50:1 v 32:1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
32:1 causing scoring is 100% bs!!!!! 40-1 is fine and with good oil you ll have no probs. 32- 1 does make the best ring seal, most good two stroke mechanics will agree . By good mechanics I dont mean all the guys who think they are but the ones that really are!! Run 32-1 and your saw will be well protected and have the most power , And a bunch of people are gonna say less oil like 50-1 or 100-1 amsoil makes more power because there is more gas and not oil , that's a bunch of bs also. Oil does burn , and to get max power you need ring seal. I'm not going to argue I have stated the facts either believe or dont I dont really give a ####!
And yes your saw should be tuned with what ever mix you run, that should not need to be said but always comes up.

You forget to take your meds today?

Stay away from ethonol in fuel.

Agreed!! Fortunately we have 3 grades of fuel.. lowest octane is up to 10% ethanol, next level of octane is up to 5% and highest octane (97) is zero ethanol. Now they do have nitrogen enrichment in the highest octane levels, have not seen any issues with that on any of our equipment, but have not heard of any benefits yet either (other than on automobiles - valve cleaning, etc).

Oh I can take it just fine,we were all having a discussion and you came in all upset about 32:1. so having a bad day are we?

No I'm not upset in the slightest. I stated facts 32:1 is the best ratio for ring seal. I also think 40:1 is fine for a saw. I think 50:1 is ok to with good oil if thats what you choose to run. I think anything over 50:1 is ridiculous.
I also stated you can run what you want but tune your saw to that mix.
I run 36:1 personally with klotz oil and I like it

No I'm not upset in the slightest. I stated facts 32:1 is the best ratio for ring seal. I also think 40:1 is fine for a saw. I think 50:1 is ok to with good oil if thats what you choose to run. I think anything over 50:1 is ridiculous.
I also stated you can run what you want but tune your saw to that mix.
I run 36:1 personally with klotz oil and I like it

That right there was an excellent post,your first one did not need all the swearing to make your point.I agree with you except I prefer 50:1 but nothing wrong with the other ratios.

cooling in a two stroke chainsaw is done with air and oil , less friction means less heat , the idea more fuel and less oil make for a cooler running saw is BS!

I thought that the incoming charge of fuel/oil had to some degree a cooling effect.

No one thing in the oil/fuel/air mix only does one thing. That is to say oil is not there just for lube and fuel is not there just to go bang.

That right there was an excellent post,your first one did not need all the swearing to make your point.I agree with you except I prefer 50:1 but nothing wrong with the other ratios.

Not according to your first post (post #9 in this thread) you said that more oil = less gas, which is true IF YOU DO NOT RE TUNE IT! Then you gave an extreme example of running a saw completely on oil, which doesnt have much to do with fact.

Not according to your first post (post #9 in this thread) you said that more oil = less gas, which is true IF YOU DO NOT RE TUNE IT! Then you gave an extreme example of running a saw completely on oil, which doesnt have much to do with fact.

I was offering food for thought, I never said anything was wrong with 32:1.
just like this: If more oil is good why not run our saws on straight oil?

Is that not what we are discussing how much oil is enough? how much is too much? sounds like it has everything to do with the topic.

Last edited:

YOU are correct 2100! But I still shouldnt have gotten so excited! My mouth is my downfall sometimes, it works before my calm and collected gentleman side kicks in! LOL

Last edited:

Is that not what we are discussing how much oil is enough? how much is too much? sounds like it has everything to do with the topic.

Now I could be wrong here so somebody straighten me out. Wasn't there a two stroke diesel engine? Diesel is oil right? At least they call it diesel oil sooooo... there are some run on straight oil but now try a two stroke on straight gas!!!!

just like this: If less oil is good why not run our saws on straight gas?

As it is impossible to detect tone or infliction of ones writtings in a post,one can only go by the words chosen and the structure of the sentences.

Kevlar said "I am a 50:1 believer.first off stihl and husky started running 50:1 before epa mandates so they did their homework. Second, a saw running 32:1 has lots of oil but less fuel to cool it-If more oil is better why don't we all run our saws at 10:1 or on straight oil for that matter!"

You start by saying that your a believer in 50-1, nothing wrong with that, but, by stating you are a believer it may lead some to assume you are also a disbelieve of some things. You make the point that 50-1 has nothing to do with epa, as alot will use the epa excuse to back their claims of more oil being better. Fine. But remember those companies have a whole lot more going on than what we WANT them to do for us. You then use the example that 32-1 has less fuel? why, because you havent re tuned it to suit the new ratio....so on that misconception you then lead to if more oil is better why dont we all run 10 -1 or staright oil. Well like i said, karters are running down to 16-1 which is alot closer to 10-1 than 50-1.......and im sure you know that the fuel isn't just doing one thing, nore is the oil so to ask the question why not run on straight oil is a little silly.

your last response to me was IMO much better and definitly add food for thought, where as your first post shot that thought down. I guess being a public forum, it is how others take it.

I ran all my saws on Walmart outboard 2 stroke oil and never had a problem and still don't have any problems with them. Now I use Amsoil Saber at 80:1 and all saws are modded, no issues with that either.

I started the Amsoil after a landscaper in St. Louis said he has a crappy Poulan that he has used professionally for 13 years without any rebuild and this saw is used on every job. I figured if Amsoil at 100:1 can keep a Poulan from blowing up, a Stihl will last over a lifetime, LOL.

Sam

Now I could be wrong here so somebody straighten me out. Wasn't there a two stroke diesel engine? Diesel is oil right? At least they call it diesel oil sooooo... there are some run on straight oil but now try a two stroke on straight gas!!!!

They were puke green engines made by GM called Detriot Diesel. They were 2 stroke but not like the saw engines. They had open ports half way down the cylinder for the intake and 4 valves for the exhaust. The bottom end was just like a 4 stroke with oil sump and pressurized lubrication.They leaked oil and made smoke. The EPA hated them and got them gone. :)

Yep, alot of 2 stoke diesels out there, and some BIG mothers at that, normally super charged and turbo charged as well.

Diesel is different from 2 stoke oil. Some guys are adding 2 stoke oil to their diesel to aid the injector pumps etc. And then you here the claim of filling a fuel tank with old engine oil to get them home......not something id do in a modern diesel that delivers fuel at 20,000psi!

I wont be running my saws on straight gas or straight oil.......only straight mix :greenchainsaw:

They were puke green engines made by GM called Detriot Diesel. They were 2 stroke but not like the saw engines. They had open ports half way down the cylinder for the intake and 4 valves for the exhaust. The bottom end was just like a 4 stroke with oil sump and pressurized lubrication.They leaked oil and made smoke. The EPA hated them and got them gone. :)

They sounded good with a staight pipe and jake brakes would really rattle!
They were not a good long haul engine though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back