Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aaron that gives me something to work with , thanks. the other red one is the dayton and the mystery green beltdrive wards.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I didnt think the 750s had one??
I put the compression tester on it today, 140lbs :) im happy with that!
She now fires on prime.

I like finding big old saws with no compression due to the valve being stuck open.

Kinda like buying a saw with a frozen chain for 10 dollars and then releasing the chain brake when you get home. :D

the 650-750 comp button is right on top of the handle and toggles with your thumb.:cheers:

Did not know that Skil made chainsaws. I belive this is from the 80s. The case in aluminum but it has a lot of plastic internal parts. Also just has a manual oiler.

I looked it up, lots of people made Skil chainsaws, Poulan made several for them and re-badged them and some company from Canada made them also, not sure but think McCulloch might have made a model or two. The only Skil chainsaws I've seen around here look like the one you pictured only they were yellow. Neighbor down the street bought one a few weeks ago and hasn't even taken it inside yet, guess he doesn't like it too much.

I like finding big old saws with no compression due to the valve being stuck open.

Kinda like buying a saw with a frozen chain for 10 dollars and then releasing the chain brake when you get home. :D

the 650-750 comp button is right on top of the handle and toggles with your thumb.:cheers:

Yep. Pulling the lever backwards opens the decomp valve and sets the high idle. You release both by pulling the trigger.

Ric I had luck similar to that. About a year and a half ago I bought a Husky 257 at a yard sale. Rope was stuck all the way out, and the seller said the engine was locked up. The rest looked mostly complete, so I payed a 'locked up saw' price for it. Turns out the recoil mechanism was just jammed up. All I had to do was disassemble it and clean it. Spring wasn't even broken. Pulled the muffler and the P/C were cherry! Replaced the fuel line and some other minor bits and it's a sweet runner. Traded it to a friend for McCulloch parts and a couple bars. We're both quite happy.:D

That thing is a Frontier, from Canada, they were widely rebadged, even a Jonsereds version.

Give that man a cigar! It's indeed a Quadra powered Frontier. 34-ish cc. Rebadged almost as much as Poulan tophandles. I have a little Skil 944 Type-1 that's similar. Husky sold them as the models 33, 34, and 35. Skil, Jonsereds, and several others sold them in various colors. Some had AV. Some had an electronic ign that was as reliable as a candle in a windstorm. Some had chainbrakes. A few had a really strange 'exhaust gas cooling system'. The muffler dumped into a channel in the elaborate, finned clutch cover. The exhaust came out of another port in the cover after beeing cooled. The clutch hub had fan fins on it like a saw flywheel (to cool the clutch cover). Odd.....

to bad on this XL98d.:( anyone got a spare p&c?

Ouch. That doesn't surprise me Fraser. Those cutoff/concrete/demo saws lead a rough life. It's rare to find one that's been used much that doesn't have a roached P/C. Most of the intact used ones were bought and used for one job............then put up afterwards. I have a spare P/C...............I'm saving it for when I get an XL88 or XL98 with a roached P/C.:D
Sounds like you need that P/C more than I do right now. Do you want me to send it to you? May be a few weeks before I have enough free time to strip the parts saw of it and sent it out. LMK....:cheers:

Like the P50 I got for free that was low on comp.... Seems someone forgot to put a decompression valve in??? Hmmm
:)

I looked it up, lots of people made Skil chainsaws, Poulan made several for them and re-badged them and some company from Canada made them also, not sure but think McCulloch might have made a model or two. The only Skil chainsaws I've seen around here look like the one you pictured only they were yellow. Neighbor down the street bought one a few weeks ago and hasn't even taken it inside yet, guess he doesn't like it too much.

Good stuff right there. I posted it on another tread and we found out that its a Jonsereds M36. Think its the same as a Husky 35 too. Not sure on the Husky bit, but a am 100% sure its a M36. Thanks for looking for me man. Really appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back