Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm going to join this group/thread if you'll have me. I've been working on my recently acquired Poulan 3400 CV with a bow bar. It had a broken rear handle but tons of compression, so I did what any reasonable person would do. I bought a parts saw off of eBay and have had it shipped!

Now, I've read how well this saw performs and with the fact that it was a gift from a friend for helping him out (he's in his seventies, had a tree go down, you know the story) I had to get it going. Well, it's almost done, and I wanted another one. I learned that certain Skil and a Craftsman saws were Poulan saws, just rebadged respectively. I learned this from this thread by the way!

So here's the good part. I'm traveling in Lynchburg, VA today and went to a fairly nice Pawn Shop. Two (2) Poulan 3400 CV's were present, one for $175.00 (WOW, and it wasn't the nice one) and another for $125.00. The more expensive saw was in poor condition, IMHO. The lesser priced saw had good decals, less paint loss, newer bar, and a fairly good chain. We tried to get her going and did. She had good/great compression, and revved well. Then she bogged down and died.

The proprietor said that he would not sell it to me in that condition, and I respected that. I asked for a deal anyway, and I got her out the door with tax for $85.00. I don't think that's too bad, given I don't have to pay shipping and so on. So, I have the better of the two, and another Poulan to add to the collection! This hobby rocks! Now, all I need is................

Best, Max. :)

are you kidding?!?! Welcome to the site and anyone can join the group run by Mike (rms61moparm) Always good to see another saw nut with great taste.

Well, I'm going to join this group/thread if you'll have me. I've been working on my recently acquired Poulan 3400 CV with a bow bar. It had a broken rear handle but tons of compression, so I did what any reasonable person would do. I bought a parts saw off of eBay and have had it shipped!

Now, I've read how well this saw performs and with the fact that it was a gift from a friend for helping him out (he's in his seventies, had a tree go down, you know the story) I had to get it going. Well, it's almost done, and I wanted another one. I learned that certain Skil and a Craftsman saws were Poulan saws, just rebadged respectively. I learned this from this thread by the way!

So here's the good part. I'm traveling in Lynchburg, VA today and went to a fairly nice Pawn Shop. Two (2) Poulan 3400 CV's were present, one for $175.00 (WOW, and it wasn't the nice one) and another for $125.00. The more expensive saw was in poor condition, IMHO. The lesser priced saw had good decals, less paint loss, newer bar, and a fairly good chain. We tried to get her going and did. She had good/great compression, and revved well. Then she bogged down and died.

The proprietor said that he would not sell it to me in that condition, and I respected that. I asked for a deal anyway, and I got her out the door with tax for $85.00. I don't think that's too bad, given I don't have to pay shipping and so on. So, I have the better of the two, and another Poulan to add to the collection! This hobby rocks! Now, all I need is................

Welcome and were gonna need pics.. We love pics.

Glad to have you here Max, your more then welcome.

I got to get me one of those bow bars one of these days.

are you kidding?!?! Welcome to the site and anyone can join the group run by Mike (rms61moparm) Always good to see another saw nut with great taste.

:agree2:

Glad to have you on board! I'm not a die-hard Poulan guy like these other fellas, but as far as I know they don't hold it against me. :D

:cheers:

The 4000 is paid for. Should be here soon.

Glad you got it Brad:)

I already have one so I shouldnt hog em all up, but I would have if you wouldnt have beat me too it. Well I guess someone else would have beaten me to it anyway. :givebeer:

Besides, I'm really looking for a burnt up 3400 or 3700 to put this good 3700 top end on, so I will have a 3700 to sit between the 3400 and 4000.

Glad you got it Brad:)

I already have one so I shouldnt hog em all up, but I would have if you wouldnt have beat me too it. Well I guess someone else would have beaten me to it anyway. :givebeer:

Besides, I'm really looking for a burnt up 3400 or 3700 to put this good 3700 top end on, so I will have a 3700 to sit between the 3400 and 4000.

Let me see what I've got. Have alot of 3400 cases that you may want to put your 3700 parts on
Bob.

