McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was a large ash tree on the other side of the block, project from last summer.

As I was finishing the cut through the log I could feel it starting to bind so WOT and pull it out in a hurry...

Mark

Dangerous things those big geardrives. Hey Mark, come on out to the next GTG, I'll show you how to buck the bind without being chased by your saw or using wedges. Never think that I really believe that wedge use is silly for bucking, for most sawyers there is little alternative. I was taught not to use them for bucking, the type of training I had was not common, even back then.

Dangerous things those big geardrives. Hey Mark, come on out to the next GTG, I'll show you how to buck the bind without being chased by your saw or using wedges. Never think that I really believe that wedge use is silly for bucking, for most sawyers there is little alternative. I was taught not to use them for bucking, the type of training I had was not common, even back then.

Explain please. I hate to use wedges, but I do it now and then in the bid stuff. I got a saw stuck one time and had a hell of a time getting it out. Finally used an old black powder splitter on the other side and blew it out. Didn't hurt a thing, unless you count the tree. JR

Explain please. I hate to use wedges, but I do it now and then in the bid stuff. I got a saw stuck one time and had a hell of a time getting it out. Finally used an old black powder splitter on the other side and blew it out. Didn't hurt a thing, unless you count the tree. JR

Sorry, it almost has to be shown, as in you do it, I throw rocks. I don't have much typing left in my fingers right now, the magic is on a break.

Sorry, it almost has to be shown, as in you do it, I throw rocks. I don't have much typing left in my fingers right now, the magic is on a break.

I think I know what Randy is talking about. I have done it may times in
logs when it starts to pinch the saw. I never use wedges eather.
When I had my Tree Business and removed date palms.
I would need to do it when sawing up the head of the palm.
As soon as you would start sawing, it would pinch the bar.
So all the way through the cut I would have to do it many
times to keep it sawing.

Don. http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

APJr
Not much in normal wood.
However, in the big stuff, OG Redwoods in particular, the wedges can be pressed into the wood, rendering them useless and possibly losing them.
Bucking without wedges is a usefull thing to know, regardless of size or type of wood.
I'll go soak my fingers in asprin, and maybe got a start on it later tonight.

I don't usually use wedges but their are those days nothing goes rite---Any learning is good learning what is the title to look for

Last edited:
You can run into problems where the wedge keeps the log from closing in one direction, but instead pivots around the point of the wedge (meaning it moves side-to-side instead of closing 'straight up'). I've used them a few times when bucking a big oak windfall laying sideways on a sidehill. Made damn sure I was standing on the uphill side, and placed a wedge in the downhill side of the cut (by reaching over the log with the wedge and my axe) as well as the top. Didn't wanna have to fight a pinched saw in that situation...:censored:

I freely admit that I'm just a rank amature here however, and would never take on the kind of trees/logs that Randy and the other Pros here did and do (at least without their close supervision)...:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back