2024 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_3400.jpeg
IMG_3401.jpeg

Four pounds of tomatillos and 3 and half pounds of black magic’s and arriba jalapeños. Time to make salsa verde😁

a couple farm pix. Gold in them thar hills!! LOL! Starting to look like the wild west out there which is what it s'posed to look like! Some of the bluestem is shoulder high in places. The rest of the flowers are waist high to me and I am 6'.

Attachments

• 20240616_164442.jpg
    20240616_164442.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240616_163211.jpg
    20240616_163211.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240616_165821.jpg
    20240616_165821.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
We've got Rattlesnakes in our garden!

Rattlesnake pole beans, that is.

These Rattlesnakes are volunteers from last years fall crop. The dried beans fell from the vines and came up this spring. That's a pretty tough bean to be so tender and delicious. They do need stringing to be at their best. Rattlesnakes are very heat tolerant and vigorous. Our favorite pole bean are pole Romano green beans. Completely string-less. Ours are about 4ft tall at the moment.

Rattlesnakes 002.JPG

Part of today's lunch.

Waltham broccoli with Parmesan and Hossinator tomatoes:

Rattlesnakes 001.JPG

anything they call white is usually a light cream color! Nice pepper if you like hot ones which I personally cant stand! LOL!! A lotta guys love them!
The elderberries down the road from our farm are blooming,--- all 5 acres of them!
LOVE the elderberries!
I have one large shrub/tree in the back fencerow I never knew was there until I cleared out all the privet a couple years ago.
The smell from the blooms is absolutely heavenly!!
Do you know if it's possible to transplant the suckers? I tried last year, but they didn't take root.

I see them along the roadside this year - the highway crew didn't spray this year for some reason (I think because of the EPA restrictions on Dicamba this year). They usually burn down everything including elderberry, day lilies, corn flower, queen Ann's lace, daisies, butterfly weed and blackeye Susans, and all assorted trees growing nearby..

The best time for transplanting any woody plant is during a month with an R in it since they are mostly dormant at that time. During the growing season its chancy as to if they will live or not.
I know it sounds silly but I have found it true.
Another thing is to try getting as much of a dirt clump with them as possible and less feeder roots will be broke off.
This 5 acre planting is a commercial project by a farm family. Interesting to watch them harvest and process them. Then they send the juice off somewhere.

The best time for transplanting any woody plant is during a month with an R in it since they are mostly dormant at that time. During the growing season its chancy as to if they will live or not.
I know it sounds silly but I have found it true.
Another thing is to try getting as much of a dirt clump with them as possible and less feeder roots will be broke off.
This 5 acre planting is a commercial project by a farm family. Interesting to watch them harvest and process them. Then they send the juice off somewhere.
Thanks, I'll try that this fall. Doesn't sound silly at all.
I have pretty good luck transplanting just about anything any time, but not those elderberries!

They CLAIM elderberries can be started from cuttings. I never tried it and if you can find seedling plants growing,--- grab them with a big chunk of dirt and go with them! Even in summer there is a good chance the seedlings will grow. Just keep them real wet the first summer and they wont know they been moved. Have done that here and had good luck. Digging old plants usually dont work during the summer!

They CLAIM elderberries can be started from cuttings. I never tried it and if you can find seedling plants growing,--- grab them with a big chunk of dirt and go with them! Even in summer there is a good chance the seedlings will grow. Just keep them real wet the first summer and they wont know they been moved. Have done that here and had good luck. Digging old plants usually dont work during the summer!
Okay. I'll try that too in the fall. 👍
I'm almost finished with my new garden spot I've been working on - it will triple the space I have now.
I'll post some photos in a while. I dug trenches between the beds and piled the soil on the beds, got that finished yesterday. Today, I'm laying fiber in the trenches, then buying some cypress mulch to go on top to walk on. I've got about 12" of worked soil in the beds. 👍

Latest posts

Back