Hi everyone. I was wondering how much a 3450 in excellent condition is worth? I don't how old it is, but it almost identical to this one.
Timbermaster3450LE_Anim.gif

It looks like it's almost never been used; apparently the previous owner wasn't using it much and there was an issue with the carburetor that has supposedly been fixed (it's located at a farm and home type store that repairs small engines). It started and ran great. Had a very different sound than my 034 super; sounded powerful, though.

They are asking $150.

Not sure if I want to buy another used saw, though. I bought an 034 super and have had a lot of issues with it, compounded by having a rough time finding replacements parts. Damn that thing cuts when the oiler's working, though!

Thanks for any advice!

Welcome Max! Your gonna find these fellas the friendliest, most helpfull people to be found on any forum. Back when I joined this site, year ago, I thought I was the Lone Ranger, still using and old green saw to cut wood with. There is more of us out there, than you might think! and new converts all the time..:cheers:

Gregg,

Jenera ehh? I actually know where that is. I have a good friend that lives there, Rob Frankart. That's just south of my wifes family a few miles. I'd love to come. Basically I bought this saw as my ticket to join you guys tight little group. I love the way you guys love these saws for what they are. They're not the newest, the latest, or the fastest. But you're passionate about them for just what they are. I think that's cool. You won't mind if I try to make mine the fastest do you?:) I can't help myself, lol.

Brad, I new some Frankarts when I was a kid. They were over by Arcadia, when I was in grade school. There was a Kieth Frankart in my class as I recall, That was many years ago!! LOL
If you know where Jenera is, your one of the few..LOL I'm in sight of the grain silos from the elevator, so Im easy to locate.
Gonna be interesting to see what the full potental of these saws is, when you get workin on one. Heck, mine are all stock, except for some some slight muffler mods.

Gregg,

Hi everyone. I was wondering how much a 3450 in excellent condition is worth? I don't how old it is, but it almost identical to this one.

It looks like it's almost never been used; apparently the previous owner wasn't using it much and there was an issue with the carburetor that has supposedly been fixed (it's located at a farm and home type store that repairs small engines). It started and ran great. Had a very different sound than my 034 super; sounded powerful, though.

They are asking $150.

Not sure if I want to buy another used saw, though. I bought an 034 super and have had a lot of issues with it, compounded by having a rough time finding replacements parts. Damn that thing cuts when the oiler's working, though!

Thanks for any advice!

Welcome to AS. I don't know anything about the newer ones, Modified Mark will be along shortly, he's the resident expert. In the mean time, there's this to keep you interested.
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/dfea1a3cc60807c688256d62001797fd?OpenDocument

They are asking $150.

Thanks for any advice!

Welcome Garmar!

So you found a nice 3450 huh? Far as I'm concerned your the only one who can determine it's worth to you. That saw is 54cc so it's a little smaller then your 034 Super and I myself would perfer the yellow Poulan Pro version (335?) with its chrome lined bore, but if that saw is tuned right and taken care of it will still cut alot of fire wood in a day and last quite a few years.

I have a little larger (60cc) version of that saw, a Poulan Pro 365 that I am sure will cut side by side all day with a 034 Super and I actually prefer the controls and handling of it to the 034 that I had. It maybe a tad lighter also.

That said, ask yourself, what do you expect out of it? What do you intend for its major use? What can you buy for $150?

Welcome to site. You might want to look on Ebay for 3400's are now in the dumps price wise. Saw one that expired w/o any bids and one currently at $16.00. Maybe its the time of year but I recall 3400's going for $75 -$90. Clean and rebuild that carb and I bet you'll be good to go. Aagin welcome.
Bob

Welcome Garmar!

So you found a nice 3450 huh? Far as I'm concerned your the only one who can determine it's worth to you. That saw is 54cc so it's a little smaller then your 034 Super and I myself would perfer the yellow Poulan Pro version (335?) with its chrome lined bore, but if that saw is tuned right and taken care of it will still cut alot of fire wood in a day and last quite a few years.

