McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old McCulloch = corrosion problems.

As Brian has described, I bead blast and have had good success putting tape on the outside and JB Weld on the inside, really makes for a nice repair. I have patched both fuel tanks and gear cases this way and so far they seem to hold up very well.

Mark,

What kind of tape do you use?

In the later 250 IPL there is a note that says "part numbers which have been changed since the previous printing of the illustrated parts list covering these saws, are indicated with a dash (-) preceeding the new part number."

I have exactly the same IPL drawing with the old number for the 1-43 (48485) and the new part number for the 250 (68282). The SP105 is the same 68282 part number as the 250, which is the same part number as the 1-43. Don't you love the way parts work back and forth on the good old McCulloch saws?

Mark

Mark,
My May, 1962 ipl shows the 1-43 flywheel with a 48785 part number. When I took mine off, it has the number 57946 on it. I have not yet taken the sp105 flywheel off again to see if they look the same.
Jim

Jim - I am pretty sure you will find that any flywheel from a large frame horizontal saw (with the exception of the D-44/55 Series) will work. The biggest differences were the D-30/36 had teeth cast in the rim for the starter, and the right hand start models don't have the pawls and springs in place, but all of the needed holes are there already.

I have not checked the weights to see if there were any differences but I doubt it.

Mark

Last edited:
Could this possibly be a late series 797 cylinder? The cylinder does not have the holes drilled and tapped which would accept the rear mount as fitted to the CP125 or SP125. Perhaps this was in the transition stage where the boost port window was eventually changed to the 'non accessible' type, as found in the later model engines ?

Interesting. I have cylinder which I believe has this same type of 'non removable' window casting. I will dig it out tomorrow for a closer look.

Regards,

Chris.

I suppose that could be possible Chris.
But i would have thought it would have the
threaded holes for the rear av mount. I have a
cylinder just like Matt's but it has the threaded
holes and no boost port at all. With a cast iron
cylinder, not chrome.
Without the boost port it should have the power
of a CP or SP125 which is a tad less than the 797.

Lee

Certainly interesting Lee. Here are a few pics of a parts saw I have here at the moment. This is the remains of what I believe is a 797. The bore is approx 58mm, block has DSP, and the handle bracket / tank config is the same as my Super 797.

As you can see in the photo, the block does not have the port window - it is integral to the casting. This cylinder does not appear to have the mounting boss, and holes drilled and tapped to accept the rear AV mount (as is the case with CP125 cylinders). It also has the cast iron sleeve. The cylinder does not have any numbers on it at all, and is free of paint, so I am assuming it is a replacement.

I will strip this one down today for a good cleanup and post a few more pics later.

Regards,

Chris.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Certainly interesting Lee. Here are a few pics of a parts saw I have here at the moment. This is the remains of what I believe is a 797. The bore is approx 58mm, block has DSP, and the handle bracket / tank config is the same as my Super 797.

As you can see in the photo, the block does not have the port window - it is integral to the casting. This cylinder does not appear to have the mounting boss, and holes drilled and tapped to accept the rear AV mount (as is the case with CP125 cylinders). It also has the cast iron sleeve. The cylinder does not have any numbers on it at all, and is free of paint, so I am assuming it is a replacement.

I will strip this one down today for a good cleanup and post a few more pics later.

Regards,

Chris.

This is interesting. I will have to check a few that i haven't had appart. But all the ones i have worked on so far have had the boost port and cover. Even a Super 797.
Yours with the yellow top tank might be a Super 797.
Seems as though all the black tank tops were the regular 797 and the yellow tank tops were the Supers. From what i have seen anyways.
Doe's this 797 carcass have thin or thick rings.

Lee

Those 797/125's are strong. I ran my 1st this weekend and was sweet. I think I got the bug

Abandon all hope, yee who handle the yellow and black, for there is no salvation for thee, who sins knowingly.

I was raised with Homelites, blue XLs, C5s, 5-20....didn't really know anything else existed. When I was 17, I went to work on nieghboring ranch, the old guy drug out a big yellow chainsaw, we commenced on a big Madrone. It was like seeing a chainsaw for the first time, the whole expirience left a life long impression on me. I had to have one, the next time I got to a town, in this case Ferndale, I walked into the feedstore with very hard earned 150 bucks. I strutted out of there with a nice hot running 250 with a 24" rollernose. My Grandad rolled his eyes, asked about the C9 that he thought I was buying. I told him it felt funny, left it at that. My Grandad was a Homelite guy, he had some anvil class Malls, Terrills, but his drinking buddy sold Homelites. A couple years later, I had a drinking buddy who sold tinkered with McCullochs.

WOW!

This is were I need to get in were I fit in! (Cream Sickles! LOL!)

This seems to be like a puzzle, that is always changing!
I give it a 50/50 chance I make it thru my project!

