2024 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what you get for thinking.

You were filling the vegetable gardening thread up with your OCD postings about the farmers damaging your trees with chemicals. It needed it's own thread.
This thread is full of references to all kinds of chemicals - posted by multiple members.

I said nothing about joining you in your circus and had no plans to join in.
Yes, that became obvious. Asking for advice on how to protect an existing vegetable garden belongs in the GARDEN forum.
Are you sorry that you started your own thread?
I already have, as you are well aware, a thread about chemical trespass and didn't need another one.
Stupidly, I took your advice to start another. And regretted it as soon as I did.
It was the right thing to do you know.
No, it wasn't. And it was mean of you to suggest I do that while having zero intention of offering suggestions.
You stared your own thread on tadpoles and I joined in there.
I've started more threads on AS than I can count.
You should have heard my frogs after dark in the rain last night!
But, you saw no need to post that in the thread on Tadpoles?
Technically my postings on shiitake aren't about vegetable gardening. The Fifth Kingdom, fungi.
That is correct. You should create a new thread on Mushrooms....
Oh, wait, you don't need to do that I already started one
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/morel.373657/#post-8226461
If you're such a big fan of shrooms, why didn't you post a comment there?
And only one here?
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/what-is-this-fungus.311653/#post-6307054
Report me! lol.
That's your favorite pastime, not mine.

Del_, I am still waiting for pics of the hand digging of Weeds now that I posted a Vegetation control thread.
I'm weed free in our vegetable garden right now, but I'll get your some photos of how to pull weeds by hand next time I pull some.

For you though I suggest you get the strongest and most toxic weed killers you can find for your vegetable bed. Don't worry about the labels, they are just suggestions.

A shovel might give you blisters.
Get the picture?

You can bake it like acorn,----- might taste awful! --- OR no taste at all. Course acorn has no taste that I can tell.
Bake or cook one and dig out the insides onto a plate then add your salt/pepper/butter/tomato sauce or whatever you like and see what you have.
I am thinking this year nothing is going to have any flavor. Our sweetcorn is tasteless this year! Cabbage and onions were decent,--onions are kinda hard textured but useable.
Broc and cauliflower were destroyed by bugs this year and nothing stopped them.
Squash ,pumpkin, cucumber , tomato plants still continue to die here. Just not a good garden year!

You can bake it like acorn,----- might taste awful! --- OR no taste at all. Course acorn has no taste that I can tell.
Bake or cook one and dig out the insides onto a plate then add your salt/pepper/butter/tomato sauce or whatever you like and see what you have.
I am thinking this year nothing is going to have any flavor. Our sweetcorn is tasteless this year! Cabbage and onions were decent,--onions are kinda hard textured but useable.
Broc and cauliflower were destroyed by bugs this year and nothing stopped them.
Squash ,pumpkin, cucumber , tomato plants still continue to die here. Just not a good garden year!
Sorry you're having bad luck with your garden this year.:(

I made another squash/zucchini casserole and put that spaghetti squash in the oven too.
I cut it in half, removed the seeds and pulp, added a little garlic, grated cheese, and a dab of butter.
We'll see what happens.:p I sure didn't want to waste it.

DSC00355.JPG

Looks like my garden this year is done. Dang deer got into my pot potatoes again and I doubt they have time to recover. While the deer where eating the tater vines, they also decided to snack on the squash, pulled it out of the ground, then they decided to walk into my little greenhouse frame. We had the green house covered with netting and it had done a good job of keeping the deer at bay until now. Ate my tomatoe plants that where almost 6ft high and covered with green maters. Planning a trip to the shooting range sometime next week. I was going to wait until some cooler weather, but the best time to eliminate pest are when they are active. Durn deer are getting to brave. I pulled into my drive and parked my truck. Big foe stood beside my parking spot not 20ft away, didnt seem one bit skittish even when I got out of the truck and slamed the door. Kind of stood there with a what do you want look on its face. It never did run off, just moseyed across the drive and took its sweet time doing it.

My porch corn is now putting on ears and the beans are starting to appear. I got beans hanging at the top of the corn stalks about 12ft high. At least I can stand on the porch when it comes time to pick.

Looks like my garden this year is done. Dang deer got into my pot potatoes again and I doubt they have time to recover. While the deer where eating the tater vines, they also decided to snack on the squash, pulled it out of the ground, then they decided to walk into my little greenhouse frame. We had the green house covered with netting and it had done a good job of keeping the deer at bay until now. Ate my tomatoe plants that where almost 6ft high and covered with green maters. Planning a trip to the shooting range sometime next week. I was going to wait until some cooler weather, but the best time to eliminate pest are when they are active. Durn deer are getting to brave. I pulled into my drive and parked my truck. Big foe stood beside my parking spot not 20ft away, didnt seem one bit skittish even when I got out of the truck and slamed the door. Kind of stood there with a what do you want look on its face. It never did run off, just moseyed across the drive and took its sweet time doing it.

