Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope it turns out well. I bought one from a local shop that has something mysterious wrong with it. Runs good some time and sometimes not. I haven't done much to it yet but the guy I bought it from said it only had a leaky gas tank. I fixed the tank but sure haven't fixed the saw yet. Probably got an air leak. I don't have the patience to fix the thing right at this moment so I'll probably throw it in a corner somewhere and hope someone steals it.

No known issues with that powerhead. The piston and cylinder didn't have a scratch on them.

No known issues with that powerhead. The piston and cylinder didn't have a scratch on them.

I think the piston in mine is a little scratched up but not too bad. I may have another problem with either crank seals or intake leak, may end up using it as a parts saw, not sure at this point.

Well, I went out and started the saw again and it felt funny running it, like it had anti-vibe or something, turns out the three bolts below the clutch must have come loose because it feels real loose in that area. Guess I'll take the clutch off again and see if I can tighten it up.

Last edited:

Yea that bar was trash. Chain was very very very sharp tho. I took it out the day I got it when I was cording up wood. Cut up a few logs that were too long. Instead of throwing out chips, it threw out long strands :msp_biggrin: I could not get the chain to stay intention at all tho, and at one point it about threw the chain right off from the bar. So today I went down to Ace and bought a new bar and chain. Gonna take her out in the woods this weekend and cut up some felled trees from that twister last month. Can't wait. Here's a pic of the new bar and chain. View attachment 247730

Yea that bar was trash. Chain was very very very sharp tho. I took it out the day I got it when I was cording up wood. Cut up a few logs that were too long. Instead of throwing out chips, it threw out long strands :msp_biggrin: I could not get the chain to stay intention at all tho, and at one point it about threw the chain right off from the bar. So today I went down to Ace and bought a new bar and chain. Gonna take her out in the woods this weekend and cut up some felled trees from that twister last month. Can't wait. Here's a pic of the new bar and chain. View attachment 247730

Those are really awesome saws! I have a few of them here and usually end up bucking big tree trunks with them when my newer saws quit running or get a dull chain which is often.
I checked out my latest Super XL and every bolt was loose on the clutch side, even the nut on the crank. All the little bolts under the clutch were loose for some reason, either they shook loose or I forgot to tighten them enough when I worked on it last week. I guess that might be why it was running erratically.

Those are really awesome saws! I have a few of them here and usually end up bucking big tree trunks with them when my newer saws quit running or get a dull chain which is often.
I checked out my latest Super XL and every bolt was loose on the clutch side, even the nut on the crank. All the little bolts under the clutch were loose for some reason, either they shook loose or I forgot to tighten them enough when I worked on it last week. I guess that might be why it was running erratically.
Which one do you like better, the Super XL or the XL-12?

Which one do you like better, the Super XL or the XL-12?

I'd have to say the Super XL. Very similar to the XL-12 but the reed system is a little better. Not sure of displacement but it seems that the Super has more power. The XL-12 is no slouch either but I'd prefer the Super by a nose.
I just looked it up to be sure..the Super XL does have slightly more displacement. I guess that would account for the added punch.

Last edited:
I'd have to say the Super XL. Very similar to the XL-12 but the reed system is a little better. Not sure of displacement but it seems that the Super has more power. The XL-12 is no slouch either but I'd prefer the Super by a nose.
I just looked it up to be sure..the Super XL does have slightly more displacement. I guess that would account for the added punch.

4CCs to be exact. The XL-12 has a 54 and the Super has 58. I have a Super XL over here that I bought off from a friend. The piston is toast but it still use to run in that condition. Needs a new carb tho since someone stole it. :angry:

Which one

I probably have them

Super XP1130, 1050 Auto, XP1020, and one more XP1020 that's a parts saw (don't really care about that tag). For me, it's the 100cc Homelites that come to me without tags. I have about 5 or 6 'spare' C-5 tags.....plus one complete runner C-5 (complete with tag). My buddy has a Super Wiz 77 that's missing a tag too. That's 5 cc short of the '100cc Homelite missing tag rule' but seems close enough to apply...

Super XP1130, 1050 Auto, XP1020, and one more XP1020 that's a parts saw (don't really care about that tag). For me, it's the 100cc Homelites that come to me without tags. I have about 5 or 6 'spare' C-5 tags.....plus one complete runner C-5 (complete with tag). My buddy has a Super Wiz 77 that's missing a tag too. That's 5 cc short of the '100cc Homelite missing tag rule' but seems close enough to apply...

You want the recoil or the tag?

I have at least one recoil but no tags that I have found yet.

Someone decided to blend all my NOS parts into big boxes when I was away sick :angry:

You want the recoil or the tag?

I have at least one recoil but no tags that I have found yet.

Someone decided to blend all my NOS parts into big boxes when I was away sick :angry:

The tags are what's missing from my saws (and my bud's SW77). The flywheel covers and starters are fine. BOXES of NOS parts? I need to send you a PM...

4CCs to be exact. The XL-12 has a 54 and the Super has 58. I have a Super XL over here that I bought off from a friend. The piston is toast but it still use to run in that condition. Needs a new carb tho since someone stole it. :angry:

I'm pretty sure the Super XL I've been messing with lately could easily be out run by a good condition XL-12. When I checked the compression it had less than 90 but started good and seemed to run alright. The piston is scarred up a little but I wouldn't say it was toast, I've cleaned them up that were lots worse than this one. I don't think this one is worth a rebuild, it has a few flaws that would make it not worthwhile.

not a saw but i thought Aaron and all you IH lovers would like this.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

How about these two against the xl 101 series, similar engine, but different design. I almost like the long sleek design of the xl101 series better but for overall ruggedness I would choose the Super xl

I have a 102 automatic, and I think it has the best power of any 11 pound stock saw period. I got this one in the video from an old saw shop that went out of business. The 102 has been sitting so long in the back room that nobody could remember why it came in. The handlebar was a little loose, so I wrapped it in rubber. Did nothing else, except adjust the carb a bit. Didn't even have to sharpen the chain..... Started on the fourth pull, which is about one pull for every 10 years that it sat. :msp_biggrin:

Wood in the vid is about 8" IIRC, and the saw has an 18" B&C

chainsaw :: 004-8.mp4 video by jmueller57 - Photobucket

I have a 102 automatic, and I think it has the best power of any 11 pound stock saw period. I got this one in the video from an old saw shop that went out of business. The 102 has been sitting so long in the back room that nobody could remember why it came in. The handlebar was a little loose, so I wrapped it in rubber. Did nothing else, except adjust the carb a bit. Didn't even have to sharpen the chain..... Started on the fourth pull, which is about one pull for every 10 years that it sat. :msp_biggrin:

Wood in the vid is about 8" IIRC, and the saw has an 18" B&C

chainsaw :: 004-8.mp4 video by jmueller57 - Photobucket

I have heard of the XL 101s and 102s, but I have never seen one. Just looked them up. Look a lot like a Super EZ....a Super EZ on steroids! What size motor do those have in them? looks like a mid 40cc.

Back