2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know both the feeling of loosing sleep, due to a saw issue, and also having a craving to light one off, even after dark. A couple drink's help :laugh: It is a breath of fresh air though coming back to big saw thread's. I love em. Some don't realize or appreciate there place. O r lack the experience, but for us who run the big gun's when needed, we understand that you can't replace torque, and displacement, with smaller saw's.

My 281XP was advertized as a 288XP but unfortunately not.I got it for $125 and it had a new 28" Oregon Pro bar on it.It has bags of compression and takes a good pull to start.It weighs just a little more than the 372 but has more grunt and I feel it runs nicer with the Tillotson carb.I may throw a 288 piston and cylinder on it some day ,if it comes cheap.
The 394 I have is a monster.It belonged to a mechanic who worked at Walker's when he built it.It was in mint condition and is ported for only $700.I used it for a day milling and feel it has was more power than the 2101.The big downside is that it doesn't pump as much bar oil.Once I rig up the aux oiler that won't be a problem.

That's a 36" Cannon bar that came with the 2101.It has the old style Oregon tip but I was able to get a couple on my last trip to Victoria along with the air filter cover on the 2101.I bought a 42" Oregon Pro bar but it is soft as a wet noodle compared to the Cannon.
The 281 looks rough but inside it is all good.The 2100 now has a 285 piston and cylinder in it (for now) .The 185CD is waiting for a new case as old one is cracked.I will try to use right side of the 2101 case for it.

i got a 288 also. it has a bad spot in the sparkplug wire so if i mess with it it runs like a scalded dog.hate the way its part of the coil i may try to fix the wire or i may just find a new coil for it but it is one hell-of-a-saw too. best part is the guy i got the 288 from gave me the 2100 said it was just a parts peice but i could have it for free. i had the 2100 running for under $5 . the 288 cut alot of wood forme till i got the 2100 going then i fell in love with it.

Last edited:
probly would be for me too but after working long days at work then side jobing till dark most nights after for the past few weeks im ready to fall over.next rain will be on it though.and that looks like tomorow evening.

Me too on the backup's, but I take it personal. Not only would one of my favorite possesion's be down, but I would wanna know what the ####, was wrong with it?

Back when I killed for a living, there were many saws that weren't being used. A phone call or a visit could get me anything I needed. I had depots so to speak.

I hear ya, and if when we ever have a GTG. I hope you are there, and we can have a conversation. I mean as it is your'e talking my ear off LOL! I do hope you are there, and wanna check out the 1100, and figure you will have more husky muscle by that time.:rock::laugh:

I have talked about my love for the 2101, and 288. What is your'e favorite muscle saw husky or otherwise? I know ther is more out there, and more fans:rock:

Latest posts

Back