Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up another ZIP today...chain on it blew my mind

Ok so my other Zip has a .404 on it but this thing is a monster! Both have 18in bars and chains on them but this thing has like a 1/2 or even 9/16 chain. Maybe bigger. Any help identifying? What were the different variations of chains found on the Zips and EZ-6s? View attachment 275744

DSCF1323_zpsa3a74bc4.jpg
Ahh another copy of the XL-12....You must have some nerve posting this on the Homelite thread. :D

Last edited:
Ok so my other Zip has a .404 on it but this thing is a monster! Both have 18in bars and chains on them but this thing has like a 1/2 or even 9/16 chain. Maybe bigger. Any help identifying? What were the different variations of chains found on the Zips and EZ-6s? View attachment 275744

Look to see if there are numbers on the chain drivers. Also, look for the pitch to be stamped on the clutch drum. Most Zips have 7/16 or .404 pitch chains. 1/2" pitch drums were available for them however.

Look to see if there are numbers on the chain drivers. Also, look for the pitch to be stamped on the clutch drum. Most Zips have 7/16 or .404 pitch chains. 1/2" pitch drums were available for them however.

I will check that out here in a little bit. Any info on the ZIPs? I do not know the history but I do know that they must have been pretty common. I found 3 in my area withing 60 days and i was not even looking...

chain is Oregon 20. Sprocket does not say anything. Could not find anything on it because everything kept referring to Oregon 20" chain :bang:

Last edited:
Ahh another copy of the XL-12....You must have some nerve posting this on the Homelite thread. :D

Everything an XL-12 or even a SXL wanted to be and.............................. more.......................................................:msp_biggrin:

They also had the most durable paint on their saws for the time period.

Everything an XL-12 or even a SXL wanted to be and.............................. more.......................................................:msp_biggrin:

They also had the most durable paint on their saws for the time period.

But you can't beat the original........................:msp_biggrin:

Yowza! 453 pages of Homelite to peruse.:dizzy: I just picked up what I looks to be a pretty decent C-52, and an XL923. The latter needs fuel lines (already on the way) and a clutch. All 6 shoes of the clutch were sheared! Both start with a prime. The C-52 has a red clutch cover with adjuster bolt in the front.

.404 sprocket for Homelite Zip

Looking for sprockets for Homelite Zip .404 pitch.
chainsawlady

I will check that out here in a little bit. Any info on the ZIPs? I do not know the history but I do know that they must have been pretty common. I found 3 in my area withing 60 days and i was not even looking...

They were EXTREMELY common. Intended to be a 'farmer' and general use saw.

Model Profile: ZIP, ZIP-MODIFIED

chain is Oregon 20. Sprocket does not say anything. Could not find anything on it because everything kept referring to Oregon 20" chain :bang:

Hmmm... It's not Oregon 20, as that'd be .325 pitch. I don't have the Homelite chain #'s handy. Here's some chain info on Mike Acres' site.

Chain Saw Collectors Corner Chain Saw Chain

Looking for sprockets for Homelite Zip .404 pitch.
chainsawlady

Doesn't the C series take the same sprockets as the ZIP? Btw those parts you sold me all work great.

Yes they do. Joyce is great to deal with too.

C-52 bar & chain

OK, I'm a little late to this party, but trying to read through the previous 452 pages.:msp_confused: I just picked up the previously mentioned C-52 and XL923. Both had 18-20" hardnose bars, and both had 3/8 .050 chain on bars that must have started out as .063.:msp_scared:

I was thinking of converting the C-52 back to .404 on a short, fat bar (16-20")"just because", but I'll need to find a good bar.

I checked the compression and saw 120psi (if my gauge is accurate), so is that low? Re-ring? From what I can see through the sparkplug hole and exhaust the cylinder looks OK. I really want to get this running and make some noise,:laugh: and big chips.

OK, I'm a little late to this party, but trying to read through the previous 452 pages.:msp_confused: I just picked up the previously mentioned C-52 and XL923. Both had 18-20" hardnose bars, and both had 3/8 .050 chain on bars that must have started out as .063.:msp_scared:

I was thinking of converting the C-52 back to .404 on a short, fat bar (16-20")"just because", but I'll need to find a good bar.

I checked the compression and saw 120psi (if my gauge is accurate), so is that low? Re-ring? From what I can see through the sparkplug hole and exhaust the cylinder looks OK. I really want to get this running and make some noise,:laugh: and big chips.

I can probably hook you up with a good 'short, fat' .063G hardnose bar for your C-52. Will look through my stack this evening. 120 PSI is a little low, but still OK for running. The Homelite SM advises us to dig into the engine if the compression falls below 100 PSI. They may come back up after a bit of running too.

C-52

I can probably hook you up with a good 'short, fat' .063G hardnose bar for your C-52. Will look through my stack this evening. 120 PSI is a little low, but still OK for running. The Homelite SM advises us to dig into the engine if the compression falls below 100 PSI. They may come back up after a bit of running too.

Thanks for the compression info. It seemed a little low, but it is an old reed valver, so will proceed. Its just intended to be a fun saw, not a work saw, so will get used only on occasion.

The bars I have are either worn, or the rails spread .030"+ at the rear, and still close to .063" at the front. It seemed ridiculous that someone didn't realize that the .050 chains were grossly loose in the rails.

