can pivot SO easily to move on stump without dropping wheel and pivoting the whole machine or backing up and resetting like 252

Joy stick instead of multiple controls.

GREAT at chasing lateral surface roots.

1200 lbs and only about 6 feet long

fits in 34" gate

15k$ and financeable.

0 turn radius being skid steer

nice sweep span and cutting depth for this size machine

more I am sure but can't remember all

Doesn't have computer or belts that makes restart very time consuming if you bog in stump

Tracks...low ground impact....you can pivot SO easily to move on stump without dropping wheel and pivoting the whole machine or backing up and resetting like 252

fits in 34" gate

15k$ and financeable.

15k?? 15k??? Hmmmm.

I knew about some of the advantages it has on the 252, and noticed some more of what you're saying in the video. I have a toro dealer not too far from me, might have to pay a visit next week.

I made the mistake of renting one of them 252 things once. It seemed like it took 20 mins to gring a 12" white birch stump (that went into ground like telephone pole) down enough so you could maybe put a patch of sod over the damn thing. Pathetic IMO.

Very. I have yet to rent one with good teeth. Last trip I at least had a unit with yellow jackets and they gave me a diamond wheel. I redressed them every night and still thought life could be better.

The best thing this toro has going is that it is NOT A VERMEER...lol. But I'm not bitter or anything.;)

Very. I have yet to rent one with good teeth. Last trip I at least had a unit with yellow jackets and they gave me a diamond wheel. I redressed them every night and still thought life could be better.

The best thing this toro has going is that it is NOT A VERMEER...lol. But I'm not bitter or anything.;)

you got every right to be

This thing looked like it had brand new teeth on it.. even had paint on em still. Some kind of round teeth (I'm not really into stumpers). Still sucked ass.

One of my buddies (kinda) called me the other week all excited about a 252 with 600 hrs. on it that he saw on CL. Thing came with a vermeer trailer and everything, for $4500. He was all "yeah, I could do some stumps for you, bleh, bleh, bleh.." I had to tell him gently that it was just too small to really do much with. I stopped short of saying what I really wanted to say, which would have been "if you think I'm bringing your fat ass and that little toy out to my jobs, with that S-10 towing it (when I can get a STX-60 and a pro cheaper), you got another thing coming buddy"! Lol. He finally saw the light and steered clear anyway. 252 is what people that wanna start a stump grinding business, but really don't have the money to invest in a decent machine, go out and buy (IMO).

My stump guy is usually so available and cheap, that buying a stumper isn't even in the plans for me at this point. Maybe somewhere down the line though.

Gotta get off my ass and sharpen some saws. Blakey is coming in tommorow to wreck out a big assed sugar maple for me. I'm gonna be crackin' the salted whip on the ground. Got a ton of other trees on this job too. Should be a good time... gotta make sure I take it a little bit easier on the brewski's today though.. :mad:

This thing looked like it had brand new teeth on it.. even had paint on em still. Some kind of round teeth (I'm not really into stumpers). Still sucked ass.

One of my buddies (kinda) called me the other week all excited about a 252 with 600 hrs. on it that he saw on CL. Thing came with a vermeer trailer and everything, for $4500. He was all "yeah, I could do some stumps for you, bleh, bleh, bleh.." I had to tell him gently that it was just too small to really do much with. I stopped short of saying what I really wanted to say, which would have been "if you think I'm bringing your fat ass and that little toy out to my jobs, with that S-10 towing it (when I can get a STX-60 and a pro cheaper), you got another thing coming buddy"! Lol. He finally saw the light and steered clear anyway. 252 is what people that wanna start a stump grinding business, but really don't have the money to invest in a decent machine, go out and buy (IMO).

My stump guy is usually so available and cheap, that buying a stumper isn't even in the plans for me at this point. Maybe somewhere down the line though.

I have a rental source for a vermeer 60tx. A few more stumps to add to the list and I'll get it for the weekend. Doubt I ever waste time renting a 252 again.

fits in 34" gate

15k$ and financeable.

It's amazing how far ahead Toro is coming straight into the grinder market with this machine. $15K kills all the rest with the features it has in this size.
Cutter head separate from the motor so you're not starving for oil, it has a huge sweep advantage and overall size/ tracks as you said.
Is there a guard missing on the front of the cutter head or is it open like that?

Here is the first stump we did after they demo'ed it with their machine which was dull.

