2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Felling Dogs?

Andrewmoizer, what are you looking for?
Sorry, I guess "teeth" was a bit vague :blush: .Bailey's calls them "Felling Dogs". On ebay I've seen 2100 "Bucking Spikes". Not sure what the "official" name should be. Something like this
21zWupSrtyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It was this picture that inspired me to ask on this topic.
189164-s5003340-jpg

cheers,
Andrew

Sorry, I am not one of those guy's that trie's to get technical. I just wasin't sure what you were after. I have seen them on ebay, but think they want 20 buck's a piece. Been awhile since I looke'd in a bailey's, catalog for spike's. Hey I understand, that picture could inspire anyone. :msp_thumbup::rock::bowdown:

I figure'd it was fairly early, just didn't know the year or saw. A good feature for sure. My friend has a 272, and said over, and over he wished he had a comp release. I guess it is a nice feature, looked at him funny at first. Definately compression on that dude. To me on the smaller saw's I don't alway's use them. My 2101, and 660 have more than a handfull of comp. The 660 has one, so I use it. The 288xp has a fair share too. Funny how alot of early model's had em. And some newer one's didn't. The elasto start was a good feature for stihl. If you compare my 044 to my buddie's 272, close in the era. Comp is close, but the 44 is really forging with the elastostart, compared to the hard plastic pull. On the big saw's I usually get it just past the hard compression spot, and drop start them, it work's pretty good for me.

Been trying to get a few new pic's to upload. Oh well here is one. I never get tired of this saw. It is my 2101, I love the feel, the sound, and the power. Built to last built to be one of the all time best!:bowdown::rock::biggrinbounce2:

Been trying to get a few new pic's to upload. Oh well here is one. I never get tired of this saw. It is my 2101, I love the feel, the sound, and the power. Built to last built to be one of the all time best!:bowdown::rock::biggrinbounce2:

You've got good taste, Norm.
Gotta love the sound of it on a Saturday morning!

2101 xp

I like the bars, Norm. The saw came with 2 of them. The little saw on the right is actually a 374xp and it doesn't sound nearly as good. I like the feel of the 2101 when its running fast through a big log.

Got an email out of the blue last night. Said I had a message on facebook which I hadn't been on in awhile. It said I like Stihl's myself Huskie's are tempermentle. I thought Huh? Forgot I had my saw pic's on there. It was a friend of a friend. My reply was you need to run my 2101 then. His response was oh yeah heard of those. I know what they are, great saw ton's of power. Hey if that saw even humble's a Stihl man, you know they did something right:rock:

I would rather re-read my own post's about muscle saw's than ported wild thing's or 20 in saw's that will keep up with a 044, or 372, and 70 cc saw's that will cut like a 660 LOL!:laugh:

Yeah, the plastic mini motor talk is tiresome and easy to avoid. It does look like the trend is toward the PMM saws, expect more and more of it. I don't care really, as long as they stay on their side of the 80cc fence.

Sounds like a buddy of mine who stopped buying gun magazines due to the fact that all it seemed they could show were AR's. He was old school and liked blued steel and wood, not aluminum and plastic. I guess I walk both sides of the fence. I'm not fond of computers or electronics but here I am anyway.

Sounds like a buddy of mine who stopped buying gun magazines due to the fact that all it seemed they could show were AR's. He was old school and liked blued steel and wood, not aluminum and plastic. I guess I walk both sides of the fence. I'm not fond of computers or electronics but here I am anyway.

Yep. My feelings are the same for saws, trucks, and firearms. They can keep their on-board computers, plastic screamers, and mouse guns. I have to work on/with the 'modern' stuff on the job (and the commuter pickup and the family car are modern), but the Old Steel, Iron, Magnesium, and Wood is what keeps my interest during my 'fun time'. I don't need no teenage queen.....

I just want my M-14!
:cheers:

Last edited:
Amen! ust seem's like alot of newbie's, nothing wrong with a ;ittle saw they all got there use, but man what are thes kid's cutting branche's LOL! I like all the talk, and saw's, the bigger stuff is my favorite, just alot of toy talk lately.

Speaking of muscle saw's Aaron, I am licking my chop's on trying out that 750. Hopefully We can get it back to life LOL!:clap::tongue2:

Speaking of muscle saw's Aaron, I am licking my chop's on trying out that 750. Hopefully We can get it back to life LOL!:clap::tongue2:

I'll be digging into that 750 tomorrow in the AM. Doing the 'family birthday' thing now..........so sneaking off to work on saws is verboten. I tried!:jester:

First thing I'm going to do is pull the lower brackets and muffler off so I can take a peak at the piston and cylinder. Compression 'feels' good, so I hope all is well. If it checks out OK, then a good cleaning and a 'prime test' (to see if it'll pop..........the ignitions on these saws can be problematic) will be next. If it pops, then I'll pull the carb and clean it out. Will order a carb kit if needed. I've also located an NOS intake boot (from a couple of sources) and will replace it if needed too. A memeber here already sent me a used/useable AF cover nut for it.
:cheers:

Nice! Not rushing you eithrt little buddy. In due time, just saying Im licking my chop's, never ran that bastard myself!:blob2: Good deal who's B-day? We will have to get together soon man.

Latest posts

Back