I saw it on Ebay/Craigslist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not. Ebay doesn't help sellers very much, they just want the money rolling in! That's probably why they have lost sellers by the thousands in the last couple of years. The final value fee on shipping didn't help either...

I sell very little on ebay these days.

As a seller on there I feel like I'm open to rapists of all persuasions. :msp_ohmy:

I thought attorneys weren't allowed in small claims court. But I'm no legal expert either. It might be worth it in the long run, even if you lose a little money to get ebay's dirty deeds before the public. I hope it wouldn't go as far as the Supreme Court though...you know how tough that Roberts guy is...

I was very surprised to find that out as well. Just across the border in Cook County, IL (where there are more registered attorneys per capita than anywhere in the world) none is required by the plaintiff or defendant.

I have a buddy whose cousin is an attorney over there. Makes his (comfortable) living settling/trying just one case per year. In a way, I am envious.

I sell very little on ebay these days.

As a seller on there I feel like I'm open to rapists of all persuasions. :msp_ohmy:

Yep, me too. There's still a little money to be made (or lost) on there. I lost money on the last few saws I've sold. Believe it or not the saws I lose the most on are Stihls. You wouldn't think that's the case. I don't usually sell parts saws, I prefer to sell runners but if anything is wrong with a Stihl the parts are so expensive to get it going that you end up with more in it than it's worth. I've done better this year on Poulans than about anything. I've only had to deal with one or two con artists lately. I'm not gonna sell any more for awhile, just kinda enjoy the hobby part of it for now. I bought one today to operate on, shop near here says they couldn't get it running, that's the kind I like.

Yep, me too. There's still a little money to be made (or lost) on there. I lost money on the last few saws I've sold. Believe it or not the saws I lose the most on are Stihls. You wouldn't think that's the case. I don't usually sell parts saws, I prefer to sell runners but if anything is wrong with a Stihl the parts are so expensive to get it going that you end up with more in it than it's worth. I've done better this year on Poulans than about anything. I've only had to deal with one or two con artists lately. I'm not gonna sell any more for awhile, just kinda enjoy the hobby part of it for now. I bought one today to operate on, shop near here says they couldn't get it running, that's the kind I like.

With the Stihls I normally just hang on to them for either parts to fix other saws or I trade them to members here. That Contra I figured would bring more running than in parts.....I was wrong. :(

The ePay listing being discussed

Show All Questions

Re feePay taking a part of the shipping fee--Part of the blame can be put on the sellers who offered cutthroat prices, but made up for it with their shipping charges. Some sellers used to try to sneak in auctions offering BIN prices that were very, very obviously way under the value of the item, then charge outrageous shipping. Epay shut down a lot of those auctions. BTW, I'm not defending ePay, they seem to be doing their best to drive away sellers.

Husky 262XP for $200.00

Husqvarna 262xp chainsaw w/extra chains

I started a thread about this 038 Magnum II. The seller had it listed $60.00, decided to repair it when it he found out the prices they bring. He got it running, and listed it for $200.00. Something went wrong (read ad), and now it's relisted $100.00.

Stihl 038AV Magnum II Chainsaw

The ePay listing being discussed

Show All Questions

Re feePay taking a part of the shipping fee--Part of the blame can be put on the sellers who offered cutthroat prices, but made up for it with their shipping charges. Some sellers used to try to sneak in auctions offering BIN prices that were very, very obviously way under the value of the item, then charge outrageous shipping. Epay shut down a lot of those auctions. BTW, I'm not defending ePay, they seem to be doing their best to drive away sellers.

Husky 262XP for $200.00

Husqvarna 262xp chainsaw w/extra chains

I started a thread about this 038 Magnum II. The seller had it listed $60.00, decided to repair it when it he found out the prices they bring. He got it running, and listed it for $200.00. Something went wrong (read ad), and now it's relisted $100.00.

Stihl 038AV Magnum II Chainsaw

You can see that the "fix" they used never really solved the problem, people are free to charge as much as they want for shipping now, ebay just gets a percentage of the money. I feel that all they would have had to do is contact the seller and tell them they were charging too much shipping, instead they just gave themselves a raise. I feel that there might be a legal action there if someone wanted to pursue it because ebay has nothing to do with the shipping of an item, it's between the buyer, seller and the shipper.

Latest posts

Back