This is interesting. I will have to check a few that i haven't had appart. But all the ones i have worked on so far have had the boost port and cover. Even a Super 797.
Seems as though all the black tank tops were the regular 797 and the yellow tank tops were the Supers. From what i have seen anyways.

Lee[/QUOTE]

Hi

I have finished stripping the parts saw, and after a quick dip in the degreaser - here is the cylinder. I checked the bore size again to make sure and it is a tad over 57.9mm. The cylinder has been replaced on this saw, as the condition is paint free with no ID numbers stamped into it. As can be seen, the port window does not exist, and there are no holes drilled and tapped for a rear AV mount.

I think that you are right Lee - this was a Super 797. There was no crank or piston with the saw so cannot answer whether it had thick or thin rings.

Regards,

Chris.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Lee

Chris, I also have a Super 797 "so i think" because it has
the super 797 carb assembly, And it has no numbers on
the block. If i get a chance i will pull the flywheel cover
and see if there is a boost port cover. Maybe the replacement blocks didn't have the boost port but then
matt's block is painted yellow. But who knows what went
on back then.

Lee
Hi

I have finished stripping the parts saw, and after a quick dip in the degreaser - here is the cylinder. I checked the bore size again to make sure and it is a tad over 57.9mm. The cylinder has been replaced on this saw, as the condition is paint free with no ID numbers stamped into it. As can be seen, the port window does not exist, and there are no holes drilled and tapped for a rear AV mount.

I think that you are right Lee - this was a Super 797. There was no crank or piston with the saw so cannot answer whether it had thick or thin rings.

Regards,

Chris.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

Super44A is running, just needs a carb kit.
What a challenge to start. It is more like a 2 man saw without the helper handle, dad held the handle, and I worked the throttle, choke, and pull rope.

Will try to get some pictures up soon

Chris, I also have a Super 797 "so i think" because it has
the super 797 carb assembly, And it has no numbers on
the block. If i get a chance i will pull the flywheel cover
and see if there is a boost port cover. Maybe the replacement blocks didn't have the boost port but then
matt's block is painted yellow. But who knows what went
on back then.

Lee

Hi Lee,

It certainly is a challenge with the id of these saws sometimes! This parts saw was fitted with the Tillotson carb - which from my IPL was fitted to the earlier Super 797's. My complete Super 797 was fitted with the McCulloch / Walbro SDC carb - as indicated in the later release IPL for the model.

It will be good to see what that Super 797 of yours has underneath. Is it fitted with the Tillotson or SDC carb setup?

Looking forward to the next installment of this one.

Regards,

Chris.

Hi Lee,

It certainly is a challenge with the id of these saws sometimes! This parts saw was fitted with the Tillotson carb - which from my IPL was fitted to the earlier Super 797's. My complete Super 797 was fitted with the McCulloch / Walbro SDC carb - as indicated in the later release IPL for the model.

It will be good to see what that Super 797 of yours has underneath. Is it fitted with the Tillotson or SDC carb setup?

Looking forward to the next installment of this one.

Regards,

Chris.

Well Chris, I had a few minutes to remove the flywheel
cover and this Super 797 doe's not have the boost port and cover. It is fitted with the SDC carb assembly. I only have one IPL for the Super 797 and it shows the boost port cover. And the SDC carb setup. I would like to see your
early IPL with the Tillotson carb setup. Doe's it give a carb number. One of my Supers has the Tillotson and i thought it was swaped out years ago. But maybe it's original.
Learning something everyday with these things.

Lee

Well Chris, I had a few minutes to remove the flywheel
cover and this Super 797 doe's not have the boost port and cover. It is fitted with the SDC carb assembly. I only have one IPL for the Super 797 and it shows the boost port cover. And the SDC carb setup. I would like to see your
early IPL with the Tillotson carb setup. Doe's it give a carb number. One of my Supers has the Tillotson and i thought it was swaped out years ago. But maybe it's original.
Learning something everyday with these things.

Lee

I think back them McCulloch used whatever was handy. I worked in a large Fortune 500 company and we did that. It's gotta go down the line no matter what it's built with!

Abandon all hope, yee who handle the yellow and black, for there is no salvation for thee, who sins knowingly.

I was raised with Homelites, blue XLs, C5s, 5-20....didn't really know anything else existed. When I was 17, I went to work on nieghboring ranch, the old guy drug out a big yellow chainsaw, we commenced on a big Madrone. It was like seeing a chainsaw for the first time, the whole expirience left a life long impression on me. I had to have one, the next time I got to a town, in this case Ferndale, I walked into the feedstore with very hard earned 150 bucks. I strutted out of there with a nice hot running 250 with a 24" rollernose. My Grandad rolled his eyes, asked about the C9 that he thought I was buying. I told him it felt funny, left it at that. My Grandad was a Homelite guy, he had some anvil class Malls, Terrills, but his drinking buddy sold Homelites. A couple years later, I had a drinking buddy who sold tinkered with McCullochs.

I love my homies but when I start filling the garage with yellow...We are gonna blame Lee for that! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back