Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks,:msp_smile:
It did not have a front handle when I got it. The throttle cable and kill switch were
like yours. I fixed all that and a carb kit. I got it running, the blower is pretty strong.
Its not loud with that muffler on it. Then I cleaned it up and painted it.

Anything I should look for while I clean it up a little? I noticed it has a fair bit of oil around the gear case... was yours like that too when you got it? What did you do about it; just clean it up and continue, or stop and tear down the box and then put new seals in?

I am not planning on repainting the entire contraption like you did with your example. I'm thinking of just touching up the bare spots on the tank and elsewhere with some paint that matches as close as possible. We all know it's OD green, but believe it or not, there are different OD greens...

I wrote down the serial off of the engine info plate, and noticed a number written on top of the tank. It might be an NSN number. I will have to write that down too and see what comes up.

Anything I should look for while I clean it up a little? I noticed it has a fair bit of oil around the gear case... was yours like that too when you got it? What did you do about it; just clean it up and continue, or stop and tear down the box and then put new seals in?

I am not planning on repainting the entire contraption like you did with your example. I'm thinking of just touching up the bare spots on the tank and elsewhere with some paint that matches as close as possible. We all know it's OD green, but believe it or not, there are different OD greens...

I wrote down the serial off of the engine info plate, and noticed a number written on top of the tank. It might be an NSN number. I will have to write that down too and see what comes up.

There was no oil leaking out on it. Mainly paint peeling off. If I remember right it was blue
in side. The engine is pretty much the same as any XL 12.

I dont know what it is. :cool2:

ordrill003.jpg

ordrill004.jpg

ordrill002.jpg

ordrill005.jpg

CAM00009.jpg

CAM00010.jpg

CAM00006.jpg

Some messy, grainy Homelite pics to keep Fraser and the ERB at bay. Here's my Homelite 2100 project. Exact variant unknown at this time.........as all identifying marks and tags have been removed/lost/painted over. Has the large bottom outlet muffler and the smaller clutch cover. Rings look to be thinner than 'thick' rings that I've seen in the past..........but not 'super thin' like McCulloch thin rings. Has a Tilly HL273A carb. 2100 style two piece flywheel/cylinder cover arrangement.

P/C look good, but the rings look to be tired. Will probably replace 'em. Came to me missing a cylinder cover (and comp release lever clip). A friend here sent me a cylinder cover (sans clip), but it needs repair. The area where the cylinder attachment screw passes through is busted out.

Muffler can has the front (nearest the clutch cover) rotted away. A small section of the muffler cover where it meats the can is also rotted away. Will have to repair or replace. Muffler cover is missing.

Crankcase has part of the flange down low behind the flywheel broken and partially welded up. Will leave that for a while until I scare up a crankcase. As some yahoo did a lousy repaint job years ago, I'll most likely tear it all the way down, strip it, and repaint before reassembly with new seals and rings. It'll sit on the shelf for a while....

CAM00009.jpg

CAM00010.jpg

CAM00006.jpg

Some messy, grainy Homelite pics to keep Fraser and the ERB at bay. Here's my Homelite 2100 project. Exact variant unknown at this time.........as all identifying marks and tags have been removed/lost/painted over. Has the large bottom outlet muffler and the smaller clutch cover. Rings look to be thinner than 'thick' rings that I've seen in the past..........but not 'super thin' like McCulloch thin rings. Has a Tilly HL273A carb. 2100 style two piece flywheel/cylinder cover arrangement.

P/C look good, but the rings look to be tired. Will probably replace 'em. Came to me missing a cylinder cover (and comp release lever clip). A friend here sent me a cylinder cover (sans clip), but it needs repair. The area where the cylinder attachment screw passes through is busted out.

Muffler can has the front (nearest the clutch cover) rotted away. A small section of the muffler cover where it meats the can is also rotted away. Will have to repair or replace. Muffler cover is missing.

Crankcase has part of the flange down low behind the flywheel broken and partially welded up. Will leave that for a while until I scare up a crankcase. As some yahoo did a lousy repaint job years ago, I'll most likely tear it all the way down, strip it, and repaint before reassembly with new seals and rings. It'll sit on the shelf for a while....

Big muffler, Thin rings, rubber covering on wrap handle,
3/4 clutch = Later Super 2100

Lee

Big muffler, Thin rings, rubber covering on wrap handle,
3/4 clutch = Later Super 2100

Lee

Thanks for the identification Lee! Figured you'd know the answer.:clap:

Looking at my IPL's.........I see that the Super 2100 uses the same rings as a 750 (69193-A). IIRC I've read that McCulloch SP125C rings can be used on 750 pistons with a little end gap filing. Can those Mac rings be used in a Super 2100 Homelite as well?

I see you have been hitting the syrup again.

Those 1 Qt Costco maple syrup jugs make dandy bar oil dispensers.:D

Last edited:

Looking at my IPL's.........I see that the Super 2100 uses the same rings as a 750 (69193-A). IIRC I've read that McCulloch SP125C rings can be used on 750 pistons with a little end gap filing. Can those Mac rings be used in a Super 2100 Homelite as well?

I've never done it. I believe it was Hoss that
claimed to have used 125 rings and filed them
to fit the smaller Homelite bore. If it will work
on a 750 it should work on a 2100.

Lee

I've never done it. I believe it was Hoss that
claimed to have used 125 rings and filed them
to fit the smaller Homelite bore. If it will work
on a 750 it should work on a 2100.

Lee

I thought it was the SP105 rings he used

Check the 750 and 2100 bore size against these

Pro Mac 105 ............2.250"/ 1.635.................88623..........106.5cc or 6.5 cu/in.......................2
SuperPro 105 ...............................................88623.............................................................2

Thanks Bob. Bore for the 2000/2100/3100G and 750 Homelites is 2.25". Looks like SP105 rings would be the way to go (aside from the Homelite rings of course).

Last edited:
The 2100 thin rings are real thin, are you sure? Dykes ring in front, then thick rings, 2100 thin rings on left of super 2100 piston, Mac 125 part number 85608 rings on right
View attachment 269517.

269517d1356410374-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356410364-490100-jpg

I'm going to have to pull the muffler cover again, snap a couple pics, and measure the ring width. Probably tomorrow morning....

Merry Christmas to all my Homelite friends!

Homelite 900D.

I got this one a few weeks ago. Its was in good running shape.
I did a few miner things to it to make it look better.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back