Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to one of the SXLA's and we have another runner.

[video=youtube;hJoT1ZSvzL0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJoT1ZSvzL0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

My little buddy wanted to help... One of the few words he knows is "chainsaw!"
IMAG2496.jpg

Guys,

My neighbor has a Homelite Super XL That is blue and says Special Edition on the recoil.
It is in GREAT shape.
He is wanting to sell it and I told him I would put it out here and see if there is any interest.
I can get pics if anyone is seriously interested.

Mike

Guys,

My neighbor has a Homelite Super XL That is blue and says Special Edition on the recoil.
It is in GREAT shape.
He is wanting to sell it and I told him I would put it out here and see if there is any interest.
I can get pics if anyone is seriously interested.

Mike

Seen that particular version (a LATE production SXL-AO made in 1994 or so with 'nostalgic' badging) go for silly money a few times on ebay recently...

I saw an XL12 in Craftsman colors today.

That's something I'd like to see. Never seen that variation.

Interesting. I like the old Homelite labeled sprocket nose laying next to it. Did you happen to see if the saw had a Sears MN/SN tag on it? Would have a MN that'd look like 517.xxxxxx (three digits, a period, then the rest). The first three digits would be the manufacturer's code (517 is Homelite).

I recently missed out on a Craftsman 4.5 labeled Homelite 450 on CL. Was about a six hour round trip IIRC. Too much gas $ on top of the cost of the saw to be worth it. If it was local it'd be in my shop now. If you get that Homelite, I think I can send an AF cover your way.:D

Hey,

Any chance I could get somebody to look at the carb on their 550 for me?

I noticed that the throttle butterfly doesn't open all the way when held at what should be "wide open". It does open all the way on my other saws, but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't designed that way before I go bending linkages and such.

Thanks,
Phillip

Hey,

Any chance I could get somebody to look at the carb on their 550 for me?

I noticed that the throttle butterfly doesn't open all the way when held at what should be "wide open". It does open all the way on my other saws, but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't designed that way before I go bending linkages and such.

Thanks,
Phillip

It should go to WOT. I haven't messed with a 550 yet, but the 750's I've worked on have had throttle link issues before. The link gets tweaked a bit when the carb is removed and replaced. If it gets tweaked one way, the throttle shaft won't return to idle (where the arm is resting on the idle speed screw). If it gets tweaked another way the throttle won't open all the way. Not only do they get 'streched' or 'scrunched' (made too long or too short), but they can also get twisted, which will make things bind and the throttle won't return to idle (BTDT). Fixing it is trial and error. Make small adjustments or you'll make it worse.

Also, the trigger is plastic and somewhat fragile. Don't be too forceful with things or you'll break it where the link connects. The trigger also wears out where the link connects. On one saw I worked on, the throttle link would jump out of the trigger and jam in the handle casting (at WOT). Not good. Fortunately, there are several folks selling NOS triggers for these saws on feebay for around $7 IIRC. Changing out the trigger isn't fun though. Pins and little springs.....

Interesting...I took the handle apart and everything was fine. Was just like the rod was too long. Ended up having to tweak the rod quite a bit, but everything is good to go now. -phillip

Latest posts

Back