Hybrid Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not doubting you in any way, mind you. Just wondering why
A 32 inch 3/8 bar has 105 links,a .404 for a 32 inch has 96 which will have more friction ,which one will be able to carry more oil between the links ?both being .063 drivers. My sawmill with a 28 inch bar .050 needed an aux oiler so i did not burn the paint off the bar,same saw with a 32 inch .404 i can run no aux oiler ,use all of my nar now and still not burn the paint off of it .

.063 has 26% more oil capacity than .050, to put it into proper prospective. I do prefer .063 on any bar over 20", and have both a 24" and 28" bar in .063.

Unfortunately, on the East coast, .050 is the overwhelming standard.

The 1st saw I purchased after joining AS had an 0.063" bar.

Since then, every bar I buy is 0.063". Not a big deal here in Georgia.

If I need a bar, and the Bar Baron or Mike Lee doesn't have what I need, I call my Stihlership and order what I need: within 3 days, I have it.

Same thing for chains.

I'm set on both B&C for a while.

It's sad that the Husky bars,( Oregon), at our local Husky shop cost 20% more than a Stihl bar. [emoji23][emoji23]

I understand this

to be accepted, but with 10,000 rpm x 7 drivers = oooohhh let's say about 70,000 drivers per minute. Seems like an awful lot of links grabbing a miniscule amount of oil to be thinking about an extra .013".

As strange as it sounds, it's true.

A couple of members have proven this already.

it would be interesting to see how a ported 460 compares to a "hybrid" ported 460, so I can make some estimation on how it would compare to the XPW cylinder.

I compared these two side by side with a 28" in cherry. Both were .018" 102/118/78. As Mike Lee said way back , the hybrid spools quicker but i give the 460 the go for more balls with the longer bar. With a 20" cut speed is almost the same.

.063 has 26% more oil capacity than .050, to put it into proper prospective. I do prefer .063 on any bar over 20", and have both a 24" and 28" bar in .063.

Unfortunately, on the East coast, .050 is the overwhelming standard.
If you think that a .050" wide × 1/2" deep groove (minus a driver every 3/4") is full of oil while running the saw, you're crazy. Which, to me, is what would be required for .063 to carry more oil than .050.

Ok. Maybe I'm crazy. I just can't see that groove being full.

I have 2 24" bars, one .063, one .050. If you bury the nose in the cut, using the dogs, it seems like the .050 is more likely to jam up with wood chips than the .063. Don't know that I can explain the reasons, but that is my experience.

Also, .063 is more prevalent on the West Coast were longer bars are more common, seems to me there may be a reason for this.

That said, 36" bars are sold on the East coast in .050 all the time.

Likely, the difference ain't worth fightin over.

Y'all full of ****.
The oiler output doesn't change just because you change bar gauge.......
That's what you ain't understanding.
If you were running 0.050 and burned 1/2 tank of oil to 1 tank of fuel.....this won't change because you swapped to 0.063. Matter of fact, the same amount of oil in a wider gauge, leaves you with less concentration. Think about it.
Ya'll take some of this AS **** as gospel.....
Hell....I read what you're laying down years ago, and for a while I actually believed it. Just gotta do a little thinking on your own to realize it's just someone's opinion.

Wanna hear a fact?
The 0.063 is heavier right?
So that means more rotating mass!
Slower spool up n stuff....just sayin....
THANSK

Peace out Cub Scouts

Y'all full of ****.
If you were running 0.050 and burned 1/2 tank of oil to 1 tank of fuel.....this won't change because you swapped to 0.063. Matter of fact, the same amount of oil in a wider gauge, leaves you with less concentration. Think about.
Hell....I read what you're laying down years ago, and for a while I actually believed it. Just gotta do a little thinking on your own to realize it's just someone's opinion.

Wanna hear a fact?
THANSK

Peace out Cub Scouts
:numberone: x2

I would have to agree. I guess I do understand the chip comment but the way I look at it is if you pour 5 gallons of water down a foot wide channel its going to disperse for a longer distance than if you dump 5 gallons of water down a 10ft wide channel. Your displacement will be the same no matter what. Just my .02

Y'all full of ****.
If you were running 0.050 and burned 1/2 tank of oil to 1 tank of fuel.....this won't change because you swapped to 0.063. Matter of fact, the same amount of oil in a wider gauge, leaves you with less concentration. Think about.

Wanna hear a fact?
THANSK

Peace out Cub Scouts

there's no place here for you and your logical thinking and reasoning. please depart from your own thread. :)

If you guys want to see the difference in oiling in real life ,strap your saw to an alaska mill and see which combo oils the best without any oiler mods .The math calculation thing is worthless in the real work environment . Just sayin

Latest posts

Back