Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(Please ignore the "Super" in the title line)

Started playing around with another 2000 and found this one has the piston that uses the Rulon plugs instead of circlips. The IPL calls for this piston in the 2000, however all the others I've seen so far had circlips. I assumed these must have been refitted at some point using newer pistons like found in the 2100S or 3100.

Anyway, this is the first one of these I've came across like this. Thing is, not only does it use the plugs, but there's cutouts on the skirt. The cutouts look very similar to the style used on the 775D/G. Here's a pic with the 2000 piston on the left and a 775 on the right.

attachment.php

Neither IPL for the 775 or 2000 show the pic of the the piston as having cutouts on the piston. So, the big question I have is this cutout original for the 2000, or did somebody get creative and add these to maybe try boost the power? The cut looks fairly accurate, but I question it being original since the molding where a part number is visible is partly cut away.

Thanks,
Dan
Hello Dan. I'm thinking you are correct about all that. Original piston in this 2000 with some custom work and the others you have seen have 2100S pistons. The picture didn't come through, and I would like to see it.

Sumthin' weird with the pic, 'cause I see it... Maybe its referenced a copy on my computer and not the uploaded one.... I'll try again with a photobucket upload.

2000piston.jpg

Dan

3 new to me Homelites

I went to look at three Homelites today which were priced as a three saw sale.
I was after the larger saw (the 5 cube Homelite still eluding me) but the little ones looked interesting as well. They were to be sold as a package. Worked out prety well. He had a green saw there and I asked him about it. He liked it but it was pooched.
He said if I would take the green one and fix it I could have the three Homelites for free.
Here are a few pics. The VI922 piston and cylinder look great. It has spark and huge compression. It's over 180 lbs and an SOB to pull over.
All have old gas in them so they will need some work.

HomeliteminisJan12-13_zpsf3785e53.jpg

HomeliteVI922Jan12-13_zpsea9c3c81.jpg

VI922label_zpsfb60f7ad.jpg

I was after the larger saw (the 5 cube Homelite still eluding me) but the little ones looked interesting as well. They were to be sold as a package. Worked out prety well. He had a green saw there and I asked him about it. He liked it but it was pooched.
He said if I would take the green one and fix it I could have the three Homelites for free.
Here are a few pics. The VI922 piston and cylinder look great. It has spark and huge compression. It's over 180 lbs and an SOB to pull over.

What a great deal you got there Tim!:clap:

The VI-922 must be another Canada specific model. Only VI versions of these saws that I know of in the US are the VI944 and VI955. Obviously yours is a VI version of an XL-922 or SXL-922. Should be 4.71ci/77cc. LMK if you don't have the right starter handle for it. That B&S handle has GOT to go. I'll send you one if you need it. The correct handle looks like what's on your Super Mini's.

What green saw are you gonna have to fix? Here in the Homelite thread we're not so adverse to the mention of North American saws that aren't red or blue....:D

Last edited:
Sumthin' weird with the pic, 'cause I see it... Maybe its referenced a copy on my computer and not the uploaded one.... I'll try again with a photobucket upload.

2000piston.jpg

Dan

The ebay 2000 I just finished rebuilding had swallowed a circlip on the exhaust side and someone had tried to clean up the cylinder with a die grinder/new rings and those same plugs (same colors even). The saw did make about 145+ compression despite the damage, but I had aquired a new top end for the rebuild. I liked those plugs so much as compared to the circlips (not the first swallowed circlip in a 114cc Homie i've seen) that I used them in the new top end on the rebuild. I would use these every time with a bridged exhaust if I could.

Last edited:
What a great deal you got there Tim!:clap:

The VI-922 must be another Canada specific model. Only VI versions of these saws that I know of in the US are the VI944 and VI955. Obviously yours is a VI version of an XL-922 or SXL-922. Should be 4.71ci/77cc. LMK if you don't have the right starter handle for it. That B&S handle has GOT to go. I'll send you one if you need it. The correct handle looks like what's on your Super Mini's.

What green saw are you gonna have to fix? Here in the Homelite thread we're not so adverse to the mention of North American saws that aren't red or blue....:D

Thanks Aaron. It's a really nice 3400. Dirty as heck but with a chain brake and spike. I have it semi cleaned up. I have enough oily sawdust to make a log. He thought the piston was scored but it's in good shape. Compression is 128 lbs, fuel lines are shot as is the filter. Duck bill is there.
I will press / vac test it and put a carb kit in it as well. He had the high and low screws out more than two turns each. He said it bogged in the cut and would stall out. He should have a really nice runner when I'm done with it. I think I'll do a muff mod on it as well.

