Best 2 Stroke Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a UK site I posted up, for whatever reason I can't seem to get on the cananda site, keeps redirecting to the usa site.

Me either, just posting what they had listed in the link. Either way, I won't/don't run it. The stuff we get is garbage and it's nit worth the cost getting it from another country. Plenty of good oils on the list we can get here.
That site you linked was South African. I believe the info is BS.

Stihl approaches a vendor and says we need you to package an oil for our equipment. The company does so. There are no specs Stihl gives them, the formula will vary with companies and then standard Stihl want the oil to meet.
That is not true. Standards or specs, same thing. Stihl wants oil to meet something for their equipment and Omni makes it according to what Stihl engineers say. What that is I have no idea but I bet Stihl wants it exactly right as they are big enough to demand it. I ran freight into Stihl in Virginia Beach several years and talked to a number of people there. Stihl is very demanding of their vendors and don't screw around. Stihl is worldwide not a small mom and pop with their own design house. They are very specific in the oil package and performance

That is not true. Standards or specs, same thing. Stihl wants oil to meet something for their equipment and Omni makes it according to what Stihl engineers say. What that is I have no idea but I bet Stihl wants it exactly right as they are big enough to demand it. I ran freight into Stihl in Virginia Beach several years and talked to a number of people there. Stihl is very demanding of their vendors and don't screw around. Stihl is worldwide not a small mom and pop with their own design house. They are very specific in the oil package and performance
Not really, like all engine mfg they say they want an oil to do xy and z requirements, goes out for bid. Usually some in house and or third party testing is done, and whomever has oil that meets the minimum requirements and is the cheapest gets the contract. It's actually quite telling that stihl will not go through the JASO testing with the ultra.

Not really, like all engine mfg they say they want an oil to do xy and z requirements, goes out for bid. Usually some in house and or third party testing is done, and whomever has oil that meets the minimum requirements and is the cheapest gets the contract. It's actually quite telling that stihl will not go through the JASO testing with the ultra.
I'm just relaying what actual Stihl design engineers told me. True or not, idk

I'm just relaying what actual Stihl design engineers told me. True or not, idk
They (stihl engeneers) don't design oil, they spec requirements for oil. The oil mfg determine what properties the oil needs to meet the requirements. Specifically the ultra was designed for the 4mix engine to keep the valves from getting carbon deposits. It does a pizz pore job at that and ever worse in a traditional 2 stroke engine. Stihl isn't the only engine mfg to do so, it's pretty much standard sop for all engine mfg. The unfortunate thing about 2 stroke oil, is there's no enforcement for minimum standards, so as long as the oil "works well enough" to get past any potential warranty issues, passes any testing (in which engines and the oil are subjected to rapid wear tests, not always real world testing.) You can get a meh oil that meets the requirements of an engine mfg.

They (stihl engeneers) don't design oil, they spec requirements for oil. The oil mfg determine what properties the oil needs to meet the requirements. Specifically the ultra was designed for the 4mix engine to keep the valves from getting carbon deposits. It does a pizz pore job at that and ever worse in a traditional 2 stroke engine. Stihl isn't the only engine mfg to do so, it's pretty much standard sop for all engine mfg. The unfortunate thing about 2 stroke oil, is there's no enforcement for minimum standards, so as long as the oil "works well enough" to get past any potential warranty issues, passes any testing (in which engines and the oil are subjected to rapid wear tests, not always real world testing.) You can get a meh oil that meets the requirements of an engine mfg.
Yes, they design the specs for the oil and let the petroleum engineers ( or whatever they are called) meet them.
Are you arguing semantics because you have nothing better to do? This is silly

What engine is in your para?
It's a 190cc 2-stroke. The company that sells them isn't too open about who manufactures them. Not long after I bought it (2019), they switched engine suppliers, so that's not very comforting.

They call it a Talon 190.

Attachments

• downsize.jpeg
    downsize.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 0
We all have our preferred ratios 👍 for light loads it seems to get by at 80-100:1, but it’s just too dry in the bottom end for me. Long term, I think a bit extra oil is beneficial. Edit: I’ve always wanted to try paramotoring, but there is too much red tape out here.
That sucks. I've always heard from our brethren overseas that we have it pretty good here.

