Hybrid Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We need more hybrid vids while we're waitin on Jer to replace his fubared crank..... And stuff
I have never uploaded a video here. But if my full circle piston ever gets here for the jred 670, I'll do a 630 converted to 272xp vs 625 converted to 670 shootout video in 24" ash...you know, just to pass the time. I need to try out the new 28" GB bar and chain. Then I'll convert the chain to square filed and check times. Maybe see where the bear sh!ts in the buckwheat with this whole square filing thing

I agree with Jeremy that pump output is fixed for any given setting, regardless of gauge. The only thing I can come up with to logically explain .063 oiling better than .050 is that the wider DL will pick up a greater quantity of oil, carrying more oil down the trails.
Yea I'm pickin up what you're layin down now. It's not how much can "fit" in the groove, it's how much can stay on the front of the driver before it furrows off to the side and falls down in the bar groove. Makes perfect sense now

So I don't have mathematical formulas to prove my point but I'm going off of a "logic" point of view like Jeremy said.
A oil pump in this case is rated off volume over time (volume per minute I believe is the normal). Anyhow so for easier math reasons let's say 100mm cubed over one minute. If the volume of the space between two drivers on a .050 chain is .5mm cubed. For arguements sake let's say you have .6mm cubed to take into account for wider channel. If you figure out the math for 71 gaps or however many it is for your so and so chain, you get a your pump volume divide by chain gaps. So having that you would still have the same amount of oil per gap. Let's say you have .4mm cubed of oil per gap, (once again throwing out numbers) the percentage of the gap being filled with bar oil is less on a bigger gapped bar. Math is math...
Now to take it to the next level you figure out the amount of surface area on each tooth of a .063 is technically "larger" so the amount of oil to the amount of surface area per driver is at a less percentage as well. This should make sense, think it out.

Ok then in the "temperature theories." It takes more energy to heat up "more material." Which like dink said, "more material means more rotating mass, slower spool up"

I'm just stating my theory.

Questions? Comments? Requests of '"I have a potty mouth"'s or tar'd n featheredness?

Is the oiling hole the same size on 050 and 063 bars ?

Looks like my 404 bar oil holes are larger than my .375 @ .050 holes

Mark, although a pump has a certain capacity, it operates at a steady pressure (given the same engine RPMs).

If the pump capacity is less then the volume between the drivers in an .050 chain, then you & Jeremy are correct. However, if the .050 chain increases back pressure on the pump, then it would flow more oil into a .063 chain. (Lower resistance = more oil flow)

I admit that I don't know which scenario is accurate, but based on mdavlee's comments, I would lean toward the latter.

Mark, although a pump has a certain capacity, it operates at a steady pressure (given the same engine RPMs).

If the pump capacity is less then the volume between the drivers in an .050 chain, then you & Jeremy are correct. However, if the .050 chain increases back pressure on the pump, then it would flow more oil into a .063 chain. (Lower resistance = more oil flow)

I admit that I don't know which scenario is accurate, but based on mdavlee's comments, I would lean toward the latter.
In no way can I see these pumps filling the void between DLs. You'd be out of oil in a couple minutes. I don't think pressure is involved at all. I think it has everything to do with the chain's ability to move and carry oil. Just a guesstimation on my part though.

Back