McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The place where mine leaks is in a corner where the tank hangs down. I doubt if tape would stick to the outside where it's corroded. I wonder if I could use some fiberglass cloth in the inside corner and cover it with JB Weld? I've also seen a few gas tanks on ebay but they're not for the 1-42. I wonder if some of the other 1-40 series tanks will fit it. They look pretty much the same as mine. Of course they may have leaks too.

Check the style of your and make sure you get the same thing as there were two distinct types. Late model 1-40 and 1-50 saws had a sort of divider to cover the front of the fuel tank and a oil tank with a manual pump attached as an add on. Other than that any 1-4X, 1-5X tanks without the oil pump are the same part number. Even the 200/300/400/500 tank front should work but the style is different and lacks the little "foot" on the bar side.

attachment.php

Mark

The large felt pad in the bottom of the tank is indeed the fuel filter.

I have an advertisement showing how you can pour water (soda in the ad) and saw dust/wood chips in the tank and the saw just keeps on running.

The large felt filter will absorb a lot of water, and since the filter area is so large it will take a lot of dirt to block it.

Mark

The good old fuel felt. I have a D-44 for which I am slowly acquiring some needed parts. The hardware, which is used to secure the felt to the bottom of the fuel tank, was removed by some previous owner, so the felt was just sitting loose down inside the tank. I decided to pull it out, and man, you talk about a funky old gas smell! :fart: I had to triple bag it in zip lock bags to keep the stench down. This was after I left it outside for a week trying to air it out & after washing it by hand with some purple cleaner. I wonder if an ultrasonic cleaner would help clean it without destroying it? Any ideas on sourcing new felt material?

One pound coffee cans are good for storing funky smelling carbs and such, the plastic top will withstand fuel for sometime. Every now and then, I remember to write on the lid what is in the can, saves a blast of fumes when trying to id something.

I think this saw has been floating on the FOR SALE block for awhile.
Might be the same? Might not!

But the stamp on the bottom I have seen is 1-92

Any ideas?

The hole is about an inch long and 1/4 inch wide or so. I guess I could probably stick something to the outside of the tank and then put some JB on the inside. I had a stick of gas tank leak stop but it had been so long since I used it that it dried on the cardboard backing. I might run down to the automotive store and buy some more of it.

Check the style of your and make sure you get the same thing as there were two distinct types. Late model 1-40 and 1-50 saws had a sort of divider to cover the front of the fuel tank and a oil tank with a manual pump attached as an add on. Other than that any 1-4X, 1-5X tanks without the oil pump are the same part number. Even the 200/300/400/500 tank front should work but the style is different and lacks the little "foot" on the bar side.

attachment.php

Mark

Mine doesn't look like either of those two.
attachment.php

Something else I noticed about this saw, on the rear handle there's no bottom brace like on the other Macs of this type. It has a plastic plug on the end of handle which looks like it belongs. Did McCulloch make this saw without that brace?
attachment.php

Last edited:
Could use some help IDing this cylinder.
I believe it is (well hoping) a 123cc possible 797 cylinder!

Thanks guys!

attachment.php

Here are some pics of the cylinder that is stamped 10144 16 K
Really curious as to what it is or belongs to?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
If the bore measures in at approx 58mm, then I would say it is a 797 cylinder. The port window on the L/H side, and the DSP system is another sign.

Well done - how is the bore ?

Regards,

Chris.

Thanks Chris!
It is58mm, double checked it off the piston as well.
It looks Great, I will give it a gentle cleaning, but real nice!
I need to start bugging every one then and molest Leeha's 797G threads!
Going to be a real row to hoe, to get this puppy were I want it.
If all goes well I will try to stuff it in my 890 chassis for a mean gear drive!
Try is the key word!!!!

Matt, I think you might have a CP125 cylinder.
All the 797's i have had apart "which is a few"
Had the boost port with the cover under the coil.
Your block doesn't have it. Strange too because your
block looks to have come out of the old style chassis,
Not a CP125 or SP125. Doe's yours have a chrome
bore or iron bore. Do you have the crank? 797's have
welded weights on the crank and the CP and SP have
bolt on weights.
In any case it will go into the 890 very easily with
just a modification to the stuffer.

Lee

Could this possibly be a late series 797 cylinder? The cylinder does not have the holes drilled and tapped which would accept the rear mount as fitted to the CP125 or SP125. Perhaps this was in the transition stage where the boost port window was eventually changed to the 'non accessible' type, as found in the later model engines ?

Interesting. I have cylinder which I believe has this same type of 'non removable' window casting. I will dig it out tomorrow for a closer look.

Regards,

Chris.

Mine doesn't look like either of those two
Something else I noticed about this saw, on the rear handle there's no bottom brace like on the other Macs of this type. It has a plastic plug on the end of handle which looks like it belongs. Did McCulloch make this saw without that brace?
attachment.php

There were quite a few of the 1-41/42/43 saws built without the lower brace.

The tank front from any 1-41/51, 1-42/52, 1-43/53, 1-45, 1-46, or 200/300/400/500 should work just fine on your saw.

1-42
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

There were quite a few of the 1-41/42/43 saws built without the lower brace.

The tank front from any 1-41/51, 1-42/52, 1-43/53, 1-45, 1-46, or 200/300/400/500 should work just fine on your saw.

1-42
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark
They sure made those old Macs in a lot of configurations. I tried to get an IPL for my saw but didn't have any luck. I have some other stuff to do this week, I'll probably set it back, maybe get back to it in a week or two. I might try to pick up a parts saw in a couple of weeks. I kinda liked this one because it had the Tilly carb on it, easier for me to work on and get parts for. I think if I get another one of these oldies I'm gonna check the underside a little closer.

Latest posts

Back