Part 103 dictates that we can't fly over populated areas (gray area there), at night, with passengers, with over 5 gallons of gasoline / petrol, and the unit can't weigh over 253 lbs. or so. That's it! No training mandatory. And we have to stay out of Class D and down airports for obvious reasons. Technically you CAN fly at a Class D, but only by prearranged permission, and you'd need a radio and be in contact with the tower.

Biggest rule is we need a flashing beacon / strobe if flying a half hour prior to sunset. That is, until someone does something stupid and it gets regulated to death, like everything else lately.

I've never seen a Stihl oil on the FD list.
All the Stihl oil I have ever used which were any good were either FB or FC back in the day . I still have a few quarts of Stihl Premium by Castrol , that I recieved free from my Son at the City Board of Works . They use it within their Trimmers , Saws & Blowers . I cannot stand the smell of either , Ultra or HP .

Sean and North by Northwest - yep clear bottles, identical to the ones Simon showed. My local shop doesn’t sell Super though, just HP and HP Ultra.
View attachment 1195061
That's what I suspected , marketing changes from Country to Country . Yeah the Super might be something Stihl is marketing up North here who knows lol. Not a big Stihl oil fan lol.

Yes, they design the specs for the oil and let the petroleum engineers ( or whatever they are called) meet them.
Are you arguing semantics because you have nothing better to do? This is silly
The engine mfg don't design anything oil related, it's not semantics, it two separate fields of study. They basically want something to lubricate, cool, and seal, with whatever other attributes the engine requires to keep running. The chemical formula is by and far up to the oil company/blenders.

You can’t out tune a lack of load or a limited ignition coil. If the hedge trimmer hits the ignition limiter constantly because you’ve leaned it out, I don’t care what you do with the screws, it’s making spooge Edit: hedge trimmers are the worst. Line trimmers and blowers aren’t so bad as they see more load, but still don’t burn as clean as a saw, just like lonewolf said. They’ll burn better if you lean them out. However when you get into a lot of thick grass they should be retuned to suite the extra load like you would changing bar lengths.
Sometimes less than quality fuel will impact your tune . I have had numerous trimmers have problems maintaining a proper tune when ethanol fuel was involved , lots of sponge , even with proper oil ratio's . I always ensure a new plug , air filter & full fuel load in the tank prior to initiating tuning with a saw or trimmer . However trimmers seem much more sensitive to ambient temp , barometric pressure swings etc . lol.

Just curious but did you ask Stihl or is it on the bottles in Canada? I'm also surprised Stihl would spec oil differently for Canada. As for global distribution maybe it's cheaper to produce as close to the market as possible or Omni/Castrol don't have the capacity to supply it on a global level.
Now that's a good question , with the current shipping costs , I bet close to home is preferred for each market .

Bro, calm down. I'm in the US so I asked for info here. No idea about Canada, Mexico or elsewhere so if you are saying something about those countries then ok by me. I have no knowledge on that.

I'm on the border of Quebec and often go up there to buy stuff. Stihl specs oil for different countries and manufacturers and uses different colored bottles to differentiate them seems a good idea. I'm wondering why for Canada, though. I thought emissions were pretty much the same up there so the oil formula would also be the same.
Yeah all calm here , just clarifying & correcting your assumption info from your #704 post that all Ultra oil originated from Down South . I thought you would have heeded the previous correct information we all offered lol . All good !

Now that's a good question , with the current shipping costs , I bet close to home is preferred for each market .
You know as well as anyone what it costs. I wouldn't be surprised at all if you forgot to declare a 30 pack of Miller here and there on your way home from deer camp.

That site you linked was South African. I believe the info is BS.

There is a lot of incorrect and contradictory information on Stihl's websites.
This one is probably one of them.

HP Super, on the other hand, is rated as ISO-L-EGD.

1722802034302.png
https://www.stihl.fr/fr/ap/huile-de-moteur-deux-temps-hp-super-1151

Even is on the JASO list.

1722801802938.png

Other Stihl brand oils (HP, HP Ultra) are rated as ISO-L-EGB/FB.

In Brazil, Stihl simply sells Castrol oils...

1722802327891.png1722802359375.png

https://www.castrol.com/pt_br/brazil/home/produtos-stihl.html

https://www.stihl.com.br/pt/projeto...-de-maquinas/lubrificante-e-conjunto-de-corte

Back