My porch corn is now putting on ears and the beans are starting to appear. I got beans hanging at the top of the corn stalks about 12ft high. At least I can stand on the porch when it comes time to pick.

I've probably lost $2,000 worth of sweet corn to the deer so far this year. Not sure how the Indian corn patch will be. Fortunately they haven't touched anything else.

OMGosh.
I don't blame you for taking action if they are tearing up you property.
That's no good.

I've probably lost $2,000 worth of sweet corn to the deer so far this year. Not sure how the Indian corn patch will be. Fortunately they haven't touched anything else.
They nipped a couple of my cauliflower, mowed my broccoli down to the stump, but left everything else alone this year at my place. Guess I shouldn't complain.

At what stage of growth is the corn when it's damaged? I've had deer ear pumpkin vines, sweet potatoes, okra, bush beans, pole bean tomatoes and peppers and more over the years.

I take shots at them and they have been keeping their distance the last few years, which is something I hate having to do, but I do anyway. Buzzards gotta eat, too.

On the squash, --- you have to try different seasonings to see which you like best. A lot of people put cheese on stuff but I cant stand cheese so I go tomatoes on the few that I eat. Dont care for them that much.
Deer here are like an epidemic and govt. wont allow them to be killed!
They kill people on the road but thats o.k. according to the govt!
This year they been crazier than normal for some reason.

Had to stop tree cuttin and pull weeds for a couple days and spray the fence row again.---- roundup and 2-4-d not cuttin it so gotta figure out something different here for next year so one spraying will last all season. Dont have time to work on the lawn mowers so yard got out of hand.

On the squash, --- you have to try different seasonings to see which you like best. A lot of people put cheese on stuff but I cant stand cheese so I go tomatoes on the few that I eat. Dont care for them that much.

Sounds like us. We don't care for spaghetti squash and haven't grown them for years. Ditto for zucchini squash.

Our favorite squash is Early Prolific Straight Neck pan fried with avocado oil, sometimes with fresh onions stirred in.

We eat almost all of our homegrown vegetables à la carte or mixed with other fresh vegetables from the garden. We aren't much for recipes where the homegrown vegetables become minor ingredients.

May, june and the first 2 weeks of july brought less than 3 inches of rain total, in the last 2 weeks we have been getting every day rain. One day in particular we received 3 inches of rain in just over a hour with every day averaging half a inch. I went from mowing our lawn every 2-3 weeks to mowing every 3-4 days.
I'm still picking and replanting peas- zipper creams, california black eyed and ozark razor backs
The biggest surprise this year has been a new to me thi green bean, It was described as a bush bean...well it was a bush the first 60 days then went full kudzu. The rest of the garden was done for the summer but these beans started vining and kept producing beans. I gave away 50+ pounds of them in the last month...even gave a couple grocery bags of them to the auto parts store! I dried and saved 1/4 of a quart of seeds for next year.
I planted silver queen corn after pulling the red potatoes and the first planted corn is days away from harvest, I planted three small rectangular patches staggered one week apart to provide fresh corn for over a month vs everything all at once.
Cucumbers were a flop, got 4 total after bugs and nature destroyed them. Planted a dozen different watermelon plants and ended up getting one so far that was super tasty...learning when to pick them is apparently a critical skill or you get 10 pound cucumbers LOL
Around here you start squash in winter then plant squash as soon as danger of frost is gone because the vine borers destroy everything by june, I managed to grow 100 pounds to give out before having to yankem out.

At what stage of growth is the corn when it's damaged? I've had deer ear pumpkin vines, sweet potatoes, okra, bush beans, pole bean tomatoes and peppers and more over the years.

I takes shots at them and they have been keeping their distance the last few years, which is something I hate having to do, but I do anyway. Buzzards gotta eat, too.
Mostly start hitting it just before tasseling. I can go out all hours of the night but rarely see them. If I do the buzzard will be eating well.
Edit. Between hunting season last fall and the road now there were 45 deer removed within a mile of me. My buddy a 1/2 mile has had a herd of 15-20 eating his soybeans.

Sounds like us. We don't care for spaghetti squash and haven't grown them for years. Ditto for zucchini squash.

Our favorite squash is Early Prolific Straight Neck pan fried with avocado oil, sometimes with fresh onions stirred in.

We eat almost all of our homegrown vegetables à la carte or mixed with other fresh vegetables from the garden. We aren't much for recipes where the homegrown vegetables become minor ingredients.
My favorite as of last year is Zucchetta. Necks eaten fresh or fried like Patti Pan and the bulb end cooked like Acorn squash. Late planting this year so I don't have any yet.

My indian corn will be fine. Its inside a fence protected by 3 schnauzers and its tied off to the porch railings to keep it from being blown over. I am now expecting a good crop for seed. Aint enough of it for eating, a;tho I may try popping some.

Back