Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe you guys would like to see some old adds, that list some prices on the smaller saws.

They were groundbreaking saws at the time with there prices.

attachment.php

A XXV ad fom 1971

attachment.php

The Super XXV from 1974

attachment.php

Maybe you guys would like to see some old adds, that list some prices on the smaller saws.

They were groundbreaking saws at the time with there prices.

attachment.php

A XXV ad fom 1971

attachment.php

The Super XXV from 1974

attachment.php

Those actually were a bit cheaper than the little Homelites. I bought a Super 2 back then for $149.99 from a local hardware store. I'm not sure where or if they had a Poulan dealer around here. I've got both small Homelites and Poulans and have to say the 25SD Poulan cuts the fastest. Both saws as far as I'm concerned last a long time (I still have the Super 2, started it this week) but the Homelite cuts slower. When the saws of today get this old they'll probably be in the landfill.

I had an almost mint 3400 that was a real slouch to run. It had the chrome plated piston. I found a 4000 that had several problems and used all of the parts that made it a 4000 and transferred them to the 3400. The reworked 3400 is not a slouch. Not much difference though between the 4000, and 3700. The super 25 is an excellent saw. I have had several of them and all got the job done.

Last edited:
I had an almost mint 3400 that was a real slouch to run. It had the chrome plated piston. I found a 4000 that had several problems and used all of the parts that made it a 4000 and transferred them to the 3400. The reworked 3400 is not a slouch. Not much difference though between the 4000, and 3700. The super 25 is an excellent saw. I have had several of them and all got the job done.

Well it wasn't the chrome plated piston that made it that way. Its the fact that its a sub 55cc saw and thats probably why it didn't impress you.

Your right about the 3700/4000. My muffler modded 3700 is now slouch for sure.

Not saying its faster then the modern saws of today, but I will say it hangs in there quite well with a 357, 036 etc. In fact if you stop to wipe your brow a time or two with a 357 that 3700 will be right there with you for wood cut.

Yup. Like I mentioned on this site I have one S25DA and a S25CVA and am always amazed at the power. I opened up the muffler on the CVA and it rips.
Bob

Did you ever figure out what to do about the P&C for that saw, Bob?

I cleaned up piston somewhat, but Mike (RMS61Moparman) kindly offered to take a wack at the cylinder. Said he's had good success on some other P&Cs. Two heads are better than one so I took him up on his offer. Currently in process of repainting saw and thought re-ringing made sense.
Bob

Hey guys I want to take a moment and thank Steve(67 mustang) for all the help the other day. It was great to watch a Poulan pro in action. The way you tore into that monster and fixed it was amazing, even if you had to do the recoil 3 times.

He ran his saws down here and made LP and me rethink the Poulan saws as we are out hunting down saws. Hope to get the others running soon. Thanks again Mr Steve. Come on back soon.
Joe

Anyone who would drive 3000 miles to run a bunch of old green saws has GOT to be a good man!!!

Mike
Couldn't agree more with Nik & Mike.:rock: Got to spend several days with Steve this spring. Would call him family, and is welcome back any time! Even though he does talk funny.:D

:cheers:
Gregg,

5200 Project

Wanted to post a few pics of the Ugly Beast I been workin on. I guess it could be a beauty too, depending on your point of view.
Its been going fairly well, was pretty rough, but had a great P/C, that was a BIG plus.
I have hit a snag though. The oiler line and pickup were rattling around in the tank. So I pulled the oiler, following the service manual procedure, and following Marks advice to replace the o-ring in there also.

The adjuster screw would turn in either direction without stopping. Something was for sure not right. Well, I broke the housing after struggling with it..(Dammit) Even after I fad it apart, there was no way to get the adj. screw to engage, so its probably good I broke it. So the search, begging, lol begins for another oiler. I think the 5200/4200 use the same part, so that might make the search easier.

There is still a number of small things that need taking care of, fixed, or whatever. But hopefully she will live again.

100_0487.jpg

100_0490.jpg

100_0494.jpg

100_0497.jpg

100_0496.jpg

100_0498.jpg

Gregg,

Wanted to post a few pics of the Ugly Beast I been workin on. I guess it could be a beauty too, depending on your point of view.
Its been going fairly well, was pretty rough, but had a great P/C, that was a BIG plus.
I have hit a snag though. The oiler line and pickup were rattling around in the tank. So I pulled the oiler, following the service manual procedure, and following Marks advice to replace the o-ring in there also.

The adjuster screw would turn in either direction without stopping. Something was for sure not right. Well, I broke the housing after struggling with it..(Dammit) Even after I fad it apart, there was no way to get the adj. screw to engage, so its probably good I broke it. So the search, begging, lol begins for another oiler. I think the 5200/4200 use the same part, so that might make the search easier.

There is still a number of small things that need taking care of, fixed, or whatever. But hopefully she will live again.

100_0487.jpg

100_0490.jpg

100_0494.jpg

100_0497.jpg

100_0496.jpg

100_0498.jpg

Gregg,

If you talk real nice and use a SOUTHERN accent, I might know a guy that has one of those on a parts saw!!!LOL

Mike

Back