I will make a better vid with mine which is razor sharp and we got some time with finesse running the machine now. This is a no access stump to tow behind even my 630a on toyota pu.

YouTube - ‪001‬‏

YouTube - ‪002‬‏

better than 252 but no small machine for me we have too much rock and dull little machines dont haul the mail. I kept thinking ok next stump please I grind a stump like that in two minutes:)

better than 252 but no small machine for me we have too much rock and dull little machines dont haul the mail. I kept thinking ok next stump please I grind a stump like that in two minutes:)

can't grind what you can't get to. and with this we almost always have a grinder on the job if you need one in a pinch. Neighbor came over Fri and we got a little addit income. It is like having a big saw in the pickup bed if you need it.

I wouldn't be without a big grinder and just have this tho. But it is poss to start with this and just sub out big stumps too. I subbed for years til I added up how much money I gave to a big fat guy that didn't even work up a sweat making money off me.

Theres been an awful lot of talk about the 252 here lately. I havent run one in years. Its the biggest pos on earth next to that manual swing one they made back in the day. You remember that abortion? It was like a 252 without hydrualics. Now the 352, I kinda dug. ONLY with a diesel tho. And they had many a problem with that one. If I knew where the thread was I'd post a link. Its in heavy equipment some where. I gotta problem. A customer just called. Their out of town up in Dorr (Door?) County Wiscon, there family is using there pool at the house I just trimmed out. Some big limb in an Oak I just trimmed broke and is hanging over the nieghbors house. It always freaks me out when something I just climbed breaks, but the point is, Ive been drinking all day and I really dont feel like climbing. I told em I'd be right over. This kinda thing ruins my weekend/holiday.:angry: arrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggg charlie brown!!!:angry::bang:

It's amazing how far ahead Toro is coming straight into the grinder market with this machine. $15K kills all the rest with the features it has in this size.
Cutter head separate from the motor so you're not starving for oil, it has a huge sweep advantage and overall size/ tracks as you said.
Is there a guard missing on the front of the cutter head or is it open like that?

It just drops a little down and out of the front of the cutter head without guard. Most goes backwards like anyother one.

Theres been an awful lot of talk about the 252 here lately. I havent run one in years. Its the biggest pos on earth next to that manual swing one they made back in the day. You remember that abortion? It was like a 252 without hydrualics. Now the 352, I kinda dug. ONLY with a diesel tho. And they had many a problem with that one. If I knew where the thread was I'd post a link. Its in heavy equipment some where. I gotta problem. A customer just called. Their out of town up in Dorr (Door?) County Wiscon, there family is using there pool at the house I just trimmed out. Some big limb in an Oak I just trimmed broke and is hanging over the nieghbors house. It always freaks me out when something I just climbed breaks, but the point is, Ive been drinking all day and I really dont feel like climbing. I told em I'd be right over. This kinda thing ruins my weekend/holiday.:angry: arrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggg charlie brown!!!:angry::bang:

just jump up there and tie the butt off and bale out and drive off is what I'd do.

just jump up there and tie the butt off and bale out and drive off is what I'd do.

Lol. Pretty good solution! Maybe prentice could rig the whole setup from the ground with a throwline (if he's good at it)... problem with that is he's liable to have people milling about him while he's reeking of booze, if he went that route... best off to keep upwind! :laugh:

Lol. Pretty good solution! Maybe prentice could rig the whole setup from the ground with a throwline (if he's good at it)... problem with that is he's liable to have people milling about him while he's reeking of booze, if he went that route... best off to keep upwind! :laugh:

Thats pretty funny! I was thinking about breathing on whoevers over there to get out of it! Too bad its a repeat custy. Been doing there work since 02. This'll be the 7th time ive worked that yard.

can't grind what you can't get to. and with this we almost always have a grinder on the job if you need one in a pinch. Neighbor came over Fri and we got a little addit income. It is like having a big saw in the pickup bed if you need it.

I wouldn't be without a big grinder and just have this tho. But it is poss to start with this and just sub out big stumps too. I subbed for years til I added up how much money I gave to a big fat guy that didn't even work up a sweat making money off me.

That is backwards here I mean 100 stumps is what makes you money. I would rather sub the small **** on the two stumps per year I cant get to I mean I can put that thing places you would not believe I can especially with the old 4wd. But two stumps out of the year I sub out 50 per pop lol.

Back