The "deflector" at the intake of the carb is MIA. Is that going to be a problem? It will fire with fuel in the carb, but doesn't seem to be pulling any. The line in the tank looks OK, but also appears to be a PITA to replace. The section in the airbox seems as hard as stone. I'm guessing that the carb needs a kit, and should replace the lines and filter.

Xl-923

The XL-923 had sheared all (6) shoes in the clutch, but replacement shoes are on the way. The 6 shoe is the "heavy duty" upgrade, correct?

Were the 3 shoe clutches problematic?

I see a rim sprocket and will have to make a spanner to pull the clutch carrier. Will this saw be happy pulling 8 tooth, or should I go with 7 tooth assuming 20" or 24" bar?

Does anyone have a full wrap handle to fit?

Last edited:
The XL-923 had sheared all (6) shoes in the clutch, but replacement shoes are on the way. The 6 shoe is the "heavy duty" upgrade, correct?

I see a rim sprocket and will have to make a spanner to pull the clutch carrier. Will this saw be happy pulling 8 tooth, or should I go with 7 tooth assuming 20" or 24" bar?

I can't tell you anything about the clutch but I have two larger Homelites, An XL-902 AM and a VI922. Both are 77cc saws and both came to me with 8 pin sprockets. The 902 with an 8 pin spur and the VI922 with an 8 pin rim. I don't have the VI922 running yet but the 902 pulls a 20" so strongly I can't bog it down so I would say you will be OK there. Oregon rims fit the Homelite drum on mine.

I am not sure but I would guess that the 6 shoe set up would be stock for running a .404 or bigger chain on a 70+ cc saw. I mean those big Homelite's run big sprockets. And it seems to me that a 3 shoe clutch would not be as practical. All of my smaller Homelite's run a 3 shoe clutch I know that. But I never dug into my C-7 (80cc) or my ZIP (77cc) because they both ran good when I bought them. I would think that they would have more than 3 shoes? I'd wait till Aaron gets on here and sets us straight.

Guys I'm in trouble. I installed a wire snap ring on the wrong side (intake) of my C-72 piston. Any ideas for removing it without trashing the piston? TIA for any suggestions.

Robert

That's no fun. Small pointed tool such as a modified fish hook can help. Get under the end of the damn thing and lift it out of the groove enough to get a small screwdriver tip under it. Then slowly, carefully work it around out of the groove.

Thanks for the compression info. It seemed a little low, but it is an old reed valver, so will proceed. Its just intended to be a fun saw, not a work saw, so will get used only on occasion.

The bars I have are either worn, or the rails spread .030"+ at the rear, and still close to .063" at the front. It seemed ridiculous that someone didn't realize that the .050 chains were grossly loose in the rails.

The "deflector" at the intake of the carb is MIA. Is that going to be a problem? It will fire with fuel in the carb, but doesn't seem to be pulling any. The line in the tank looks OK, but also appears to be a PITA to replace. The section in the airbox seems as hard as stone. I'm guessing that the carb needs a kit, and should replace the lines and filter.

You're referring to the 'deflector' on the XL-923? It's just a 'spitback collector' (catches some of the fuel spit back out of the carb of reed valve saws......to be sucked back in) and isn't really needed. It just keeps the carb box a little cleaner/dryer.

I strongly suggest you rebuild the carbs and replace the fuel lines and filters on both saws.

As far as the 7/8 tooth question........what pitch chain are you going to run? Both your C-52 and XL-923 will easily pull 3/8-8 on 20-24" bars. I would NOT recommend that you run .404-8 on either of them (stick with 7 tooth with .404). A 3/8-8 rim is about the same diameter as a .404-7 rim BTW.

Strangely enough, I believe the three shoe clutch on the XL-700/800/900 series saws is the HD unit. My SXL-925 IPL states that the 3 shoe clutch was used on the SXL-925W (the "Western" version, with the full wrap handlebar......and intended for the PNW market where longer bars were usually used). My Western is so equipped.

I am not sure but I would guess that the 6 shoe set up would be stock for running a .404 or bigger chain on a 70+ cc saw. I mean those big Homelite's run big sprockets. And it seems to me that a 3 shoe clutch would not be as practical. All of my smaller Homelite's run a 3 shoe clutch I know that. But I never dug into my C-7 (80cc) or my ZIP (77cc) because they both ran good when I bought them. I would think that they would have more than 3 shoes? I'd wait till Aaron gets on here and sets us straight.

The 77/82cc XL700/800/900 series saws used both 3 and 6 shoe clutches. They are completely different clutch setups (the 3 and the 6), with different clutch hubs, shoes, and drums.

The C-series and Zip series used a different clutch setup than the XL700-900 series. Those large frame Homelites can also be found with 3 and 6 shoe clutches. However, with these large frame saws, they simply omitted every other clutch shoe to make a 3 shoe clutch (using the same clutch hub, shoes, and drum). This seems to only be on the C-5/51/52 and probably the Zip. It looks really weird (like something's missing), but that's the way they did it.

I believe the larger C-series saws (C-7/71/72 and C-9/91) had all six shoes installed from the factory. Same with the XP-Series saws (which are a continuation of the C-Series) The C-Series IPL's I've seen also state that C-5/51/52 saws outfitted with the gear drive conversion clutch cover should be equipped with all six shoes...

Back