On a Geezer note, I stopped on the way back to look at a pair of 28" bars as I have nothing but 20" for the big Poulans. I got there and the guy said he couldn't remember where he put them. He was very apologetic. Hard to get mad at him when i do the same thing all the time.

Where are you finding pistons for a 2000?

The one I have has a broken ring land.

I have 2 or 3 good ones salvaged from junkers one of which is a nice dykes style ring piston. In the case of the one I just built, I got that from Randy Duncan as I knew he had been sitting on one for a while now. I got a new ring for the dykes piston and will see what kind of comp I can get with the scored/cleaned up cylinder off this 2000. I have a beater saw that was locked up that I think was a 2100 that donated a handlebar and other parts to the 2000 build. It won't turn out as nice as the 2000, but I think I can build a good runner with what I have left.

I agree with the lead sled comment. I had one about 20 years ago. Full of gas and oil weighed 27 lbs.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

HomeliteminisJan12-13_zpsf3785e53.jpg

HomeliteVI922Jan12-13_zpsea9c3c81.jpg

VI922label_zpsfb60f7ad.jpg
Very nice great Score :cheers:

Dykes piston rings

(Please ignore the "Super" in the title line)

Started playing around with another 2000 and found this one has the piston that uses the Rulon plugs instead of circlips. The IPL calls for this piston in the 2000, however all the others I've seen so far had circlips. I assumed these must have been refitted at some point using newer pistons like found in the 2100S or 3100.

Anyway, this is the first one of these I've came across like this. Thing is, not only does it use the plugs, but there's cutouts on the skirt. The cutouts look very similar to the style used on the 775D/G. Here's a pic with the 2000 piston on the left and a 775 on the right.

attachment.php

Neither IPL for the 775 or 2000 show the pic of the the piston as having cutouts on the piston. So, the big question I have is this cutout original for the 2000, or did somebody get creative and add these to maybe try boost the power? The cut looks fairly accurate, but I question it being original since the molding where a part number is visible is partly cut away.

Thanks,
Dan

I have 2 new Dykes piston rings for the Homelite. The list of piston rings that Homelite published several years ago says they fit Super 2000 and 2100. P.M. me if interested.
chainsawlady

out cutting with my SXLAO today and realized the auto oiler not puttin out. the manual works fine. looks to be an adjustor right next to the oil cap. which way do you twist it to put more oil out? thanks, jerry

out cutting with my SXLAO today and realized the auto oiler not puttin out. the manual works fine. looks to be an adjustor right next to the oil cap. which way do you twist it to put more oil out? thanks, jerry

Jerry that's not an adjuster........but it may still lead you to your solution. That's the pickup assembly for the AO pump. The slot-head thing you're seeing is actually a long threaded deal with the pick up tube and filter hanging off the bottom. Unscrew that bugger and clean it. My guess is that there's chips and other mung clogging the pickup screen.

Here are a couple of ebay listings for the pickups to show what I'm talkin' about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Hom...160?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2e991728

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-Homeli...217?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4149658901

Last edited:
The ebay 2000 I just finished rebuilding had swallowed a circlip on the exhaust side and someone had tried to clean up the cylinder with a die grinder/new rings and those same plugs (same colors even). The saw did make about 145+ compression despite the damage, but I had aquired a new top end for the rebuild. I liked those plugs so much as compared to the circlips (not the first swallowed circlip in a 114cc Homie i've seen) that I used them in the new top end on the rebuild. I would use these every time with a briged exhaust if I could.

Ian, have you ever came across a 2000 with the original non-circlip type piston? Not sure if you can tell in the pic I posted today, but there's not even a groove cut for a circlip... its just smooth. I'm wondering if there was some problem with using the Rulon plugs, 'cause they didn't seem to be on a lot of models, and only for a brief time there around the late 60s.

A few years back, I came across a box with some old Brown carb parts and it had a pile of these plugs in the bottom. Didn't know what they were until a couple days ago when I took this 2000 apart. Now I gotta remember where I put 'em :msp_rolleyes:.

Dan

Latest posts

Back