I have a little larger (60cc) version of that saw, a Poulan Pro 365 that I am sure will cut side by side all day with a 034 Super and I actually prefer the controls and handling of it to the 034 that I had. It maybe a tad lighter also.

That said, ask yourself, what do you expect out of it? What do you intend for its major use? What can you buy for $150?

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

The main reservation I had about buying was the power/weight issue; that thing was heavy compared to my 034. I think that I might just buy it if the guy will let me cut a little firewood with it on site. A buddy of mine has an older Poulan that I've begged borrowed and come close to steal to get him to sell to me. The thing is all metal and you can't stop the thing no matter how hard you push it. It has the thumb pump for extra oil.

I guess the other issue is that my wife has given the go-ahead to buy a new 460 Rancher and they're $50 off this month at the same shop the Poulan is for sale.

Decisions, decisions... :dunno:

FATGUY said:
Welcome to AS. I don't know anything about the newer ones, Modified Mark will be along shortly, he's the resident expert. In the mean time, there's this to keep you interested.
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.ns...d?OpenDocument

Thanks for the link and the welcome. That's an informative site.

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

The main reservation I had about buying was the power/weight issue; that thing was heavy compared to my 034. I think that I might just buy it if the guy will let me cut a little firewood with it on site. A buddy of mine has an older Poulan that I've begged borrowed and come close to steal to get him to sell to me. The thing is all metal and you can't stop the thing no matter how hard you push it. It has the thumb pump for extra oil.

I guess the other issue is that my wife has given the go-ahead to buy a new 460 Rancher and they're $50 off this month at the same shop the Poulan is for sale.

Decisions, decisions... :dunno:

Thanks for the link and the welcome. That's an informative site.

I think the weight issue would be moot and off hand I don't know the exact weight of a 034, but I had one once and would be a little surprised if there was much difference in them as far as weight goes.

Oh and after further thought I remembered that the 3450 is the green (unplated) version of the Poulan Pro 330.

Last edited:
I think the weight issue would be moot and off hand I don't know the exact weight of a 034, but I had one once and would be a little surprised if there was much difference in them as far as weight goes.

I agree. I keep forgetting that I just bought a small saw for limbing. I only use the 034 for sectioning and felling anyway and the extra weight is nice.I'm thinking about just buying the saw after I test drive it a bit and it if it cuts well.

Thanks again!

I would be hesitant to put that much in a used 3450.
I've seen them in like new condition sell for $100.00 or less.

I guess the first question is "What do you want the saw to do"?
If you are looking for a limber (yes I know you said you just bought one but most of us like to have at least 3 copies of each size) the XX, XXV, S25 are as good as it gets.
If you are looking for something a little bit larger, there are some of the Yellow Poulan Pros that are VERY nice saws and usually can be had very reasonably. (At least until it starts getting around that there is a group of us that are looking for them, then the price will skyrocket)
The 3400 would be my choice here as it is the most versatile Poulan ever, in my opinion.

The larger Poulans are becoming less common and they are escalating in price.
The 3700 is the same saw as the 3400 with a larger piston and cylinder and a bit more power.
The workhorse of this series is the 4000 with a still larger P/C and enough power to take on ANYTHING the average homeowner or firewood cutter will likely encounter.
A 4000 was recently stolen....er....sold here on the site that will be AMAZING in less than 2 weeks.

Welcome to the site and please feel free to join the Poulan Lovers Group where we discuss (practically) nothing but Poulans.

It's hard to believe there has been such an escalation of interest in these fine old saws. When I first joined, it seemed like "Poulan" was a dirty word.

Mike

Poulan Information

I Found The Following Information In An Old Poulan Pro Service Manual:
Cylinder Application Chart For Poulan/Weedeater With Part Number, Bore Size,
& Model
Piston Application Chart
Beard-Poulan Private Label Crossover List
I Don't Know How To Attach It.

If Anybody Wants This Info, I Will be Glad To Email it To You or
Maybe I Can Email It To Someone Who Can Post It
Looks Like Some pretty Good Info
Bo