Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey picked up a C-5 and was wondering if someone could tell me how the recoil works? It looks like the pawls are supposed to catch some notchs or something but its smooth? Any help? Pics later

Sent from me to you using my fingers

Hey picked up a C-5 and was wondering if someone could tell me how the recoil works? It looks like the pawls are supposed to catch some notchs or something but its smooth? Any help? Pics later

First off, download an IPL from Chainsawr (site sponser) and see if all the parts are all there and installed in correct order. Next, see if the dogs extend as you pull the rope.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Note how the dogs extend with less than a half turn of the pulley above.

Do not oil the friction washers. Just the pulley spindle.

The dogs can be improved by filing them sharp but do not make them shorter.

Pull the starter cup and chuck it in a vise and using a center punch dimple the inside every 3/32" all the way around.

Good luck.

[video=youtube;jGYeEy99dbM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jGYeEy99dbM#t=130s[/video]

[video=youtube;jGYeEy99dbM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jGYeEy99dbM#t=130s[/video]

WoW! way cool. Wonder how they did it? If it was done on a computer? Wonder if the climber was even real. So many questions lol. Being from the east, are there places like that in the PNW?

This is what the guy who posted it said.

This is from a VHS tape that I dug up that was given to me when I was hired at IBM in the late '90s. I'm not sure of it's original intent for usage. Looks like it may have been used perhaps by trainers who were giving a break during class.

Last edited:

ah..... what a vicarious thrill. i am again suitably impressed by climbers. i could maybe climb-when i was younger- but seriously doubt i could sit on a stump like that. used ta work on bridges and got to where i couldn't go up on the caps or beams any more. thanks for the the vid

xl 15

just finished this little jem up.My fisrt real post so i thought i'd try to make it a good one.Some of you have seen it on another site but i just love this little saw so i wanted everybody to see it.now lets see if the picts come through
8696bbf1-dd30-4e19-8799-c89634d61275.jpg

3748a2aa-ead2-4ebb-95e6-8adc760fb8ac.jpg

xl15019.jpg

xl15012.jpg

WoW! way cool. Wonder how they did it? If it was done on a computer? Wonder if the climber was even real. So many questions lol. Being from the east, are there places like that in the PNW?

This is what the guy who posted it said.

This is from a VHS tape that I dug up that was given to me when I was hired at IBM in the late '90s. I'm not sure of it's original intent for usage. Looks like it may have been used perhaps by trainers who were giving a break during class.

Just watching that tree swing around after the top is on its way down makes my hands tingle. That video says a lot about the SEZ, quite a feat for a 40cc saw not many made today could swing that.

What Im saying is, its not real. Its great and all but I don't think its real

possibly the only unreal thing on there was the guy sipping from a china tea cup. but even that is not outside the realm of possibility. you notice his burnsides? clothing? gear? that's 60's/70's. not to mention the saw. that is exactly how they top them trees. seen lots of pix of guys sitting atop the stumps afterwards enjoying the view. fer sure someone had to either rig a camera or climb an adjacent tree carrying a camera or some such. that would be even more incredible to see.
course, you may be right. it could all be computer generated. i'll prolly never know. just sayin.

i would say that most of it is real, and some of the closeups are edited in. and looking at some of the period gear is correct . and yes the timber get's that big a bigger. i just put it over here in the homie thread because of the saw and mac t. :msp_wink:

possibly the only unreal thing on there was the guy sipping from a china tea cup. but even that is not outside the realm of possibility. you notice his burnsides? clothing? gear? that's 60's/70's. not to mention the saw. that is exactly how they top them trees. seen lots of pix of guys sitting atop the stumps afterwards enjoying the view. fer sure someone had to either rig a camera or climb an adjacent tree carrying a camera or some such. that would be even more incredible to see.
course, you may be right. it could all be computer generated. i'll prolly never know. just sayin.

and the smoke he was having . i'm a slow typer .:msp_rolleyes:

If you look at the bark while he is climbing you can see fresh scuffs where they went up earlier and rigged the ropes for the camera guy, probably went up an adjacent tree as well for the above shots, I agree the fine china was edited in.

First off, download an IPL from Chainsawr (site sponser) and see if all the parts are all there and installed in correct order. Next, see if the dogs extend as you pull the rope.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Note how the dogs extend with less than a half turn of the pulley above.

Do not oil the friction washers. Just the pulley spindle.

The dogs can be improved by filing them sharp but do not make them shorter.

Pull the starter cup and chuck it in a vise and using a center punch dimple the inside every 3/32" all the way around.

Good luck.

Thanks friend!

just finished this little jem up.My fisrt real post so i thought i'd try to make it a good one.Some of you have seen it on another site but i just love this little saw so i wanted everybody to see it.now lets see if the picts come through

VERY nice job restoring a RARE saw.:clap:

I have an XL-15, but sadly some yahoo 'converted' it back to direct drive with a .404 spur drum and a clutch cover from a much later SXL. Still has the XL-15 MN/SN tag and the "XL-15" logo on the flywheel housing.

offbrands001-2.jpg

offbrands002-1.jpg

Thanks Mo.Jim!

Jim left me a good wrap handle when he was here last Thursday. Today I got around to replacing the bent one. Included in the exercise was drilling out a broken screw which went good for a change. Only broke one bit and it did not get stuck in the hole.:clap:

Just about ready for Craigslist.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

What's the story with the bumblebee and the clutch cover hole?

I can't speak about the sticker.......but the hole in the clutch cover happens when those little clutch plate screws back out and drag against the inside of the cover. That's a common 'feature' on Homelites with those little screws in the clutch.

De-comp?

Jim left me a good wrap handle when he was here last Thursday. Today I got around to replacing the bent one. Included in the exercise was drilling out a broken screw which went good for a change. Only broke one bit and it did not get stuck in the hole.:clap:

Just about ready for Craigslist.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That saw looks like it doesn't have a de-comp valve, at least not like the one on my xl923. If that's the case it must be amusing to start!

Craiglist? really?

Lee:msp_scared::hmm3grin2orange:

That saw looks like it doesn't have a de-comp valve, at least not like the one on my xl923. If that's the case it must be amusing to start!

Craiglist? really?

Lee:msp_scared::hmm3grin2orange:

Many saws in this series don't have a comp release. My SXL-925W requires some commitment when starting...

Latest posts

Back