Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I braved the 100 degree heat today and got the blow torch out and loosened all the bolts from the tank and popped the cover off it, scraped the surface and re-sealed it and applied a coat of red paint. I sealed the tank halves together with JB Weld then put the screws back in it. I hope I fixed it so it wouldn't leak, we'll find out if I get the saw put back together. One problem I have is that someone apparently was having trouble putting the long carb screws in that hold it to the reed plate and they cut one of them off, now it's too short to install. I'm pretty sure the local hardware will have something to fit it.

Good luck finding #12-24 hex head machine screws at your local hardware store. :msp_ohmy:

I can mail you one if I knew how long you need it to be.

Carl.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Good luck finding #12-24 hex head machine screws at your local hardware store. :msp_ohmy:

I can mail you one if I knew how long you need it to be.

Carl.

I saw some on ebay and ordered them, got to thinking I might have trouble finding them locally and saved myself some gas. I do appreciate the offer though. I even ordered a spare plus the little bracket. Can't figure out why the former owner cut one of them off. He even smoothed the ends down. Maybe he intended to only cut a little off to make it easier to install and went too far.

Good thing you did not show up with a ford ranger, they would not have fit.

Oh I'd find a way to fit those Homelites in my Ranger. You can bet on that.:D

Fraser you know why I like that photo.:cheers:

Let me know if you need me to pull that good used P/C from my XL-800 parts saw for your XL98D concrete saw.

Alright gurus, I'm baffled on the bar and chain on my XP1000, I'm getting ready to order a new chain for it, went down to check the gauge, and the drivers measure about .046??? This is .404 chain. It's (I think) Homelite chain, cutters are stamped with an H in a box, drivers are stamped 40, I couldn't find any reference to any "40" chain on Acres, except for a 1/2" pitch (forgot who made it).

The bar is Homelite branded, and the slot width is about .057 measured with feeler gauges. That seems tight for even .058 chain. Was there such an animal as .404x.050 back in the day? The bar is stamped SP2438105, and has a Windsor roller tip, SRA222B10.

What sorta odd duck do I have here? If it's rare/collectible, I don't have a problem hanging it on the wall or swapping someone here for a more common setup, I'm looking for something a bit longer than 24" anyhow.

What options do I have for new bars? Baileys and Oregon weren't much help, but I'd guess there are bars that will fit with just a little tweaking, but I don't know which ones. The thought of putting an 8 pin rim and running 3/8 on has crossed my mind.

Can get some detailed bar/chain pics tomorrow if needed.

Alright gurus, I'm baffled on the bar and chain on my XP1000, I'm getting ready to order a new chain for it, went down to check the gauge, and the drivers measure about .046??? This is .404 chain. It's (I think) Homelite chain, cutters are stamped with an H in a box, drivers are stamped 40, I couldn't find any reference to any "40" chain on Acres, except for a 1/2" pitch (forgot who made it).

The bar is Homelite branded, and the slot width is about .057 measured with feeler gauges. That seems tight for even .058 chain. Was there such an animal as .404x.050 back in the day? The bar is stamped SP2438105, and has a Windsor roller tip, SRA222B10.

What sorta odd duck do I have here? If it's rare/collectible, I don't have a problem hanging it on the wall or swapping someone here for a more common setup, I'm looking for something a bit longer than 24" anyhow.

What options do I have for new bars? Baileys and Oregon weren't much help, but I'd guess there are bars that will fit with just a little tweaking, but I don't know which ones. The thought of putting an 8 pin rim and running 3/8 on has crossed my mind.

Can get some detailed bar/chain pics tomorrow if needed.

There was .404-.050G chain. Hasn't been made in decades. .404-.058G isn't common anymore either, but is still somewhat available. I'd recomend you either have that bar rail opened up to .063 and run .404-.063G chain, get another bar (there's a bunch on feebay), scare up some .404-.058G chain and clean up that bar groove, or clean that bar groove up and run 3/8"-.058G chain with an 8 pin rim. The bar mount is Carlton 50, Oregon F014, Windsor HO, and GB H. IIRC the Cannon code is H as well. I'll have to look on my Cannon's to refresh my memory.

There have been hundreds of NOS Carlton .063G hardnoses sold on feebay over the last 2-3 years. A friend got me an NOS 30" one that he got somewhere when he bought a 20" or 24" (can't remember which) one for himself. In the beginning of that run, there were bars as long as 50 or 60" listed, but those went fast. There may still be some 36" bars left, but most of what I've seen lately has been 30", 25", and 20". Bryce (customchainsawparts on feebay) has had various hardnose bars (NOS and used) listed off and on.............sometimes for very reasonable prices. Those Carltons have been listed for reasonable prices.........................and outrageous prices on feebay. IIRC, Johnnie (Roanoker94) has an almost new 30" .063G Carlton hardnose listed in the classifieds section. Been there for a while.

Do NOT try to run a D096/D196/UXL/TXL Homelite XL-mount bar on your saw. I've seen folks post that you can do it (and ebay listings have wrongly stated you can do it). You will have issues (such as the bar plates, clutch cover, and/or bar pad being chewed up by the chain rivets) if you try it. The bar tail profile is just too narrow to work right on the large frame Homelites. You can run a large mount Stihl bar if you make an adaptor to take up the space in the stud slot (L Stihl is 14.1mm, Homelite is 9.5mm) and drill new oiler holes. You can also adapt a large frame Mac bar to work with a little 'tuning' of the adjuster and oiler holes.

Bar Mount Pattern: 16

http://www.arboristsite.com/classifieds.php?do=viewitem&itemid=2755

Last edited:
What model is this:

attachment.php

"Big old Homelite" in with a bunch of other junk in a Craigslist add near me.

Looks like a Homelite EZ, EZ6, or 7-19. 82cc 'fathers' and 'grandfathers' of the 600D and Zip type saws. Most EZ6 and all 7-19 saws had the 4 petal pyramid reed setup (although the Acres EZ6 listing wrongly states they were single reed). The EZ was the first saw to have a Tillotson HL carb (HL1A). Also was one of the first direct drive saws....................and was made BEFORE the Stihl Contra (which stihl sez is the worlds first "gearless" one man chainsaw).:D

That's a slick little RN bar there too. Probably an Oregon. RandyMac has a 600D with a similar RN and a loop of 3/8" chisel.

Model Profile: EZ Original Model

Model Profile: EZ-6

Model Profile: 7-19

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...02385238c44eb0dd88256ba2000e01e3?OpenDocument

Last edited:
Starter looks to be all there except for the rope and the stamped 'ashtray' cover. Those covers are almost always missing. It'll function fine without the cover. The starter mechanism has a 'ball ratchet' setup similar to old B&S engines. I'll send you an IPL when I get home from work.

Starter looks to be all there except for the rope and the stamped 'ashtray' cover. Those covers are almost always missing. It'll function fine without the cover. The starter mechanism has a 'ball ratchet' setup similar to old B&S engines. I'll send you an IPL when I get home from work.

The meatball don't answer his phone.

I'd be pickin' it up to pass along to someone who would want it.

Latest posts

Back